ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like dook for Ingram

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
per this tweet by Daniels no other way to read it .......he would not meet a second time in less than a week with someone he is not interested in . Too bad but this is another in the increasingly long list of costs associated with the "scandal"

I have been saying for months he was gonna be a doochie, the Winslow departure sealed it IMO

This post was edited on 4/19 7:41 PM by keysersosay#1

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels

Calipari did the same thing with Wiggins . . multiple visits and it didn't help him any. SnowRat is a high pressure salesman and his pitch on Friday morning didn't work. He wants another shot at Ingram to see what may stick to the wall.
If, Brandon was indeed headed to dOOk . . why the need for a second visit . . ?

dOOk has no more to offer than UNC does right now . . Tokoto leaving leveled the playing-time field with dOOk.

I may be the only one on this board that thinks we get Brandon Ingram . .

This post was edited on 4/19 8:18 PM by BillyL

Originally posted by bleeduncblue:
Yep, the 'black cloud' over CH kills another one. Cripes!
Black Cloud or is that a smoke-screen?

BI must have known since November he wouldn't start for the Heels next season - or at least he would have to fight for a start.

With or without JP on board it's a crowded roster and you can't convince me Ingram could play #2, his college spot is #3 or even stretch 4. Justin started the entire season at #3 and Brice and Isaiah have the PF spot covered.

All that said, It'd be great both for Ingram and the Heels if he said yes to Roy and accepted being the first or second guy off the bench - much like Marvin in '05. Then, if he impresses enough he could jump to the league with everyone's blessing, or stay and work on his body more - I'm sure Jonas would oblige.

The choice is up to him - play on a crowded roster with a terrific shot at a Natty or go to a rebuilding dook with an uncertain outlook.

In all honesty it could be a negative for Duke for another visit this quick or yes it could be good for them. Maybe something was said in 1st meeting or since that has worried the Duke staff enough call a 2nd meeting. Or Ingram could have requested the meeting because he's very close to pulling the trigger but has a few more questions.

Any info on who requested the 2nd in-home?

Ingram makes UNC a possible pre-season 1-2

Originally posted by BillyL:

I'm hoping when he suits-up in dook blue that you'll accept it. Most here have known it for a week or two. But, once that mass exodus from Durham became fact, it's no longer a mystery. I was betting on him going to dook months ago.

Originally posted by strummingram:

I'm hoping when he suits-up in dook blue that you'll accept it. Most here have known it for a week or two. But, once that mass exodus from Durham became fact, it's no longer a mystery. I was betting on him going to dook months ago.

I would have no problem accepting it. Whereas, it seems to me that you would be rejoicing in it.
laugh.r191677.gif

K is also apparently meeting with a PG on Monday (Thornton maybe?) so it could be Ingram doesn't like the team Duke will have next year and K wanted another meeting after talking to a PG that may help things. It could be K didn't like the vibe and asked for another meeting and Ingram just said yes. It could be Ingram really wants to go to Duke as well. Trying to figure out what these guys are doing will drive you crazy.

If he really wanted to go to Duke then why all of this?

Maybe this will work to our favor. Maybe the more time he spends with
Crysexski will leave no doubt what a douchebad he and the dookie
Assistants are!

I've heard that Ingram requested the 2nd meeting. Any chance he wants to tell K face to face that he's going to UNC & will tell Roy on Wednesday?

Re: Looks like UNC for Ingram

Originally posted by LandofOzDevil:

Ingram to announce April 27. Per Chris fisher who quoted his dad.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/19 10:29 PM by BillyL

Originally posted by Ozheelfan:
Originally posted by bleeduncblue:
Yep, the 'black cloud' over CH kills another one. Cripes!
Black Cloud or is that a smoke-screen?

BI must have known since November he wouldn't start for the Heels next season - or at least he would have to fight for a start.

With or without JP on board it's a crowded roster and you can't convince me Ingram could play #2, his college spot is #3 or even stretch 4. Justin started the entire season at #3 and Brice and Isaiah have the PF spot covered.

All that said, It'd be great both for Ingram and the Heels if he said yes to Roy and accepted being the first or second guy off the bench - much like Marvin in '05. Then, if he impresses enough he could jump to the league with everyone's blessing, or stay and work on his body more - I'm sure Jonas would oblige.

The choice is up to him - play on a crowded roster with a terrific shot at a Natty or go to a rebuilding dook with an uncertain outlook.
Absolutely 100% spot on, Oz... on all counts.

Originally posted by strummingram:

I would have no problem accepting it. Whereas, it seems to me that you would be rejoicing in it.
laugh.r191677.gif
Um... no. I'll be hoping that Ingram fails miserably and falls well-short of these expectations.

Originally posted by uncfan in ky:
I've heard that Ingram requested the 2nd meeting. Any chance he wants to tell K face to face that he's going to UNC & will tell Roy on Wednesday?
I sure hope so. But K meets with pg on monday then Ingram again on tuesday could that be all Ingram is waiting on. Who knows

I think whats hurt us alot more than people realize is the lack of NBA superstars that UNC has produced in the last 10-15 years. At the end of the day that has a huge impact on what kids are looking for. In the late 90s and early 2000s it was easy for UNC to point to MJ, Carter, Jamison, Sheed, Stackhouse who were all elite NBA players in their primes (other than Jordan) and recruits could relate with them. All UNC really has to offer in the NBA right now is Lawson who is a B-list superstar and Barnes/Danny Green who are good players on great teams. Compare that to Dook who has Kyrie and UK who has Wall and Anthony Davis. Just something to think about

^ Sorry, but...

Well, I could yell Kroc... However, UNC had four players go in the lottery in 2005. Also, had four more go in the Top 20 in 2009 (three lottery picks, IIRC). Additionally, Reggie Bullock was also a first round pick. In 2012, Barnes, Zeller, Henson and Kendall ALL went EARLY...! Now, most all of these young men have made a bunch (yes I said BUNCH) of money! Also, many of them are still in the Nba. The argument above just plain misses the real point on many basketball fronts (imo)...

PS- Kyrie played around 7-8 TOTAL games at Duke, I do believe! His talent was there BEFORE he arrived in Durham. Additionally, how MANY LOTTERY PICKS has Duke Produced since 2005? Kay is infamous in many circles, for getting great High School players to play at Dook. Many of those same players only marginal make it in the Nba. Many others have indeed transferred after arriving in Durham...
This post was edited on 4/19 11:44 PM by ChapelHeeled

I mean, the kid grew up a Duke fan. I know it sucks for a number reasons (if he does go to Duke) but it is a case of us somewhat stealing a guy if he comes here IMO. Regardless, I hope we get him but if we don't get anyone else I'm ok. Our team is going to be fantastic next year.

You're missing my point dude. Yes weve put alot of players in the league, but hardly any have actually panned out. in the last 10 years only Lawson has become an elite player. Barnes and Green are good players on great teams. Guys like Hansbrough, Ellington, Henson are average and Bullock, Hairston etc have a hard time even seeing the court

Now compare that to 15 years ago when we could say the GOAT and 5 superstars currently playing are UNC products

^ Not missing YOUR point at all... I simply disagree with YOUR criteria. Making a living is always the first consideration when making it to the Nba. All of the UNC early picks made a BUNCH OF MONEY! Again, "K" is infamous, in many circles, for not getting the MOST out of the players that he signs (concerning Nba). I do hope that you do UNDERSTAND my point concerning your dismissive point (and UNC)...

Roy gets to go last...and Roy is not coming over to hear ....NO

K knew about announcement and asked for a last visit...Roy comes in after K's second visit.

Ingram is Heel on 27th.

This post was edited on 4/20 12:38 AM by Steat

Originally posted by thaUNCshow:
You're missing my point dude. Yes weve put alot of players in the league, but hardly any have actually panned out. in the last 10 years only Lawson has become an elite player. Barnes and Green are good players on great teams. Guys like Hansbrough, Ellington, Henson are average and Bullock, Hairston etc have a hard time even seeing the court
The discussion about how graduates fare in the pros is an interesting one, especially in the last 20 or so years (the time frame you're referencing)

I'm of the opinion that college has little or no effect on top level talent transitioning to the NBA - do you think Barnes and the Texas program advanced Durant? Not likely! Did KG, Kobe Dwight or Lebron suffer because they didn't develop at a powerhouse college? No way!

Notice, I'm talking about the uber elite, the .5% of players who end up as NBA allstars and in the running for MVP votes. So why aren't these Uber-elite going to UNC and then bringing the school accolades as an NBA factory? Numerous reasons and, not wanting to bore everyone by going into detail here are some I can think of:

Early entry - for about 10 or so years the best (and not so best) didn't even go to college Greater TV exposure - yes, even MVC games get coverage nowadays so it's OK for kids to go to smaller schools. OAD rule - kids want guaranteed PT and that rarely happens at UNCEntry requirement - another thread pointed out how Durant wanted to be a HeelDubious recruiting - Roy has kept away from some players who then became great pro's (they might have been great pro's while posing as student athletes)
All that said, ThaUNCshow has a good point. Without superstar alums, UNC isn't viewed with the same awe and desire by recruits. Try explaining the above five points to a 17yr old - he wouldn't care, he'd just say he wants to go to school where Anthony Davis went.

Where I don't agree with ThaUNCshow is how he says the Heels in the NBA "didn't pan out". It might be they wouldn't have been all-stars no matter what school they went to. On the flipside, they are earning nicely and have a job that involves playing and training hoops and dating cheerleaders.

UNC should not miss on a in state kid like Ingram or any top in state kid....Dean Smith wouldn't allow it...lol. No excuses...sell the kid on Carolina!!!

Honestly folks I think Ky has turned this kids head, I think today they may have got the lead. The game changers are Thorton to duke for next season, that would be a huge help for duke. Newman or Brown to Ky may cause kal to back off a bit and K steps in and cleans it up. Unless Jackson picks up a strong growth spurt in the next few days we finish 3rd.

If the kid is comitting in the next week, I think it is Ky at this point... but distance will be a factor, Thorton could change this back around but the comit date may be to soon for duke, I think Thorton would have to announce in the next couple days but K could be guranteeing him behind closed doors that Thorton is a done deal.

I do think we end up getting Kenny Williams and we may be better off with him in the end. Pure shooter (area of need) that easlily fits the 2 that backs up marcus for his last season before starting the following season. Allows Pinson to be the wing that he naturally is and Jackson starts at the wing.

Originally posted by scoutsupreme:
UNC should not miss on a in state kid like Ingram or any top in state kid....Dean Smith wouldn't allow it...lol. No excuses...sell the kid on Carolina!!!
...and the same can't be said about the NCAA's all time winningest coach for an in-state recruit? Come on. This will happen every year and we will win some and lose some. Dean lost plenty of in state guys, David Thompson the first that comes to mind.

Regardless of where he ends up going, I think we can all agree when I say "Thank god this recruitment will finally be over soon".

Originally posted by TraBuch:
Regardless of where he ends up going, I think we can all agree when I say "Thank god this recruitment will finally be over soon".
Agree with you there. This has been painful.

Originally posted by coryfly:
K is also apparently meeting with a PG on Monday (Thornton maybe?) so it could be Ingram doesn't like the team Duke will have next year and K wanted another meeting after talking to a PG that may help things. It could be K didn't like the vibe and asked for another meeting and Ingram just said yes. It could be Ingram really wants to go to Duke as well. Trying to figure out what these guys are doing will drive you crazy.
Thornton is 2016.

Originally posted by DSouthr:
Honestly folks I think Ky has turned this kids head, I think today they may have got the lead. The game changers are Thorton to duke for next season, that would be a huge help for duke. Newman or Brown to Ky may cause kal to back off a bit and K steps in and cleans it up. Unless Jackson picks up a strong growth spurt in the next few days we finish 3rd.

If the kid is comitting in the next week, I think it is Ky at this point... but distance will be a factor, Thorton could change this back around but the comit date may be to soon for duke, I think Thorton would have to announce in the next couple days but K could be guranteeing him behind closed doors that Thorton is a done deal.

I do think we end up getting Kenny Williams and we may be better off with him in the end. Pure shooter (area of need) that easlily fits the 2 that backs up marcus for his last season before starting the following season. Allows Pinson to be the wing that he naturally is and Jackson starts at the wing.
eek.r191677.gif

There is basically no one (recruiting gurus) that is calling Ingram to UK. Personally, I think there is a less than 1% chance Ingram leaves the state.

There are so many ways to read the "second visit". I won't bother trying to figure that out. I agree with Steat - Ingram to UNC on April 27.

I also think we get Williams.

Originally posted by 32TheEnigma:

Originally posted by coryfly:

Thornton is 2016.
K has asked him to reclassify to 2015, which is why Cory interjected his name in his post.

Word has it though, that Thornton wasn't very receptive to the reclassification request at first . .

Ingram has said that he wanted to wait to see who left early at his possible schools and he specifically mentioned Tyus Jones' name. Now that Jones is leaving and dOOk is frantically searching for a point guard of high caliber to replace Jones.
I believe that K knows without an elite PG that Ingram isn't coming to dOOk. It could be that K believes he can convince Thornton to reclassify when he meets with him today, so he requested a second meeting with Ingram to update him on that result.

Cory is spot on when he says that trying to get inside Brandon Ingram's head to figure out where he is going will drive you absolutely nuts.

Let me also say that while reading and interpreting the tea leaves the past few months, that there are many, many positives that point in our direction.

I discount UK, because i don't believe that Ingram will leave the state of NC to play. This one is either us or dOOk.

Ingram almost committed to us 6 months back, but, chose to wait to see what else develops with the NCAA. He took his visits to UK, KU and NCState and they all amped up their recruitment of Brandon.

Brandon attends a lot of UNC games through the season. More visits to us than any other school.

He delays even further his announcement to see who goes and who stays at he schools he is interested in. 7 players leave UK. dOOk wins the title and 3 freshmen and Quin Cook leave.
Only JP Tokoto leaves UNC, and he takes a starting position with him, opening up an immediate starting position for Brandon as Roy can now move Justin Jackson to the 2 spot if he wants to. Playing time is no longer an issue.

Paige
Jackson
Ingram
Johnson
Meeks

Believe me when I say that lineup has been discussed.

If, Brandon is truly a OAD, then the NCAA is not an obstacle for Brandon. Its likely no finality will be reached until mid to late 2016 and it could even go further into the calendar.

The family is very comfortable with Roy and his staff and there is an element of high trust between them. This is coming from Brandon's father, and if you listened to Rivals podcast with Mr. Ingram you could gauge exactly how comfortable the family is with Roy.

The family are UNC fans.

Could it be that after listening to dOOk, UK and KU's in home visits that whatever their pitch was it failed to resonate with Brandon and change his choice of school . . ?

Word gets out that Brandon has reached a decision and set the announcement date of 4/27(next Monday).

K asks for a second meeting after hearing the announcement date.

UNC's roster is all but set for next year. UK and dOOk's are still very much in limbo. Yet, Ingram now knows exactly where he wants to go to school next year and the only in-home left is with Roy and UNC. If, he wants UNC, then does it really matter what Roy closes with correct . . ?

UNC has the Kinston connection working for them . . . Coach Stackhouse is very instrumental here.

Brandon is comfortable with the UNC players.

I want Ingram very badly, so I choose to look at the positive tea leaves.

Originally posted by dadika13:

Originally posted by scoutsupreme:
...and the same can't be said about the NCAA's all time winningest coach for an in-state recruit? Come on. This will happen every year and we will win some and lose some. Dean lost plenty of in state guys, David Thompson the first that comes to mind.
Thompson was bought and paid for unfortunately. State got probation but then they got a Natty, so...
Dean didn't play dat. But once he was established he didn't miss on many NC big dogs he really wanted.

i dont think what im about to say is earth shattering but for what it's worth, a buddy of mine who i played college ball with is an assistant in the Kinston area who has quite a few players that play AAU with Ingram. according to him, it's a UNC or Duke battle at this point. The pros for Duke being that with the departures, Ingram knows that he can come in and K will give him the reigns to be the player he wants to be immediately. The cons for Duke are that they likely won't have enough fire power to be in the mix for a national title next year. They won't be a dog, but they won't be a world beater either. The pros for UNC are the family loves the program and have seen the success other Kinston kids have had that came through. Other pros include our system which suits Ingram's game very well and the fact that Ingram would likely push the Heels over the top as the favorite to cut down the nets. The negatives being the NCAA investigation, but frankly, Ingram likely won't be in school long enough for it to even matter. The other negative being Ingram's perception that Roy will keep him on a leash a bit more (this is my language not his) which could hinder his growth offensively.

My buddy thinks he will end up at UNC due to the local ties and the opportunity to be successful for a team that may win a national title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT