ADVERTISEMENT

LUCAS: EXPERIENCED...

reggaeheel

Sophomore
Apr 6, 2003
CH
LUCAS: EXPERIENCED...

Last April 1, Roy Williams announced his retirement.

This April 1, Hubert Davis will take the Tar Heels through an open practice at the New Orleans Superdome as one of four participating teams at Final Four Friday.

I really think these might be the most remarkable 12 months in Carolina basketball history. An era ended abruptly. A new era began. Players left and players arrived. Davis put a photo of the Superdome in the players' locker on the first day of practice. Fans came back after a pandemic season. Losses. Wins. Final Four, and now the players are going to see that place they saw in the locker room photo in real life in a few short days (Also excited to see the Superdome: Hubert Davis, who hasn't played or coached there in person, and was giddy on Sunday night about the prospect of experiencing it with his team).

The most regrettable thing about all of this is some people will mistakenly believe it was easy. See, the Carolina name wins by itself! Just roll the balls out and the Tar Heels go to the Final Four. It's so simple!

If you don't remember anything else about the 2022 Final Four season, which by the way still isn't over yet, remember this: it was hard. Hubert Davis had to yell and Hubert Davis had to encourage and Hubert Davis had to coach on every single trip down the court. Through the efforts of Davis and his coaching staff, the Tar Heels transformed right in front of our eyes into one of the four best teams in college basketball.

It is not always going to work out like this. Not every season will go quite this theatrically.

But this one did.

I would like to pause here to remind you that one national "expert" proclaimed Davis the 16th best coach out of the 16 head coaches in the Sweet 16. Thank goodness Davis is better at his job than some columnists are at ranking coaches.

[character limit]

We experience it differently now. There are group texts and FaceTimes just as much as there are meeting to watch a game together. It's still just as sweet.

Friday night, in our family group text after the UCLA game, we received a video of our oldest son, shirtless, waving a towel around his head and screaming. We all understood.

Sunday night, as plans were being made for New Orleans, our youngest daughter texted, "This is a once in a lifetime thing that we get to do every five years or so." Sometimes more often. But no need to rub it in.

She is coming from Nashville and we will all be together in New Orleans and for that weekend, it will be home, and Carolina Basketball did that. Hubert Davis did that and Brady Manek and Caleb Love and RJ Davis and Armando Bacot and Leaky Black and every single Tar Heel did that and I'm really happy for them but I'm really thankful, too. That's why all those people stood out in the cold, to say thank you for giving us these moments, and maybe to try to give one back, too.

I don't know why these occasions are so memorable but I've seen enough of them now that I immediately know they're the ones we remember for a very long time. We have a very close friend who has a son who is just the right age, and he went to Sunday's game in person and got to experience the Tar Heels going to the Final Four. My wife watched him living through it, and looked at me and said, "He's going to remember this forever," and she is exactly right.

We all had that Carolina team, that one that came along at exactly the right year, that forever cemented us as a Tar Heel. This is that one for him, and he'll be able to recite the starting lineup and all the stats 50 years from now, all because of this month of March. Do you have time for me to tell you about the 1987 Tar Heels? That's my team, always will be. Now 2022 belongs to a whole new set of future Heels.

Around 7:30 on Sunday night, our oldest daughter climbed that ladder and cut a piece of the Wells Fargo Center net. I very intentionally tried to look away because I knew how emotional it was going to be, but I made the mistake of looking across the court at my wife, and she—the toughest of all of us, the one who doesn't even cry at the end of Forrest Gump—was in full-on head-in-hands sob mode.

Carolina Basketball did that. And if you've never simultaneously seen one of your family members beam with pride while another one cries with joy, I recommend it.

These are the experiences these Tar Heels have provided us with so far. After all the nets were cut, Leaky Black went over to the stands, where his family was waiting.

"We shared some tears of joy," said his father, Chon Black. "It's a long journey from the backyard to now. What a great day to be a Tar Heel."

Later that night, back near Chapel Hill, Black was sitting on the Carolina bus, net around his neck. The Tar Heels had landed at RDU and were making the drive back to the Smith Center when the questions began:

"Do you think there will be anybody there?"

It was a Sunday night near midnight and it was 38 degrees outside. It was a reasonable question. What they didn't know was that at that exact moment, students were streaming down the hill to the Smith Center, where they were lining the sidewalk that runs between the arena and Koury Natatorium.

The current players didn't know that. They didn't know they would be greeted by hundreds of Tar Heel fans, even in the frosty cold on a school night after midnight.

But someone did know:

Hubert Davis. He heard their questions on the bus, and he broke into a wide smile, because he knew they were about to have another experience they will never forget. "Will there be anybody there?" he asked. "You have no idea."

Maybe not. But they're learning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT