ADVERTISEMENT

Let's figure out random facts that connect us OOTBers together

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
I don't know how we should go about doing this, so I'm open to suggestions. I'll start with an example of what I mean.

I just became aware (thanks to the 'Speeding Tickets' thread) that @gteeitup spent a couple semesters at UGA. That makes three OOTB regulars -- gtee, @UNC71-00 , and myself -- who all had brief stints as students at UGA before moving on and graduating from a different university. That's pretty wild.

There's gotta be some other facts and circumstances out there that connects us to each other that we don't even know of. So....who's got something?

Reactions: gteeitup
I watched a football game at an Arlington, Va sports bar and drank a few w/ Keysersosay.

Drank a few beers and met some of Old_Skool's family about 4 years back.

I watched a football game at an Arlington, Va sports bar and drank a few w/ Keysersosay.

Drank a few beers and met some of Old_Skool's family about 4 years back.
Nice! But I'm looking more for 'happenstance' connections. I mean, I've met @Raising Heel , @UNC71-00 , @grillheel , and @heelz2345 before, but I think it would be cool to find 'random' connections like the UGA example I listed above.

I sat in student section for at least two dozen football games in Athens when I first moved to Atlanta. Does that count? Also R.E.M. was one of my investment clients way back and spent the night in Athens a few times. good times.

So, if the UGA example is more what you're looking for, would going to UNC count, or is that not really random enough since we're all UNC fans, so it stands to reason a handful of us went there?

I have met a couple of posters, but that's not something that counts either, I guess.

I'm not sure I have any real connections, other than I can just say a bunch of random stuff about myself and see if it applies to anyone else, haha.

April 7th is a wedding anniversary date that I have in common with TarHeelByBirth . .

So, if the UGA example is more what you're looking for, would going to UNC count, or is that not really random enough since we're all UNC fans, so it stands to reason a handful of us went there?

I have met a couple of posters, but that's not something that counts either, I guess.

I'm not sure I have any real connections, other than I can just say a bunch of random stuff about myself and see if it applies to anyone else, haha.
These are valid points. Hmm, I'm not sure how we'd do it without just throwing out random things like you said. UNC can count. I'm sure that binds most of us together.

April 7th is a wedding anniversary date that I have in common with TarHeelByBirth . .
Now this is what I'm talking about! That's pretty cool and quite the coincidence.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

09d16b43eaef4c39f17d73096632d95a55a3ba8e5a8081bd1283565bcb98a4bd.jpg

there's a story about taz and formercat that's pretty funny...

iirc, it was a political thread that facilitated a meeting between them and they became close, or at least closer than before the threads...these were nasty political threads, like would never be allowed now...i would jump in for a couple of rounds, but then duck out w/o much damage.

does that count???

there's a story about taz and formercat that's pretty funny...

iirc, it was a political thread that facilitated a meeting between them and they became close, or at least closer than before the threads...these were nasty political threads, like would never be allowed now...i would jump in for a couple of rounds, but then duck out w/o much damage.

does that count???

Remember that like it was yesterday.

They both got together for lunch and a few brewskis and talked football . . . after that lunch encounter there were no more at your throat political threads. Which basically Formercat won 98% of anyways . .

It does go to demonstrate that we all have a common bond/thread somewhere, and if we took the time to find it, maybe there would be less friction.

Except for Nukie that is . . . he has nothing in common with anybody but NCState fans.

Jus' sayin' . .

Reactions: gteeitup
sorry if this seems like hijacking, but that thread i mentioned gives me an idea...what about a thread where we can list our favorite threads?

is it possible to post that political thread that led to beers and bread breaking?...one of my all-time favs was wit creating avatars? or pics of who he thought posters would appear to be...that was also five or six years ago...then last year someone did the same thing and it killed!...those are my favorite.

- Born in northern California
- Lived for significant amounts of time outside of NC:
  • Bellevue/Omaha, NE
  • Ashland, KY (not far from GSD's grandparents)
  • Williamstown, MA (hometown of one of our Wolpfack visitors...user name escapes me right now)
  • Louisville, KY
  • Newport/Lincoln City, OR
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Knoxville, TN
There's a starter. This is hard, though, without just throwing out random stuff.

~ Born in Jacksonville, NC ( Camp LeJeuene) . . . January 1, 1954

I've lived in :

~ Monterey, California

~ Princeton, NJ

~ Pensacola, FLA

~ Havelock, NC . . (Cherry Point MCAS) 3 different times as my father was a Marine Corps fighter pilot.

~ Linwood, NJ . . 12 miles outside Atlantic City, NJ.

~ Alexandria, VA.

~ Reston, VA.

~ Born in Jacksonville, NC ( Camp LeJeuene) . . . January 1, 1954

I've lived in :

~ Monterey, California

~ Princeton, NJ

~ Pensacola, FLA

~ Havelock, NC . . (Cherry Point MCAS) 3 different times as my father was a Marine Corps fighter pilot.

~ Linwood, NJ . . 12 miles outside Atlantic City, NJ.

~ Alexandria, VA.

~ Reston, VA.

I thought you said one time that you had only travelled to 3 states?

I spent 7 years at MCAS Cherry Point working on EA-6B's and A-6E aircraft. Just left that crap hole called dook north first of May and happily back on NC soil.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Not sure if this fits with the theme, but I went to Davidson College basketball camp in the late 70s/early 80s. Learned I'd never be as good as Steph Curry.

My connections are all second-hand via my parents.

Let's see, my mom and dad both went to the same college as GSD -- UNC-Greensboro. Relax dick, they were there before your time. My dad was born in the same county as UNC71's dad? But not in the same year, obviously. I mean, that's at least somewhat impressive because it's a smaller N.C. county, it's not like they were both born in Mecklenburg Co., or something.

My mom was born and raised in Gastonia and my parents were married in Gaston County, and I know @HookUNC75 has lived in Gaston County for a long time and -- I think -- was born there too? And of course, @coolwaterunc lives in Gastonia now, so the circle is complete lol.

As for me.....nothing of note lol. Was born in Tampa, FL., grew up in Cobb County, Ga., transferred out of UGA and into Carolina. That's about it. Oh, in high school, I watched T.J. Yates play....basketball. He was pretty good. He went to a rival high school.

Jordan was a year ahead of me at Laney when I was at Hoggard and I got to see him play.

Also played little league baseball against him as a little kid. Didn't realize that until I saw a documentary with picture of his little league team.

Lets see what I can think of......

@TarHeelNation11 has already mentioned his parents Gaston County connection and @coolwaterunc also lives here although he's looking to make a dash for Mecklenburg County.

@Raising Heel and I both have houses at lakes on the Catawba River and we enjoy paddling kayaks, fishing and camping.

@mtpeke and I are both CPAs by profession and if we expand that to the financial field @Louigi and @jcolucci (I think) being financial advisers puts us all in the same industry for work.

A few years back I attended a conference at the Gaylord National Harbor Hotel in the DC area and my wife was looking for things to do while I was in meetings. @BillyL gave me some recommendations for shopping in Alexandria that my wife thoroughly enjoyed and it cost me some folding money.

I'm an Atlanta Braves fan like others on here. Former Braves pitcher Kevin Millwood is from my hometown of Bessemer City, NC and I was a groomsman in his parents' wedding.

^^ Kevin Millwood, man, that guy appeared and then was gone it seemed like. He had those few good seasons with the Braves but then was traded or let go?

Millwood was with Atlanta for five years and was traded to the Phillies in 2003 for catcher Johnny Estrada in an economic move to cut payroll. He went on to pitch a no-hitter for the Phils that year against the Giants.

Let's see...I grew up in Danville, VA and went to school with OOTB's pastor, #1UNC. After that, went down to Boone and got my CIS degree at App State. Got a job doing reporting for a mortgage company in Charlotte, and that pretty much sums up my life in three sentences.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
My connections are all second-hand via my parents.

Let's see, my mom and dad both went to the same college as GSD -- UNC-Greensboro.

I attended UNCG from 89-92...I was older than most everyone I graduated with because I didnt start UNCG until I was 24. I first attended Wingate College from 83-85. After spring of 85, I had an agreement with the academic dean that if I didn't try to return, he wouldn't tell me no. I spent too much time in Charlotte and not enough at Wingate.

I stayed out of college for a year, worked 3rd shift at a convenience store making $2.80 an hour. After about 8 months of that (and getting robbed at gun point), I knew I needed to go back to college.

Started Sandhills Community College in fall of 86...with all of 12 credit hours from Wingate (yeah, 12). I met most of the best friends I have now while at SCC. Graduated from there in 89. Thats when I went to UNCG.

I have worked over 20 jobs in my life...from 2 days to 10 years (what I do now...teach). I have worked at Pinehurst Resort, Kmart, Dollar General, Eckerd Drugs (now called Rite-aid), sold insurance for Farm Bureau, managed a video store, worked for Lowes. I have worked at a camp for children with Autism, worked for RPS in Winston Salem, worked as a night desk clerk at Motel 6 ( I always turned the light off), worked as a cook at Ryans Steakhouse in Greensboro, worked at Sears Warehouse in Greensboro, cooked at JP Looneys in Greensboro,

I worked for the USDA during the summer, looking for "witchweed" (a real pest but not of the insect variety. Its grows roots extensively and they choke the roots of corn and sorghum). That was a HOT job. We had to walk corn fields and sorghum fields in the dead of summer. We wore long sleeved shirts so the corn husks wouldn't cut our arms. I had an awesome time working that job but I couldn't do it now. Too much walking and I couldn't stand the heat.

I have been teaching for 10 years. I teach Special Education and I love my job but not the politics that run it. I love my students but their parents get on my friggin nerves. I expect a child to act like a child cause that's what they are. I may not like it but I understand. What I don't like is when a parent acts like an idiot in front of their child. I love to hear a parent say "that teacher don't like my son/daughter. Thats why my child failed because that teacher don't like my child". Mmmm...ok. So, your child has failed every class they have taken this year and each teacher didn't like your child? really? Its the teachers fault that your child is 18 years old in the 9th grade. I cant handle dumb-ass grownups.

I grew up in Raeford, NC and graduated from Hoke High in 1983.

Thats all I got now.

Let's see...I grew up in Danville, VA and went to school with OOTB's pastor, #1UNC. After that, went down to Boone and got my CIS degree at App State. Got a job doing reporting for a mortgage company in Charlotte, and that pretty much sums up my life in three sentences.

How old are you Cool? I have some family in Danville.

I attended UNCG from 89-92...I was older than most everyone I graduated with because I didnt start UNCG until I was 24. I first attended Wingate College from 83-85. After spring of 85, I had an agreement with the academic dean that if I didn't try to return, he wouldn't tell me no. I spent too much time in Charlotte and not enough at Wingate.

I stayed out of college for a year, worked 3rd shift at a convenience store making $2.80 an hour. After about 8 months of that (and getting robbed at gun point), I knew I needed to go back to college.

Started Sandhills Community College in fall of 86...with all of 12 credit hours from Wingate (yeah, 12). I met most of the best friends I have now while at SCC. Graduated from there in 89. Thats when I went to UNCG.

I have worked over 20 jobs in my life...from 2 days to 10 years (what I do now...teach). I have worked at Pinehurst Resort, Kmart, Dollar General, Eckerd Drugs (now called Rite-aid), sold insurance for Farm Bureau, managed a video store, worked for Lowes. I have worked at a camp for children with Autism, worked for RPS in Winston Salem, worked as a night desk clerk at Motel 6 ( I always turned the light off), worked as a cook at Ryans Steakhouse in Greensboro, worked at Sears Warehouse in Greensboro, cooked at JP Looneys in Greensboro,

I worked for the USDA during the summer, looking for "witchweed" (a real pest but not of the insect variety. Its grows roots extensively and they choke the roots of corn and sorghum). That was a HOT job. We had to walk corn fields and sorghum fields in the dead of summer. We wore long sleeved shirts so the corn husks wouldn't cut our arms. I had an awesome time working that job but I couldn't do it now. Too much walking and I couldn't stand the heat.

I have been teaching for 10 years. I teach Special Education and I love my job but not the politics that run it. I love my students but their parents get on my friggin nerves. I expect a child to act like a child cause that's what they are. I may not like it but I understand. What I don't like is when a parent acts like an idiot in front of their child. I love to hear a parent say "that teacher don't like my son/daughter. Thats why my child failed because that teacher don't like my child". Mmmm...ok. So, your child has failed every class they have taken this year and each teacher didn't like your child? really? Its the teachers fault that your child is 18 years old in the 9th grade. I cant handle dumb-ass grownups.

I grew up in Raeford, NC and graduated from Hoke High in 1983.

Thats all I got now.

OK, the witchweed story is funny to me. My dad had a job in the late 60s doing the same thing in Richmond county with his best friend. He said they would find a stash of the stuff, then go back to it every so often when they had to prove they were actually working. The rest of the time they would ride around in the truck and go hang out at friends houses who didn't live in Hamlet or Rockingham proper.

Dad still says it was the best job he ever had. Back then it was a state job, not the USDA.

@gunslingerdick and I have spent a lot of time in the mountains of 3 counties, particularly on one creek which likes to call itself a river- the Calf Pasture in Augusta county, VA. The closest stoplight to this place is well over 30 miles away. GSD also knows a bunch of my good friends from VMI.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
@Raising Heel and I both have houses at lakes on the Catawba River and we enjoy paddling kayaks, fishing and camping.
I'm not on the river, but close. And I don't like fishing. ;)

@mtpeke and I are both CPAs by profession and if we expand that to the financial field @Louigi and @jcolucci (I think) being financial advisers puts us all in the same industry for work.
I have a Masters' degree in accounting but I'm not a CPA. I've worked in public accounting (mostly healthcare) and healthcare finance. My current job is as a healthcare analyst.

Reactions: BillyL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT