ADVERTISEMENT

Kennedy's weight loss continues

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
Meeks posted this picture on Instagram yesterday. The article is a competitor's site so I'm not linking it.

6_3692017.png

I would imagine that the weight loss will slow from this point on as he's adding muscle to his frame. It's an amazing story though! Started around 320lb, down to 260 is impressive and a testament to his dedication! Hoping to see more vertical game from him this season given the loss of even more baggage!

I would imagine that the weight loss will slow from this point on as he's adding muscle to his frame. It's an amazing story though! Started around 320lb, down to 260 is impressive and a testament to his dedication! Hoping to see more vertical game from him this season given the loss of even more baggage!

Well that's the key. Despite the weight loss last year, it didn't look that he improved his explosiveness much, if any at all. I hope now that he's kind of plateaued, he can concentrate on getting better lift. He desperately needs it to be more effective. He has great timing so defensively, he's ok. But he gets his shot blocked far to often underneath because of his lack of verticality (not a real word but whatever).

Well that's the key. Despite the weight loss last year, it didn't look that he improved his explosiveness much, if any at all. I hope now that he's kind of plateaued, he can concentrate on getting better lift. He desperately needs it to be more effective. He has great timing so defensively, he's ok. But he gets his shot blocked far to often underneath because of his lack of verticality (not a real word but whatever).

What bugs me slinger is that there are specialized systems available, that many colleges use as well as NBA players that do wonders in increasing vertical. I linked to just such a system last year when we were discussing Meeks lack of verticle.

These type systems can easily add 2-3" verticle in a summer, Meeks with 2-3" more verticle could be a beast. But I get the sense that our trainers rely more on out dated plyometrics that are not nearly as successful and are a bit yesterdays methods, we are in to today now.

Very impressive progress by Kennedy . . kudos, big man. Keep up the great effort . . !

Great effort - really pulling for Kennedy to reap the rewards for all his hard work. (well, if he does, the Heels will benefit a little too!)

What bugs me slinger is that there are specialized systems available, that many colleges use as well as NBA players that do wonders in increasing vertical. I linked to just such a system last year when we were discussing Meeks lack of verticle.

These type systems can easily add 2-3" verticle in a summer, Meeks with 2-3" more verticle could be a beast. But I get the sense that our trainers rely more on out dated plyometrics that are not nearly as successful and are a bit yesterdays methods, we are in to today now.

Why do you sense this about the trainers?

Why do you sense this about the trainers?

Because I do not see a lot of improvement in verticle from our players from year to year. Meeks is one example but Deon struggled with this as well. They do become more fit, they do increase stamina, thin guys add the bulk, but verticles for the most part remain similar to what kids come in with.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Another reason why it is critical to get a Giles or Bam. Nothing against Meeks, but it would be so nice to get a frontcourt player that is not weight project right out of the gate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT