ADVERTISEMENT

Ken Burns latest PBS.

I assume you are referring to the Holocaust series.

I haven't seen any of the actual series, but I did watch this interview with Burns and another collaborator...

Just finished all three parts. Ken Burns always does a great job. I'm surprised he kept it to just three episodes.

There are a lot of eerie things about that whole experience. I remember seeing the mini-series "Holocaust" on TV as a kid. I was allowed to watch SOME of it, I should say. It was disturbing, and it was really not that graphic.

But, the scary thing, to me, is that the people of Germany in the 1930s/40s, were not much different from Americans, or any other civilized nation. It could happen again at any time.

not much different from Americans, or any other civilized nation. It could happen again at any time.
Funny you should say this and I wish more would realize the protections our constitution provides if we can refrain from constantly eroding it via the slippery slope. All the do gooders and the we must do something supporters seem to always tell me that it could never happen here.

Funny you should say this and I wish more would realize the protections our constitution provides if we can refrain from constantly eroding it via the slippery slope. All the do gooders and the we must do something supporters seem to always tell me that it could never happen here.
Eroding it via the slippery slope? What's the slippery slope, exactly?

Who are the do-gooders and we-must-do-something supporters?

Demagogues exploit people's fears all the time. The constitution is just a piece of paper that people interpret in whatever way pleases them.

Just finished all three parts. Ken Burns always does a great job. I'm surprised he kept it to just three episodes.

There are a lot of eerie things about that whole experience. I remember seeing the mini-series "Holocaust" on TV as a kid. I was allowed to watch SOME of it, I should say. It was disturbing, and it was really not that graphic.

But, the scary thing, to me, is that the people of Germany in the 1930s/40s, were not much different from Americans, or any other civilized nation. It could happen again at any time.
Genocide of a group of people could happen again? Are you saying it could happen here or some other country?

but first, we would have to be driven into some desperate circumstance where the only way to go was up, as happened in Germany following the first Big One....oh wait, now I see what you mean. We're heading for such a circumstance now.

But then we'd have to find ourselves subject to some spell-binding orator with a compelling message of hope and nationalistic pride, exhorting us to seek and return to a former glory and rightful place in the world. Whew! Looks like we're safe...for now, anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: gunslingerdick
Genocide of a group of people could happen again? Are you saying it could happen here or some other country?
Well it would be a process starting with Demonizing and then imprisoning a group of people. I’d wager there’s at least three regular posters in here and prob around half of maga nation as well as significant portions of other groups (Muslims, Mormons etc) that would have no problem with making homosexuality and transgenderism illegal.

Well it would be a process starting with Demonizing and then imprisoning a group of people. I’d wager there’s at least three regular posters in here and prob around half of maga nation as well as significant portions of other groups (Muslims, Mormons etc) that would have no problem with making homosexuality and transgenderism illegal.
Making something illegal in the US, isn't quite the same as marching people to their death after putting them in concentration camps for years.

ETA: The group of people you're talking about isn't even big enough to elect their leader, much less outlaw that.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Making something illegal in the US, isn't quite the same as marching people to their death after putting them in concentration camps for years.

ETA: The group of people you're talking about isn't even big enough to elect their leader, much less outlaw that.
It doesn't have to be identical the Nazi model, to the letter, in order to happen. It doesn't have to result in 6 million deaths, in the same circumstances, etc..

As long as the human race insists on dividing itself based on "race", or whatever distinctions it can conjur up in order for one group to consider another group as being inferior, then anything is possible.

No... you're right. It's not quite the same. That's why it was a gradual process over at least 10-12 years. But, it started that way and then it progressed. I think that's one of the purposes it served. It might ask people to be a little more observant about their behaviors and perspectives BEFORE it gets out of hand. But, it's definitely easier to say "oh, that could never happen again." They certainly never thought it could happen the first time, but it did.

Have you watched the series?

It doesn't have to be identical the Nazi model, to the letter, in order to happen. It doesn't have to result in 6 million deaths, in the same circumstances, etc..
If it's not the same. which you said could happen, what exactly is it? There really isn't anything comparable to genocide. I think we've had this ridiculous conversation on this board before and @dadika13 basically destroyed the argument that it could happen here. It's the only time his history degree was useful.

Reactions: dadika13
If it's not the same. which you said could happen, what exactly is it? There really isn't anything comparable to genocide. I think we've had this ridiculous conversation on this board before and @dadika13 basically destroyed the argument that it could happen here. It's the only time his history degree was useful.
Okay... it won't ever happen again. Glad we settled that.

Heard he downplays FDR's, the democrat's and the US government's role in it. We knew what Hitler had in mind; what he was doing and would do in this area, and FDR and others still refused to let the Jews escape.

So yes, the USA participated in or was complicit in the Holocaust in it's own way.

" Well it would be a process starting with Demonizing and then imprisoning a group of people."

Like Jan 6ers? Calling them insurrectionists.

Or parents complaining about grooming in schools? Calling them domestic terrorists and spying on them.

Or those creating vaccine hestitancy?

Or just all MAGA people in general?

You guys are well on your way into going for another Holocaust. I think your efforts will backfire, at least eventually.

" Well it would be a process starting with Demonizing and then imprisoning a group of people."

Or parents complaining about grooming in schools? Calling them domestic terrorists and spying on them.

You guys are well on your way into going for another Holocaust. I think your efforts will backfire, at least eventually.
Jews will not replace us!

names or it couln't happen.

Says the guy single handedly trying to initiate a holocaust

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT