ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like dook for Ingram

Originally posted by GoNtheDistance:

i dont think what im about to say is earth shattering but for what it's worth, a buddy of mine who i played college ball with is an assistant in the Kinston area who has quite a few players that play AAU with Ingram. according to him, it's a UNC or Duke battle at this point. The pros for Duke being that with the departures, Ingram knows that he can come in and K will give him the reigns to be the player he wants to be immediately. The cons for Duke are that they likely won't have enough fire power to be in the mix for a national title next year. They won't be a dog, but they won't be a world beater either. The pros for UNC are the family loves the program and have seen the success other Kinston kids have had that came through. Other pros include our system which suits Ingram's game very well and the fact that Ingram would likely push the Heels over the top as the favorite to cut down the nets. The negatives being the NCAA investigation, but frankly, Ingram likely won't be in school long enough for it to even matter. The other negative being Ingram's perception that Roy will keep him on a leash a bit more (this is my language not his) which could hinder his growth offensively.

My buddy thinks he will end up at UNC due to the local ties and the opportunity to be successful for a team that may win a national title.
Hey, maybe not earth shattering, but makes absolute sense and sounds spot on.
I'm gonna avoid the "leash" term but it does pose what seems to be the Final Jeopardy question: Does he have the makeup to accept his best role on a potential championship team at UNC?... or be a day-1 starter with (for better or worse) a green light at dook?

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
Originally posted by gary-7:

But once he was established he didn't miss on many NC big dogs he really wanted.

Danny says HI!
C'mon Mikey, I said "many", not "any"
grin.r191677.gif

Seems Marcus Paige must be on a really long leash to me! Ty Lawson must have been adept at breaking his leash as well.May says hello! Barnes' leash had a built in green light. Brice Johnson thanks you for noticing! This stupid leash talk started with another coach who said that UNC's coaching staff was the only thing to hold Jordan under 20 points. (he mistakenly said it in front of a lazy reporter) Jordan himself credits the discipline he received and coaching form UNC with aiding his rise to prominence.

Our "system" allows breakthrough talent to shine to the fullest and raises the level of all others to effective college players! There is a reason that peeps from our BENCH get drafted in the first round!

Ingram is bothered by the ridiculous and overblown "scandal" and that is all there is to see here.

I am an optimist so I believe he will follow his and his family's heart to UNC! If he chooses the wrong shade of blue, I will lament the loss and wish him well.

Heels are Family!

Not sure if many here caught this story a while back, but I think it fits in this discussion -- was never really a Kobe fan until I read this article and am a 100% believer in what he said.

UNC might have that punchline about holding Jordan's scoring down, but as another poster said - the system taught him, and so many others, how to thrive in the grand scheme and not be a prisoner of the moment. Flashy highlight reels do not survive in the NBA. They just don't. But schools like Kentucky are still able to lure these AAU kids through that sham of a system.

Kobe: What is wrong with the NBA?

Gotta agree with BillyL. I am far removed from this but everything I have read and the timing makes me feel like we will have a new recruit on the 27th.

If Brandon is competitive then he would want to play for a national championship. That should be either priority 1 or 1A. That happens at UNC much more so than Dook next year and probably the year after that.

I think UNC is poised for a run here for the next 3 to 4 years assuming we get who we are projecting in the '16 class. Could be really fun to watch.

Roy deserves it after what happened in '12 with injuries and then unexpected circumstances with Reggie and JMM leaving early as well as PJ and headcase ( I mean McCants) furthering the academic portion.

Time for Roy to just enjoy some good players and kids and compete for a championship.

Pistol Pete Maravich got away, but since he played for his father at LSU I don't really know if Dean recruited him. There will never another player like Pete.

Buck Williams broke my heart at the time. However, I know much more about certain things today than I once did. Coach Smith landed Bob McAdoo, Phil Ford and Walter Davis. after that he did get most of the talent that he went after in N.C.

Billy love your optimism. I hope you are right about Ingram. Would love to see him in light blue next year at UNC.

The only true stud Dean missed on from NC was Rodney Rodgers.... But we got George Lynch and that worked out pretty damm good.

"Pistol's" dream was to play at West Virginia because of Jerry West and "Hot" Rod Hundley. Hell: Press was coaching moo when Pete was at Broughton. Larry Worsley (1965 ACCT MVP) said Pete as an HS underclassman was much better than anybody on State's team. In his book Pete said Press handed him the scholly paperwork for LSU and told him to sign it. Pete said but "we always said I'd play at WV and Press said sign it. Also on Dominique: The talk around the alumni was that Dean did not recruit him whether it was academics , Den not liking his game or the fact Dean did not over recruit. He always gave out several schollies to walk ons. Word was Dominique was set to moo and then Hugh Durham from UGa. signed him.

Billy, I disagree with ya man but I really do hope you are right. Brandan is a heck of a talent for sure, I may not be one that is totally blown away by him at this point but I for sure see the potential for his being a great player one day. I do think we get kenny Williams, will be VERY surprised if we lose him.

But come on man, you know as well as I, the way things are for now when Ky & Kal get engaged all bets are off, they wil turn any kid's head that thinks he is of one & done caliber. So to suggest that Ky is not firmly in the mix per some experts means ya better get ya some more experts to listen to. Yeah, distance is a concern but the kid's brother played in Texas and Don has stated that while he would prefer Brandan play closer that he did not want distance to be a factor in Brandan's final decision.

I am telling ya man, don't be surprised if this kid ends up at Ky but a comit from Newman or Brown would/could change that. I do suspect that kal may be playing Brandan to drive a comit from one of those other 2 kids and maybe both. Kal has to down play Polytress being the starter.

@Dave . .

Yeah, I think Mr. Kenny Williams is going to be a Tar Heel.

Read a report this morning that KW's visit went extremely well, in fact, I'm not sure it could have gone any better for us it went that well.

Marcus was his host, and if you follow UNC recruiting closely, you know the track records of recruits that MP hosts.

Okay, I hear ya on Kentucky's power of attraction for top recruits that wannabe the OADs of the world. Maybe, they have made a big push the past few months for BI and he's a candidate to go there.

We'll know the answer to all this speculation next Monday.

@Dave . .

Read a report this morning that KW's visit went extremely well, in fact, I'm not sure it could have gone any better for us it went that well.

Marcus was his host, and if you follow UNC recruiting closely, you know the track records of recruits that MP hosts.

Okay, I hear ya on Kentucky's power of attraction for top recruits that wannabe the OADs of the world. Maybe, they have made a big push the past few months for BI and he's a candidate to go there.

If we can snag Williams I'm OK with Brandon going to UK. :)

Not true about Dominique... I coached for the Pam Pack my first year out of college and Nique was one of the better students at the school. History has it that it was a race between UNC and NC State, as he lead his team to their 2nd state championship in Carmichael that year. A lot was being pushed about who was better between he and Worthy. Word is, he actually signed to NC State (big Thompson fan), but faxed the letter to UGA at the last second.

Why not get both Williams and Ingram . . ? Ingram could be the finishing piece to a legit title run IMO . .

IMO, I feel this might be a Vaughn/Pinson situation, where if we land one, we won't get the other. Just a feeling though.

Billy, which recruits did MP5 previously host
@Dave . .

Who are on MP5s list??? This kid continues to amaze me

You guys are severely overrating Kenny Williams frosh year impact.
Who is overrating his impact? Maybe one poster was a tad optimistic.
I rate his potential impact for what it needs to, and likely will be.
KW has a pure stroke --- not just a gunner who scores by default --- and a good feel for the game.
As his body and game matures he will improve his overall game over time, but he can also have an immediate impact as a sweet-shooting 2 off the bench, which is just what we'll need him for this season.

@Dave . .

Billy, as I spoke to (not sure if it was in this side or on the premy side) that I strongly suspected what K wanted to say to Brandan face to face was that he had Thorton comitted and now today we see just that. Is it enough is hard to say but if Ky did lead this news of Thorton moves duke up to a close to being tied spot IMO. The timing of Thorton's announcement was not by accident, that is for darn sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT