ADVERTISEMENT

JP going bye bye

GACMAN

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2004
announcing for the draft…..just announced on Twitter!!!!!

wonder if this opens the door and changes anything on the recruiting front!!!!

Re: Tokoto to the NBA

Of the 4 early entry possibilities, I thought Tokoto would be the least likely to go. Best of luck to him on this next step in his career.

WOW . . . I am shocked by this.

Best of luck going forward JP, I'll be pulling for you . . !

Originally posted by Tru Blu Tar Heel:

Originally posted by GACMAN:
Room for Ingram to step in at the 2 from day 1?
The door is wide open . .

Oh well.... I won't have to scream NOOOOOOOOOO when he pulls up for a mid range jumper next year.
I wish him all the best. I liked him a bunch. Just hope this doesn't start an epidemic you know.

I just don't get this at all.

He is admitting his game is not where it needs to be yet he's going to go anyway? Admitted that he's a 2nd round pick which has no guaranteed contract and he's going to go anyway? He can be a part of a national champion next year and he's still going to go anyway?

He's a poor man's MKG in the NBA, no one wants that. Work on your jumper in Chapel Hill kid.

That being said, he's not signing with an agent so he may just test the waters.

Damn, a 6'9" two guard! I'm cool with that.

Wow. Something tells me this has more to do with the near certainty that JP was going to - at some point during next season - become the 6th man off the bench, and he just mentally isn't prepared for that.

His game is obviously not ready for the next level, but wishing him the best none-the-less. Even playing overseas is a decent salary. Best of luck...

There's more to this story it seems. Wonder if the rumors around issues with him in the locker room mid year led to this? I tend to think there's something here. A kid that is as limited as he is enters the draft early and confirms that he realizes he's a 2nd round pick at best if picked at all. Somebody hit the stupid button please. Regardless he's grown and can make his own decisions. Thank you for your time at the Hill and good luck in the future Mr Tokoto.

Good news is this opens up things on the wing for returners and recruits.

Originally posted by yrusonvus:

Damn, a 6'9" two guard! I'm cool with that.
Or Brown!!!

Addition by subtracting

With Tokoto gone, does this open up a new starting 5 of

Berry
Paige
Jackson
Brice
Meeks?

It was painfully obvious at the end of the season that that was our best lineup, Paige is better off the ball and our offense flows better with a true point guard like Berry running the offense

Tokoto made an interesting comment when announcing his decision tonight that Roy wasn't pushing him to be all he could be at UNC. Thinks he'd be pushed further in the NBA. In the middle of the season Marcus alluded to a fellow junior not buying into Roy's system. All signs lead to Tokoto having issues in the lockerroom. Wish him the best, but if there were problems in the locker room hopefully they will be cleared up next season!

This post was edited on 4/8 9:53 PM by babe7671

This post was edited on 4/8 9:54 PM by babe7671

Is he even in the top 100?? D League or overseas. I don't know much about the international game , but isn't shooting more of a premium?

Good luck, JP. Wish you the best. Enjoyed seeing you in Carolina Blue...........But, BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Not sure how this hurts the team. Kinda think it solves the playing time for Joel Berry problem. Theo will fill JP's role and do it better. Good luck to JP. I do like the kid and think he could've improved individually next year, but I'm not losing sleep over this and I doubt anyone else in the unc program is either.

Originally posted by matty1212:
Berry
Paige
Jackson
Johnson
Meeks
Ya, I really like JP and think he helped the team a lot, but this was clearly the best lineup towards the end of the year. Gotta figure that's the only starting 5 we can assume now, barring Theo really making strides in the offseason and forcing Marcus back to PG and Berry to the bench (which I highly doubt, but Roy seems to do the darndest things so who knows). I'm hoping Ingram sees this as an opportunity to be a solid 6-7th man with the potential upside of snagging a starting spot (or at least starters minutes) come conference play.

Again, I'm a big JP guy, but if this ends up swinging the needle to UNC for a big recruit it could be the best thing that's happened to the program in awhile.

Re: Addition by subtracting

I'm torn.

I really liked JP and believed he could have been a great senior next year, but....

I really like the line-up you've put there and believe this is the best line-up for the Heels in 15-16.

Now, if a highly ranked recruit chose to come to the Hill then they'd be a terrific addition off the bench at #2 or #3.

Originally posted by crysdawn:

Good luck, JP. Wish you the best. Enjoyed seeing you in Carolina Blue...........But, BIG MISTAKE!!!!
Agree with everything but the mistake part.

Lets face it, JP may have ended up playing off the bench next season. If so, it'd torpedo any hope of being drafted in June '16. At least this way he can go through the process, and use the combine/try-outs to wow the scouts with his athleticism and highlight reel dunks.

He'll play for pay somewhere next year, and I wish nothing but the best.

Originally posted by TeamCarolina71:
What were the rumors. I never heard anything.
There were some rumblings about certain things. Nothing worth really throwing around at this point. Just wish JP well and pull for him in the NBA.

If he can land somewhere with patience having trainers and the time to work on nothing but his game then maybe he can one day become the player he thinks he is or should be. I hope so.

Based on his comments about not being 'pushed' at UNC, it sounds like he wasn't going to let himself be coached by our staff....if that's the case, then better to leave now than risk screwing with locker room chemistry next year when this team could be special.

Originally posted by Ozheelfan:

I'm torn.

I really liked JP and believed he could have been a great senior next year, but....

I really like the line-up you've put there and believe this is the best line-up for the Heels in 15-16.

Now, if a highly ranked recruit chose to come to the Hill then they'd be a terrific addition off the bench at #2 or #3.
+1 Couldn't agree more.

JP was a good player for us, and could have had a big role on next years team. I liked watching him a lot and he was versatile and provided excitement with his dunks and passes (and turnovers...).

However I believe the OP's lineup is the best lineup for the team (even with JP included), so I'm thinking it will help in the end. Would have been nice to have JP off the bench - but I'm not sure how much that would have worked ego-wise anyways.

The last point is the most intriguing... will Ingram, or another big recruit, see this as an opportunity for a big role on a championship contender? We can only hope...

Originally posted by babe7671:
Tokoto made an interesting comment when announcing his decision tonight that Roy wasn't pushing him to be all he could be at UNC. Thinks he'd be pushed further in the NBA. In the middle of the season Marcus alluded to a fellow junior not buying into Roy's system. All signs lead to Tokoto having issues in the lockerroom. Wish him the best, but if there were problems in the locker room hopefully they will be cleared up next season!

This post was edited on 4/8 9:53 PM by babe7671

This post was edited on 4/8 9:54 PM by babe7671
That is an interesting possibility. If it is true, then the team definitely should be better next year without Tokoto.

Tokoto played with utter inconsistency. He lacked fundamentals more than any UNC player in the regular rotation.

Ingram has a Marvin Williams-esque situation waiting for him if he wants it

Originally posted by SubZer0:
He will do better than Okafor.
I guy that is gonna spend the next 10 years in Turkey is gonna do better than the consensus 1st or 2nd pick in the draft?

As I put on my Carolina Blue Glasses (the really really thick ones), I could see this situation playing out beneficially to UNC in two ways:

-JP announces interest in the draft....Brandon Ingram chooses UNC... JP goes into the draft and either to NBA or Europe

-JP announces interest in the draft....Brandon Ingram chooses somewhere else... JP doesn't sign an agent and comes back (hopefully under the assumption that his role may be relegated to 6th man).

ADVERTISEMENT