ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Maye Highlights...

ChapelHeeled

All-American
Nov 9, 2011
Thought that some here might enjoy these Luke Maye highlights. Still has some great players ahead of him next season. However, when his game becomes smoother he will be a very, very good player for UNC...

Reactions: clamdyp
This was pretty funny. The slow mo's on him doing an awkward spin move.

I see a big slow unathletic kid who better not have to see the court for a while. Sorry guys, not going to be a homer on this one and say he will be a "very very good player". Go to any good AAU tournament and you'll find 200 kids better than him. Hope he's a good locker room guy. That's about it.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
Not the best put together highlight reel package I have ever seen. I still hold out hope he can be a poor mans Georges Niang.

That wasn't the best in terms of true "highlights", but it did show a good basketball player. I am impressed by anyone who can get a rebound: bring the ball up court ; make the pass; and then rebound the missed layup! I saw him pass it down court and still get there to contend for the rebound also. He hit contested shots and rebounded in traffic. Big and slow are only detriments if you have no other skills. He impacts the game in a stat sheet stuffing way and not in a "wow" way.

I expect him to come in and be a niche contributor at first and start to get more PT in his 2nd and 3rd years! He will be a spot shooter and defender, but will grow into a real game impactor with his work ethic.

Heels are Family!

Reactions: TarHeelMark
To combine those three guys together I wonder if Alex Stepheson who really did nothing and transferred average better numbers than all of them combined?

I see a big slow unathletic kid who better not have to see the court for a while. Sorry guys, not going to be a homer on this one and say he will be a "very very good player". Go to any good AAU tournament and you'll find 200 kids better than him. Hope he's a good locker room guy. That's about it.
Wow. Just wow. Utterly absurd post. SMDH.

When we sit here and say he's going to be a "very very good player" we look foolish. I'm sorry that I call it like I see it when it comes to evaluating prospects and don't droll over a player cuz he's going to UNC next year.

I stand by what I said. I hope he's a good kid, a good locker room influence, a hard worker in practice but if he's playing serious minutes for us we are in big trouble from a talent perspective.

What part of it was absurd . . ? To be honest, I didn't see a whole lot of basketball talent in that 3+ minute video, it looked more like a HS JV game to me.

Maye is not going to be a big contributor or have any big impact for us next year, or even the following year . . he's a 6'7" slow PF that jumps all of 4" off the floor. Too small to play PF, and too slow to play the 3 spot.

But, because the Tar Heel fanbase is so desperate for some great recruiting news we have once again lifted an average player up on a pedestal as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Kinda like we did with Joel 'next coming of Ty Lawson' Berry . .

Reactions: Bur-Heel
I saw a couple of game he played in and I saw 2 games Meeks played in while in High School, he had a way better motor and probably played better than Meeks did in the games I saw...

That wasn't the best in terms of true "highlights", but it did show a good basketball player. I am impressed by anyone who can get a rebound: bring the ball up court ; make the pass; and then rebound the missed layup! I saw him pass it down court and still get there to contend for the rebound also. He hit contested shots and rebounded in traffic. Big and slow are only detriments if you have no other skills. He impacts the game in a stat sheet stuffing way and not in a "wow" way.

I expect him to come in and be a niche contributor at first and start to get more PT in his 2nd and 3rd years! He will be a spot shooter and defender, but will grow into a real game impactor with his work ethic.

Heels are Family!

I agree with your assessment. Glad to have this young man aboard.

I see a big slow uninformed poster who probably never saw any type of court. Sorry guys, not going to be a homer on this one and say he is a "very good Heels fan". Go to any team sports site and you'll find 200 better fans than him. Hope he's kind to his dog. That's about it.

I understand what you are saying but damn....way to throw the kid under the bus! From what I understand he more than held is own on the AAU circuit and you are saying that is not the case! All I know is that I have watched a lot of basketball games and have seen a lot of slow unathletic kids kick the crap out of teams because he outworked, outhustled and outsmarted them all over the court!!!! I am not ready to annoint LM as the 2nd coming but I am also not going to hammer the kid like he sucks.....I think maybe a different approach with an incoming (18 year old) recruit might be better appreciated!!!

Reactions: Archer2
I see a big slow uninformed poster who probably never saw any type of court. Sorry guys, not going to be a homer on this one and say he is a "very good Heels fan". Go to any team sports site and you'll find 200 better fans than him. Hope he's kind to his dog. That's about it.

I'll keep all personal stuff aside, because unlike you I won't try to talk about someone that I literally know nothing about. I could have never touched a ball or I could have played at UNC for all you know, but most likely, we're probably both somewhere in between.

Now, back to the "highlights" we just had to watch.

You seriously saw a guy who could compete at the ACC level? Really? You can sit here and say, "Yup, game on the line, I want him in the game." Come on. I hope the kid has a high motor and helps challenge the guys in practice. But he belongs no where near an ACC game right now.

I understand what you are saying but damn....way to throw the kid under the bus! From what I understand he more than held is own on the AAU circuit and you are saying that is not the case! All I know is that I have watched a lot of basketball games and have seen a lot of slow unathletic kids kick the crap out of teams because he outworked, outhustled and outsmarted them all over the court!!!! I am not ready to annoint LM as the 2nd coming but I am also not going to hammer the kid like he sucks.....I think maybe a different approach with an incoming (18 year old) recruit might be better appreciated!!!

What did I say that was that harsh?

Facts:

He's big.
He's slow.
He's unathletic.
He should not play at this level right now.
Good AAU tournaments are filled with more skilled players.

I don't wish any bad on the kid and I hope he develops. However, at this point from what we've seen, we cannot rely on him to contribute any time soon. Which is fine, we're loaded next year.

I saw a couple of game he played in and I saw 2 games Meeks played in while in High School, he had a way better motor and probably played better than Meeks did in the games I saw...

I think everyone missed on Meeks. Including everyone that ranked Hicks like 50 spots ahead of him...

Scott,

I'm as guilty as dadika then . .

I'll grant you and all the others that have posted, that he is a very good addition to our team, but, he's not the 4 or 5 star recruit that we were all hoping for. He has talent no doubt, but, will it be at the same level from HS to Division 1 basketball . . ? I just don't see it being a first or second year talent contributor to our next couple year's squads.

Luke is just an in-between sized kid that hustles a lot, but will find college basketball more difficult than some expect.

He's going to make some folks here look very foolish.

I totally agree with Mikeirbyusa. People do not win the MVP at the Capital Classic if they are not quality talent. Some on this board have pre-judged way too randomly. Luke Maye will play one day soon in Chapel Hill. When his career is fully finished then those that prejudged his acumen can apologize to both Luke and the Tar Heel Nation...

http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/high-school/2015-capital-classic-recap/#e4iCSMEIAsY7dsy7.97

I'll keep all personal stuff aside, because unlike you I won't try to talk about someone that I literally know nothing about. I could have never touched a ball or I could have played at UNC for all you know, but most likely, we're probably both somewhere in between.

Now, back to the "highlights" we just had to watch.

You seriously saw a guy who could compete at the ACC level? Really? You can sit here and say, "Yup, game on the line, I want him in the game." Come on. I hope the kid has a high motor and helps challenge the guys in practice. But he belongs no where near an ACC game right now.

I've been following Luke''s development for a while, since I learned he might be a possible recruit. He has consistently fared well in all star game/tournament environments. He's more than held his own against top competition, recently winning the MVP Award at one.

And while I won't place great expectations on him, I definitely see a guy who can compete at the ACC level.

I've been following Luke''s development for a while, since I learned he might be a possible recruit. He has consistently fared well in all star game/tournament environments. He's more than held his own against top competition, recently winning the MVP Award at one.

And while I won't place great expectations on him, I definitely see a guy who can compete at the ACC level.

Well... I would happen to agree as well. The thing is some people only pay attention to elite athleticism. Luke Maye is a program player. However, he will play much better after a year or so spent with Jonas. One last video below shows a deft shooter and solid potential Power Forward...

Reactions: Archer2
Scott,

I'm as guilty as dadika then . .

I'll grant you and all the others that have posted, that he is a very good addition to our team, but, he's not the 4 or 5 star recruit that we were all hoping for. He has talent no doubt, but, will it be at the same level from HS to Division 1 basketball . . ? I just don't see it being a first or second year talent contributor to our next couple year's squads.

Luke is just an in-between sized kid that hustles a lot, but will find college basketball more difficult than some expect.

No problem buddy, we all have differing opinions, as we should. I parodied dadika's post because I felt it was unduly harsh. Luke isn't the big 5* stud we'd all love to have but he's consistently played well against top competition. His motor and basketball IQ will help offset his lack of extreme athleticism. I can already tell he's going to be one of my favorites.

Love the kids that love UNC.

Listen, I hope I am dead wrong and have to apologize. I'd love for him to come in under the radar and be a real solid player for us. That 2nd video does look much more favorable, granted the competition level is really unknown. I'm still standing behind him not being ready to contribute his first few years here. Again, I hope I'm very wrong.

Pros:
Very good hands
Good rebounder
Very good outlet passer
Good jump shooter with range
Good kid who loves UNC

Cons:
Smallish for his perceived position
Not a leaper, plays below the rim
Needs to improve his conditioning and get stronger
Average athleticism

Sound like anybody else on our roster when he arrived in Chapel Hill? And I think he's progressing just fine.

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Throw a newly signed recruit under the bus? Poor form to say the least.

So the mix tape didn't show what you were looking for. Maybe you could use some constructive criticism, maybe expand on what you think could improve, maybe see a HS kid who has 4 years to develop his game and contribute.

No one has said he's the next Psycho T, but how about letting the guy step foot on campus at least.

Based on the first video, and the one provided by Chapelheeled, here's what I see:
1. Kid can shoot. And from well beyond the arc. Hasn't that been lacking in recent years?
2. Kid keeps the ball high. All except when he does the little down-low pump fake in the post but most other times he takes a pass or rebound and keeps the ball up. Hope he can show Joel James how it's done this summer.
3. Kid can pass. Both videos show good court vision with Maye hitting the open man 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up court.
4. Kid doesn't have great hops - neither mix video has Luke Maye dunking. It's probably the biggest knock I'd have based on these two videos. His footwork is pretty good though and he keeps balance when spinning/driving to the hoop so it's just a lack of explosiveness.

But for a guy who's going to get 5-8min max per game this year Luke is still a valuable addition.

While watching the second video I also played around with the thought that Maye might be able to play a little wing forward. Most likely not this year, but some-time down the track, especially since he shoots it so well.

Listen, I hope I am dead wrong and have to apologize. I'd love for him to come in under the radar and be a real solid player for us. That 2nd video does look much more favorable, granted the competition level is really unknown. I'm still standing behind him not being ready to contribute his first few years here. Again, I hope I'm very wrong.

I actually like to see fans temper their expectations for incoming players. All too often newcomers are over-hyped to the point that it's impossible for them to live up to the buildup. We see this every year on all sports sites. I prefer to maintain realistic expectations and be pleasantly surprised. I'm sure you would love to see Luke excel. In that, we agree 100%

Throw a newly signed recruit under the bus? Poor form to say the least.

So the mix tape didn't show what you were looking for. Maybe you could use some constructive criticism, maybe expand on what you think could improve, maybe see a HS kid who has 4 years to develop his game and contribute.

No one has said he's the next Psycho T, but how about letting the guy step foot on campus at least.

Based on the first video, and the one provided by Chapelheeled, here's what I see:
1. Kid can shoot. And from well beyond the arc. Hasn't that been lacking in recent years?
2. Kid keeps the ball high. All except when he does the little down-low pump fake in the post but most other times he takes a pass or rebound and keeps the ball up. Hope he can show Joel James how it's done this summer.
3. Kid can pass. Both videos show good court vision with Maye hitting the open man 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up court.
4. Kid doesn't have great hops - neither mix video has Luke Maye dunking. It's probably the biggest knock I'd have based on these two videos. His footwork is pretty good though and he keeps balance when spinning/driving to the hoop so it's just a lack of explosiveness.

But for a guy who's going to get 5-8min max per game this year Luke is still a valuable addition.

While watching the second video I also played around with the thought that Maye might be able to play a little wing forward. Most likely not this year, but some-time down the track, especially since he shoots it so well.

Any and all highlight films showing kids making baskets are the standard rather than not, they're basically all-world players that never miss a shot. If, they did miss, it really isn't much of a highlight is it . . ? LOL
In that entire highlight reel, who did you see making it look tough for Luke . . ? Of course he's going to look like an all-star forward . . why show you anything that isn't the most complimentary to the player . . ?

By those highlights, Maye will be 1st team ACC . . . LOL

Agree about highlight reels Billy. But you can determine a few things from them. We see that Luke has good hands, can shoot, rebound, and pass. We can also see that he's an average athlete by NCAA standards. Is he a diamond in the rough that will exceed expectations/rankings or is he a very good high school player that is a tad slow and small to play effectively at the D1 level?

Only time will tell. But as I told dadika, there's no doubt in my mind that you would be thrilled if he turned out to be one of the former. As would I. I love to see people overcome long odds to succeed.

Agree about highlight reels Billy. But you can determine a few things from them. We see that Luke has good hands, can shoot, rebound, and pass. We can also see that he's an average athlete by NCAA standards. Is he a diamond in the rough that will exceed expectations/rankings or is he a very good high school player that is a tad slow and small to play effectively at the D1 level?

Only time will tell. But as I told dadika, there's no doubt in my mind that you would be thrilled if he turned out to be one of the former. As would I. I love to see people overcome long odds to succeed.

Scott,

I hear ya. All I'm trying to do is keep our fans' expectations about Luke in check rather than give him all the hype in the world and be disappointed next season.
When was the last time a preferred walk-on came in and gave us contributions that sent the message boards buzzing . . ?

I hope he gets a scholly, but, IMO theres a reason he never received a scholarship offer from Roy. Give that some thought before we as a group anoint him as the next Jawed Williams or anywhere near that.

Im agreeing with Archer on this. The last few years, when we a play a smaller school and someone goes off all we hear "why doesn't Roy recruit that type of player? A 4 star kid that can shoot?" l that's what Luke Maye is. He will surprise the doubters. No doubt haha.

Reactions: GACMAN
Im agreeing with Archer on this. The last few years, when we a play a smaller school and someone goes off all we hear "why doesn't Roy recruit that type of player? A 4 star kid that can shoot?" l that's what Luke Maye is. He will surprise the doubters. No doubt haha.

The problem is most recruit rankings have him as a 3 star player.

He will be a good addition, we have a player that can shoot, we cannot be so enamored with jumping and dunking guys who can't even hit free throws, this guy can shoot and is smart...

Who cares how many stars he has.

The problem with Luke Maye to an extent is that he seems to be Jackson Simmons with a slightly better shot and slightly more size.

Sadly, Maye doesn't have really good FT numbers either.

We will have to see how he develops, but he is going to have to play the 4 to get shots because he can't create his own shot. Which means he might not be anything of a threat inside because he can't get up high enough to get over most 4s. He will be a project, glue guy.

I love that he wants to be a Tar Heel, has a good motor when on the court and for the most part is fundamentally sound.
We need good practice players . . he'll get 4-5 minutes a game and give our main guys a rest when they need it.
Bam-Bam he isn't. Thats all I'm saying . .

Bam-Bam he isn't. Thats all I'm saying . .

I don't think anyone is saying he is, nor another Jawad, Deon, Tyler (Hansbrough or Zeller) etc.

I also wouldn't say he's the second coming of Mike Copeland, though Byron Sanders would be good (He was more athletic, less fundamentally sound)

I'd go so far as to say Jackson Simmons with some extra beef and a better outside shot.

So lets agree, he's a good, solid back-up who brings some skill, with limitations who'll have time to improve.

That seems to be what this team, with a loaded roster, needs next year. It also gives the team depth for future years.... as long as Roy can land a couple of 5* talents to rotate in and out during Luke's 4 years at UNC.

Of course, if sometime in the next 4 seasons he has one of those OMG he-can't-miss-from-anywhere games I just hope it'll be at Hansbrough Indoor.

He can get his own shot and he is a good bit better than Simmons Hubert and James
Where does this comment come from? His stats are very similar to Simmons in HS. He clearly cannot create his own shot in the video. All his shots are pop and shoot or wide open not defended. He is too slow to space and too short to shoot over people with his limited leaping ability?

Like I said, he can help us by spacing the 4 out, but I don't know where you get he is "a good bit better" than whoever and can create his own shot.

What did I say that was that harsh?

Facts:

He's big.
He's slow.
He's unathletic.
He should not play at this level right now.
Good AAU tournaments are filled with more skilled players.

I don't wish any bad on the kid and I hope he develops. However, at this point from what we've seen, we cannot rely on him to contribute any time soon. Which is fine, we're loaded next year.
I would like to know how many games you have watched him play….how many videos have you seen? I am guessing you are making a judgement based on a couple of videos and I hate that for the kid……I also am curious what qualifications you have to make a judgement that he can't play at this level….same goes for your AAU statement…..are you a college coach…high school…aau coach….just curious!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT