ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Maye Highlights...

I like him. He's certainly not a great athlete but he's a very good basketball player. He will be a good four year player for us. Every player doesn't have to wow you to be a good player in college

Roy played Simmons a fair amount and most seem to think he is a better player/shooter than Jackson.

I think he will develop into a nice 4 year player who will help us down the road.

Glad he is a heel!!!

Roy played Simmons a fair amount and most seem to think he is a better player/shooter than Jackson.

I think he will develop into a nice 4 year player who will help us down the road.

Glad he is a heel!!!

Morning coffee is brewing. I will say that I do believe that Jonas will be a large help in helping Luke attain his maximum potential. Time will tell...

Where does this comment come from? His stats are very similar to Simmons in HS. He clearly cannot create his own shot in the video. All his shots are pop and shoot or wide open not defended. He is too slow to space and too short to shoot over people with his limited leaping ability?

Like I said, he can help us by spacing the 4 out, but I don't know where you get he is "a good bit better" than whoever and can create his own shot.

Luke played against much better competition than Jackson and is a far better shooter. I'll just say I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised. BTW, didn't realize he played baseball as well.

I'm not one of those that's all rainbows and sunshine. All of you know that. But I agree with Gary that dadika's statement that "you can go to any AAU tournament and find 200 players better" is indeed absurd.

He's not an potential All-American and he's not a buster. By his senior year, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with what Maye gives us.

Luke has played on 4 basketball teams covered by MaxPreps. The accumulated varsity totals are in the last row of each table.

• Games Played
  • Points Per Game
  • Assists Per Game
  • Rebounds Per Game
  • Steals Per Game
  • Blocks Per Game
If one reads up on Luke one finds he is a good player. At 6'7" to 6'8" and 230 he will give us some help inside, and out, and as folks that saw him in HS will recall, he is tough to try to push around.

Luke Maye will surprise lots of people.
Notice the outlet passes, wonder where he got that arm from?
If he has half the heart of his Dad we have a winner!

Where does this comment come from? His stats are very similar to Simmons in HS. He clearly cannot create his own shot in the video. All his shots are pop and shoot or wide open not defended. He is too slow to space and too short to shoot over people with his limited leaping ability?

Like I said, he can help us by spacing the 4 out, but I don't know where you get he is "a good bit better" than whoever and can create his own shot.

Space has seen him play quite a bit, would pay for everyone to listen to what Space is saying here.

I've been following Luke''s development for a while, since I learned he might be a possible recruit. He has consistently fared well in all star game/tournament environments. He's more than held his own against top competition, recently winning the MVP Award at one.

And while I won't place great expectations on him, I definitely see a guy who can compete at the ACC level.

I don't think anyone expects the kid to be an All-ACC frosh, but I agree with Archer's post for the most part. His can stretch the defense from the 4 and he knows how to use that large butt for positioning inside. He may not be the most athletic player on the court be has great basketball skills and seems to be aware of his limitations. He may be a bit of a liability when defending quicker 4's and I really don't want to see a Maye & Meeks front court very often. Danny Devito has a better vertical than both of them...combined.

Many players have exceled over the years that aren't athletic and play below the rim. Although I expect Maye is a lot more athletic than the experts on here give him credit for. I genuinely doubt that the 18.9 he averaged were all uncontested.

There is no comparison in the competition that Simmons played against and what Maye played against. Maye played against big time competition in Charlotte as did Meeks. Smoky Mountain 2A , Hough 4A. Simmons probably never played against a college prospect in HS.

What did I say that was that harsh?

Facts:

He's big.
He's slow.
He's unathletic.
He should not play at this level right now.
Good AAU tournaments are filled with more skilled players.

I don't wish any bad on the kid and I hope he develops. However, at this point from what we've seen, we cannot rely on him to contribute any time soon. Which is fine, we're loaded next year.

When you say things like

"Go to any good AAU tournament and you'll find 200 kids better than him. Hope he's a good locker room guy. That's about it."

you should expect some flak.

That is indeed harsh.

You are also ignoring considerable independent outside evidence and ratings that suggest you are off the mark where Luke Maye is concerned. ESPN has him rated #95 in their top 100. Just one instance of a independent differing opinion. There are others.

More importantly than that, in THIS class at his size there are definitely not 200 better players at "any good aau tournament".

I don't expect Luke to be a world beater, but I think you were pretty disrespectful and considerably off the mark with your comment above.

Space has seen him play quite a bit, would pay for everyone to listen to what Space is saying here.

I've heard what Space has had to say so many times, that he's the last person I need to hear from . .

LOL

What part of it was absurd . . ? To be honest, I didn't see a whole lot of basketball talent in that 3+ minute video, it looked more like a HS JV game to me.

Maye is not going to be a big contributor or have any big impact for us next year, or even the following year . . he's a 6'7" slow PF that jumps all of 4" off the floor. Too small to play PF, and too slow to play the 3 spot.

But, because the Tar Heel fanbase is so desperate for some great recruiting news we have once again lifted an average player up on a pedestal as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Kinda like we did with Joel 'next coming of Ty Lawson' Berry . .
The post i referred to was absurd because it said there were 200 kids at any given AAU tourney better than Luke. Yeah, I'm sure all 200 of them could be MVP of the Capital Classic.

That being said, nobody is putting him on any "pedestal". Most of us here quite realistically see Luke for what he is: a solid player who will end up being a nice contributor here, and likely more than just another Jackson Simmons or Desmond Hubert.

However what is truly absurd is your tiresome passive-aggressive reference to Joel Berry. Average player? Billy, congratulations, you continue to make an utter fool out of yourself. :rolleyes:

The only 'utter fool' on the board were those that thought Joel 'Ty Lawson' Berry was going to be last year's starting PG . .

MVP at any all-star event is a freaking joke . .

LOL

Reasonable people can obviously differ on how well a prospect will do in college or the pros. I've pointed out before that Doug McDermott had similar scouting reports and was also a 3-star coming out of high school. I'm not saying that Luke will be McDermott but I'm glad he's a Heel and I look forward to seeing him play.

I can't believe we are having this discussion and its not positive, this guy is good and will help the Heels in areas that are needed like shooting and IQ...

I can't believe we are having this discussion and its not positive, this guy is good and will help the Heels in areas that are needed like shooting and IQ...

Exactly. "All Star" he ain't, but he sure knows how to play the game!

I've heard what Space has had to say so many times, that he's the last person I need to hear from . .

LOL

Many things he says I ignore, but when he talks about somebody he has seen play, I listen. Space is very good at evaluating talent. Like him or not, he can do that pretty good.

But much as disagree I still like him. :cool:

If he can come off the bench and hit an occasional 3-pointer that will be a "significant" plus. The Heels need shooters, period.

Spacey finally got the white-boy shooter he's wanted for years, of course he's going to be happy (for now.)

;)

Many things he says I ignore, but when he talks about somebody he has seen play, I listen. Space is very good at evaluating talent. Like him or not, he can do that pretty good.

But much as disagree I still like him. :cool:
I will not be wrong on this guy, 4 year player, maybe even a red shirt who knows, but in the end you will be happy with this pick up and a Double digit scorer Junior and Senior year..

Spacey finally got the white-boy shooter he's wanted for years, of course he's going to be happy (for now.)

;)

Bageezus Billy... Why did you have to throw race into this discussion?? Before you come back at me let me state that this is the first post of yours that I have ever read with this type of tone. I believe that you follow and love the Tar Heels. Basically, if Luke is batting nearly .400 for his HS baseball team then I would say that he is indeed an athlete of sorts (at the very least). Whether or not you truly believe that he is a nice program player and/or a player with better than average upside potential, at least stop attacking the young man. You seem to be very sensitive to this entire conversation. I do not know why that might be so. However, let us both pull in the proper direction for young Mr. Maye. He is now a Tar Heel. He will most likely be on campus within the next 45 days or so (if not sooner). Therefore he is one of us now. I would ask that out of respect for his family and the entire UNC family that things tone down now with respect to one of our very own...

@ ChapelHeeled

Whoa . . slow down some.

Its only a sarcastic comment, as I'm only repeating what Spacey has written and posted here over and again. He's complained time after time about us not getting that white guy that can shoot lights out from the floor. No harm was intended by me for that comment.

Relax a little.

I am a fan of Luke Maye, he got what he wanted so badly, a chance to be a Tar Heel player. I'm happy for him, but, it will be a while IMO before he makes any significant contributions in a competitive game.

jmho

Reactions: heelmanwilm
@ ChapelHeeled

Whoa . . slow down some.

Its only a sarcastic comment, as I'm only repeating what Spacey has written and posted here over and again. He's complained time after time about us not getting that white guy that can shoot lights out from the floor. No harm was intended by me for that comment.

Relax a little.

I am a fan of Luke Maye, he got what he wanted so badly, a chance to be a Tar Heel player. I'm happy for him, but, it will be a while IMO before he makes any significant contributions in a competitive game.

jmho

Agree with Billy here, as anyone would who read a lot of Space's in-game posts last season! It was nothing more than a dig.

I too don't think race has anything to do with shooting ability and that shows with the two frosh coming in, both are good shooters from different racial backgrounds.

I haven't read anything about Luke Maye's academics, but I saw somewhere that Williams is also a good student. Hopefully both will bring much needed skills on the court and off.

@ ChapelHeeled

Whoa . . slow down some.

Relax a little.

jmho
My apologies... I did not know the story you have told about Spacey. All jokes aside I hope that all of our future players are well received here. UNC sure is not for everyone. Never will be. Thanks for the explanation and Go Heels!

This is a win-win situation for the Heels. At worst, his career path will parallel that of Simmons/James, at best he will surprise many of you and be starting by his Junior year. I tend to believe the latter is more likely than the former. This kid's heart will not allow him to ride the pines without giving every ounce of energy he possesses.

If he has half the heart of his dad, combined with his various skills, that should suffice.

My apologies... I did not know the story you have told about Spacey. All jokes aside I hope that all of our future players are well received here. UNC sure is not for everyone. Never will be. Thanks for the explanation and Go Heels!

No apology needed . . and in a large part, Spacey is right, as we all are in saying we need shooters of any size, shape or color. Both Luke and Kenny can each shoot the ball and at a very good percentage.

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
First, Maye is not 6'10" and 250lbs but he is about the same height & weight as Hansbourgh was. No, he isn't T-50 and the Micky D folk didn't invite him but the kid has played well when matched up against much higher rated talents. Some kids just defy measurable, some kids are gamers. No, he wasn't highly recruited but Clemson offered him, who was it besides UNC that offered Hubert Davis?

Was I blown away by the above linked video, not really but I did see a solidly built 6'7" kid that rebounded the ball and took it the length of the court and believe it or not those kind of kids don't exactly grow on trees. I would not say he is a lights out jump shooter but he is a kid that believes he can knock it down when he gets a clean look and does not strike me as a kid that tries to do things outside of his skill and ability.

No, he isn't a high riser, no he isn't 6'11, no he is not a rim protecting intimidator but he is solid, does not need to eat his way in to our line up. And as solid as he already is, this kid could really develop in to a strong man inside force for us working with our strength & conditioning coaching. I see him as a Ben McCauley or maybe Kris Lang like guy and will be really happy if he hits that level. If the kid were 3 inches taller every coach in the country would want him.

I am not looking for much more than mop up minutes from him as a freshman but that doesn't mean in a given game he couldn't come in and grab a couple rebounds and hit a shot or 2.

David, I sure hope he is better than Kris "Klang"...Kris was great as a freshman and seemed to not ever get a whole lot better. Highly regarded and recruited though. As you say, who knows, some kids are outside the box on "measurement".
I'll take a good kid, who is a pretty good athlete, with good genes, who is smart on the floor and in the classroom...and he will help the Heels win doing it.

The only 'utter fool' on the board were those that thought Joel 'Ty Lawson' Berry was going to be last year's starting PG . .

MVP at any all-star event is a freaking joke . .

LOL
Seriously? You keep throwing Ty Lawson into this, yet Ty would not have started a single game as a freshman had Bobby Frasor not blown a knee. Does that diminish Ty's abilities? No.
And BTW, Joel Berry isn't the "second coming" of anybody. He is the first coming of Joel Berry, who will be the next great Carolina Point Guard, as much as I'm sure that will pain you (for whatever convoluted reason).

Oh, and as for your sage wisdom about all-star MVPs, I guess that makes your boy Brandon Ingram a "freaking joke" as well, huh?

SMDH.

BillyL has been weird lately. All doom.and gloom and pessimism. Reminds me of someone who finds out they have cancer and hates all the world for it or something. Really weird.

Berry is awesome. Will be awesome next year.

Ok...I'm a football guy....Maye looks like a stud TE...jk from what I can see there are gonna be some people eating crow here....no he is not Uber athletic but he is not a clod either. ...I think he is a better prospect than Kris Lang and he was a Mikey Der. I tell you who Maye reminds me of....a slightly thicker Tom Sheehy from UVa...might be before some of you guys time....lol But Sheehy ended up being a double figure scorer by his jr/Sr year.....and above all else he will kill or die right or wrong to wear that jersey....I say welcome aboard.....go heels!,,

Seriously? You keep throwing Ty Lawson into this, yet Ty would not have started a single game as a freshman had Bobby Frasor not blown a knee. Does that diminish Ty's abilities? No.
And BTW, Joel Berry isn't the "second coming" of anybody. He is the first coming of Joel Berry, who will be the next great Carolina Point Guard, as much as I'm sure that will pain you (for whatever convoluted reason).

Oh, and as for your sage wisdom about all-star MVPs, I guess that makes your boy Brandon Ingram a "freaking joke" as well, huh?

SMDH.

First of all, stop shaking your head, coach bobble-head.

Never said anything about Ingram other than what was being reported, that he was the best player on the West squad and had been killing it all week. And yes, I wanted him badly for us . . but, you are correct in saying Berry will never be a Ty Lawson, how great he will be is up to him.
Hell, some on here are already over-hyping the kid once again and have him as 1st team ALL-ACC . . . I do hope so, but, I really doubt that comes to fruition.

#realitycheck

ADVERTISEMENT