ADVERTISEMENT

Landscaping bro

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
since moving, i’ve started to take more interest in mowing, weeding, and just all around landscaping...grass is empire zoysia and i’m always looking for diy tips to keep the lawn looking tight...i refuse to hire someone or a company to “green” or keep my lawn up...i have even created my own weed killer that has no chemicals in it.

recently started to mow high as to not scalp only year old grass...seems to be making it thicker, but one area(front) isn’t as green as the back.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
Zoysia is awesome, (my neighbor has it) wish I did.

What's your weed killer concoction?

Reactions: gteeitup
I leave the grass 3" high at minimum. Helps keep it from drying out as quickly. Milogranite (sp?) works well to make it green.

Biggest tip I can give is never loan your mower to someone who has a lot of weeds. Unless you wash it off on their property, those weeds will be appearing on your lawn eventually...

i'm a yard/turfgrass nut and also refuse to pay anyone to take care of my stuff. i'm in the process of restoring a junked John Deere 220A reel mower, i'm building a chipping green for me and my son on our property and hoping it will develop into a decent putting green by next spring.

if i had the money i would convert my entire yard (3 acres) into zoysia, that's my fav ... but that aint happening. i did try the same homemade weed recipe a few years back, got frustrated by how quickly they returned and went back to good old GlyStar Plus.

Came home last night to a copperhead in the back yard. Got my crossbow out to shoot it, but lost it in a bush. The dogs went out this morning and didn't find it anywhere, so hopefully it's moved far away.

On the actual subject of doing landscaping, for those of you who have push mowers, anyone switched over to battery from gas?

Came home last night to a copperhead in the back yard. Got my crossbow out to shoot it, but lost it in a bush. The dogs went out this morning and didn't find it anywhere, so hopefully it's moved far away.

On the actual subject of doing landscaping, for those of you who have push mowers, anyone switched over to battery from gas?
Not battery, but when i bought a house 8 yrs ago i tried corded hoping for more quiet, less fumes, less pollution, but my grass is so weedy (quack grass) I needed something with more umph. It lasted a few seasons before i gave up and got a really basic gas mower that cut my time-spent in half.

Perhaps tech / batteries are better and more powerful now?

whoa to the first part...f that

bought the greenworks mower and weeder/edger last year when we moved...i have been pleased with both...they typically include a bag attachment and also have adjustable cut height...make sure you buy at least two batteries so one can charge while you do the work.

i edge first, then mow...i’ve only been stuck once and had to wait an hour to finish the job...my yard isn’t difficult with zoysia, takes about 1.5 hours total.

Bro, I was just like you when I moved out into my new house. I refused to hire gardeners or any cleaning services just because I wanted to do the job myself. Now that I've been living in this house for nearly seven years, I'm so tired of doing it all myself. And that's exactly why I hire the team from http://www.jscustomlandscaping.com to help me out with my garden. They do everything on time, and I'm always happy with the outcomes. So, I highly recommend their services, and if you're gonna work with them, trust me, you're on your way to garden greatness!

Last edited:
started to double cut and stripe this week…takes a bit longer, but the results are worth it.

until recently, had no idea how double cutting and not bagging were crucial to the lawn being healthy.

Reactions: prlyles
Even though we're in a subdivision, we have a forest buffer between us and our nearest neighbors. The yard isn't huge--I push mow-- but even if it were, I'd hesitate to let anyone else mow it with their own equipment. My theory is that they will (involuntarily) bring weeds from previous lawns they mowed into my grass via what's on the bottom of their mower. Our tree buffer has kept the weeds in the neighbors' yards from spreading into ours so I try to keep it as much of a closed environment as I can.

Now the weeds that are imported through plants my wife buys at Lowes are a totally different story. Even worse are the plants "friends" give her from their own yard...

Even though we're in a subdivision, we have a forest buffer between us and our nearest neighbors. The yard isn't huge--I push mow-- but even if it were, I'd hesitate to let anyone else mow it with their own equipment. My theory is that they will (involuntarily) bring weeds from previous lawns they mowed into my grass via what's on the bottom of their mower. Our tree buffer has kept the weeds in the neighbors' yards from spreading into ours so I try to keep it as much of a closed environment as I can.

Now the weeds that are imported through plants my wife buys at Lowes are a totally different story. Even worse are the plants "friends" give her from their own yard...
In my area, it's not just the weeds you have to worry about. My mom's yard and others around her has been invaded by zyosia grass from one particular neighbor because the lawn service she has mows about five different lawns all at one time. Her yard now has splotches all over it from the time that the first frost occurs until the time that the zyosia finally wakes back up compared to the other varieties.

• Wow
I've had zoysia for almost 20 years and if you want to best mow possible find a used reel mower from a golf course and you won't regret it. I bought a Toro Greensmaster from a course in Atlanta and it ran 10 years, then got another one from Thornblade and it's still going strong.

Two years ago I killed my lawn to start over. Raked it out, got irrigation fine tuned, sent soil sample off and did all the chemical shit. Spread seed/mulch mixture and kept everything watered. Bout half the yard looks good. Weeds taking back over the rest. The best grass is growing in the cracks in the asphalt in the road out front.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT