ADVERTISEMENT

Man Arrested for Shooting Down Drone . . ***Update to Story ***

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
This may be an interesting case . . . curious as to which way this goes in a court of law. It appears the man did violate a law for firing a weapon within the city limits.
My question might be are drones being used as electronic peeping toms . . ?

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29650818/h...ght-to-privacy

Quote :
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Hillview man has been arrested after he shot down a drone flying over his property -- but he's not making any apologies for it.

It happened Sunday night at a home on Earlywood Way, just south of the intersection between Smith Lane and Mud Lane in Bullitt County, according to an arrest report.

Hillview Police say they were called to the home of 47-year-old William H. Merideth after someone complained about a firearm.

When they arrived, police say Merideth told them he had shot down a drone that was flying over his house. The drone was hit in mid-air and crashed in a field near Merideth's home.

Police say the owner of the drone claimed he was flying it to get pictures of a friend's house -- and that the cost of the drone was over $1,800.

Merideth was arrested and charged with first degree criminal mischief and first degree wanton endangerment. He was booked into the Bullitt County Detention Center, and released on Monday.

WDRB News spoke with Merideth Tuesday afternoon, and he gave his side of the story.

"Sunday afternoon, the kids – my girls – were out on the back deck, and the neighbors were out in their yard," Merideth said. "And they come in and said, 'Dad, there’s a drone out here, flying over everybody’s yard.'"

Merideth's neighbors saw it too.

"It was just hovering above our house and it stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off," said neighbor Kim VanMeter.

VanMeter has a 16-year-old daughter who lays out at their pool. She says a drone hovering with a camera is creepy and weird.

"I just think you should have privacy in your own backyard," she said.

Merideth agrees and said he had to go see for himself.

“Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor’s house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they’ve got under their back yard," Merideth said. "I went and got my shotgun and I said, ‘I’m not going to do anything unless it’s directly over my property.’"

That moment soon arrived, he said.

"Within a minute or so, here it came," he said. "It was hovering over top of my property, and I shot it out of the sky."

"I didn't shoot across the road, I didn't shoot across my neighbor's fences, I shot directly into the air," he added.

It wasn't long before the drone's owners appeared.

"Four guys came over to confront me about it, and I happened to be armed, so that changed their minds," Merideth said.

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40 mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

A short time later, Merideth said the police arrived.

"There were some words exchanged there about my weapon, and I was open carry – it was completely legal," he said. "Long story short, after that, they took me to jail for wanton endangerment first degree and criminal mischief...because I fired the shotgun into the air."

Merideth said he was disappointed with the police response.

"They didn’t confiscate the drone. They gave the drone back to the individuals," he said. "They didn’t take the SIM card out of it…but we’ve got…five houses here that everyone saw it – they saw what happened, including the neighbors that were sitting in their patio when he flew down low enough to see under the patio."

Hillview Police detective Charles McWhirter says you can't fire your gun in the city.

"Well, we do have a city ordinance against discharging firearms in the city, but the officer made an arrest for a Kentucky Revised Statute violation," he said.

According to the Academy of Model Aeronautics safety code, unmanned aircraft like drones may not be flown in a careless or reckless manner and has to be launched at least 100 feet downwind of spectators.

The FAA says drones cannot fly over buildings -- and that shooting them poses a significant safety hazard.

"An unmanned aircraft hit by gunfire could crash, causing damage to persons or property on the ground, or it could collide with other objects in the air," said FAA spokesman Les Dorr.

Merideth said he's offering no apologies for what he did.

"He didn’t just fly over," he said. "If he had been moving and just kept moving, that would have been one thing -- but when he come directly over our heads, and just hovered there, I felt like I had the right."

"You know, when you’re in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy," he said. "We don't know if he was looking at the girls. We don’t know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing."

For now, Merideth says he's planning on pursuing legal action against the owners of the drone.

"We’re not going to let it go," he said. "I believe there are rules that need to be put into place and the situation needs to be addressed because everyone I’ve spoke to, including police, have said they would have done the same thing."

"Because our rights are being trampled daily," he said. "Not on a local level only - but on a state and federal level. We need to have some laws in place to handle these kind of things."

I would have taken the opportunity to target practice myself. This has to violate some rule. I like how he did not back down from those punks.

Reactions: GACMAN
Hope we can get updates on how this case ends up.

I can promise you that if a drone was hovering over my wife or daughters in the back yard as they were lying out, I would sure as hell shoot it with a shotgun. Laws weren't written for these scenarios and what recourse does someone have if a drone is hanging out peeking in your windows?

Side note- I have never actually seen a drone- any one else seen one?

Hope we can get updates on how this case ends up.

I can promise you that if a drone was hovering over my wife or daughters in the back yard as they were lying out, I would sure as hell shoot it with a shotgun. Laws weren't written for these scenarios and what recourse does someone have if a drone is hanging out peeking in your windows?

Side note- I have never actually seen a drone- any one else seen one?

I've seen one, and it looked to me to be of a fairly high quality.

Theres a tennis court across the street from our house in Reston, and one day I noticed a guy with what looked like a small laptop computer flying one. He started it over a professional office park(about 150 yards away) and then brought it back into the neighborhood.
At one point I went out of the house and watched what he was doing, I'd say the drone was around 140-160 feet in the air at it's highest elevation. He was constantly looking at his screen, and I'm not sure he ever noticed me looking at him. I watched him and the drone for about 40 minutes, I assumed it was a play toy that he had invested some money in and nothing more. I don't know enough about the camera capabilities or what it is they can be equipped with. The guy brought it back to his location, he then packed it up, put it in his car and left.

I've seen one, and it looked to me to be of a fairly high quality.

Theres a tennis court across the street from our house in Reston, and one day I noticed a guy with what looked like a small laptop computer flying one. He started it over a professional office park(about 150 yards away) and then brought it back into the neighborhood.
At one point I went out of the house and watched what he was doing, I'd say the drone was around 140-160 feet in the air at it's highest elevation. He was constantly looking at his screen, and I'm not sure he ever noticed me looking at him. I watched him and the drone for about 40 minutes, I assumed it was a play toy that he had invested some money in and nothing more. I don't know enough about the camera capabilities or what it is they can be equipped with. The guy brought it back to his location, he then packed it up, put it in his car and left.

Interesting. I think if I see this, I will approach the guy with the laptop and ask him non-threatening questions to see if I can figure out what he is up to.

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40 mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"
fire.png
100.png

Good. It is trespassing and he doesn't owe those creeps anything. Interesting that those idiots knew exactly which house to show up at to ask for the drone... they obviously knew where they were flying it and who they were creeping on.

Drones also caused issues a few weeks ago during the California wildfires, where the fire-fighting planes couldn't do their jobs due to drones interfering with their flight paths.

I think I might try to rope it, or somehow gain control of it if it were snooping on my property like that. They would have a heck of a time getting me to give it back to them. If it's on my property, I just acquired myself a drone.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
This guy is sorta my hero now. Especially with what Raising quoted above. He'll win this if it goes to court.

Also.......this is exactly like the South Park episode about drones.....even the part with them using it as a peeping device.

ETA: Also........what kind of ordinance states you can't discharge a gun inside city limits? Surely they left out a word or phrase like "needlessly" or "if not being threatened" ? Seems like some 2nd Amendment issues could be at play.

They make a drone now that can follow behind you automatically with a 'Go Pro' camera. So if you're into snowboarding, skiing, or just about anything outdoors, you can get overhead footage in 1080hd.

I'd like to get one for the next time I play an outdoor gig. You could program it to get some schweet fly-by shots. Unfortunately they're pretty pricey

A friend of mine is into flying planes and drones. He has a smaller model that's maybe 15" across. You can program it to do flight patterns and pinpoint GPS manuvers. His model is around $900. Still somewhat a base model to the real enthusiast. Add a $500 go pro and that turns out to be a fairly expensive setup. If someone is using it to creep on people, you can really do nothing but shoot the thing out the sky. Some models have good range, so the operator could be 500 yards away. Now there are you tube videos of people mounting modified guns on these things. It's scary to even think about the possibilities of malicious activities that one could do with a drone

ETA: Also........what kind of ordinance states you can't discharge a gun inside city limits? Surely they left out a word or phrase like "needlessly" or "if not being threatened" ? Seems like some 2nd Amendment issues could be at play.

That's how it is in our town. I think it's mostly for people doing target practice and noise issues. Fortunately, part of my property, not far from the house, is not in the city limits...

I think local governments are going to have to move quickly to address these things. As was stated earlier, they have tremendous range and the cameras are very high quality. I love hiking and dread the day that I start seeing these things flying around over the treeline...

No need to dread them out there, most are just outdoor enthusiast like yourself.

From the article linked :

Judge to man who shot down a drone : You “Had A Right” To Shoot Down Drone

A Hillview man who was arrested after he shot down a drone flying over his property was told by a judge that he has a right to shoot it down.

The police had arrested 47-year-old William H. Merideth after he had confessed to them he had shot down a drone that was flying over his house. The $1800 drone was hit in mid-air and crashed in a field near Merideth’s home.

After his arrest, Merideth was being produced in Bullit County District Court where the judge has determined that Merideth was within his rights when he pulled out a shotgun and shot down a drone that was allegedly spying on his family.

The court went on to dismiss all charges against Meredith. Merideth said the operator was violating his privacy and spying on his family. Monday’s hearing in Bullitt County lasted just over two hours and based on the judge’s ruling, William Merideth says he feels vindicated.

“Was it handled the right way, I don’t think so but justice came out in the end,” said Merideth.

It’s what he’s been saying all along, since shooting down David Boggs’ drone in July. Meredith says it was hovering over his Hillview property and he thought it was spying on his family.

“I was in my right to protect my family and my property,” said Merideth.

“Do you also agree that you chose to allow that drone to hover over some of those people’s property there on Earlywood Way?” said Merideth’s Attorney.

“No that’s not true,” replied Boggs.

During Monday’s hearing, Boggs testified that flight data showed the drone was flying higher than Meredith stated. But Judge Rebecca Ward says that since at least two witnesses could see the drone below the tree line, it was an invasion of privacy.

“He had a right to shoot at this drone, and I’m gonna dismiss this charge,” said Ward.

Judge Ward dismissed both charges against Merideth including criminal mischief and wanton endangerment.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/10/judge-says-the-man-who-shot-down-a-drone-has-a-right-to-do-so.html

I think I might try to rope it, or somehow gain control of it if it were snooping on my property like that. They would have a heck of a time getting me to give it back to them. If it's on my property, I just acquired myself a drone.

Yeah, I think that is what I would do. I mean, I don't have a gun anyway (thinking about getting one though) so I couldn't shot it. I have a pressure washer with one of those long telescopic wands that extends it though. I bet I could take care of it with that.

I think this story is pretty awesome. Good for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT