ADVERTISEMENT

Meep thoughts

JuleZ '02 HEEL

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2003
Here be dragons
3656-1269759530-27a83dcd38cdd0d70110e8f0bff9271c.jpg

I figure this is as good a place as any to post this clip of me singing Rainbow Connection as all (well, most) of the Muppets.

Reactions: Raising Heel
@heelz2345

I'm the middle of three boys. My younger brother is about 7.5 years my younger. He went through that phase at about 3 years old where he watched the same few movies over and over and over, day after day. One of those movies was the Muppet Movie, which of course opens with Kermit in the swamp singing The Rainbow Connection.

That was over 30 years ago. My younger brother got married last fall. My mom made the song selection for the mother-son dance a surprise. I'm sure by now you've guessed what it was. My brother just started laughing hysterically when he heard the first unmistakable notes picked on the banjo, even though some of the crowd probably didn't recognize the song and certainly didn't understand its significance. The best part was that at the key change (the 2:05 mark above), my older brother and I jumped up on the dance floor and joined my mom and brother for the rest of the song. So yeah, it has a lot of sentimental value for my family.

Anyway, that's a pretty fantastic rendition you have there. I love that use you the other characters' voices instead of sticking with Kermit all the way through. When did you learn you have a talent for that sort of thing (the voices, not the singing)?

Reactions: heelz2345
@heelz2345

I'm the middle of three boys. My younger brother is about 7.5 years my younger. He went through that phase at about 3 years old where he watched the same few movies over and over and over, day after day. One of those movies was the Muppet Movie, which of course opens with Kermit in the swamp singing The Rainbow Connection.

That was over 30 years ago. My younger brother got married last fall. My mom made the song selection for the mother-son dance a surprise. I'm sure by now you've guessed what it was. My brother just started laughing hysterically when he heard the first unmistakable notes picked on the banjo, even though some of the crowd probably didn't recognize the song and certainly didn't understand its significance. The best part was that at the key change (the 2:05 mark above), my older brother and I jumped up on the dance floor and joined my mom and brother for the rest of the song. So yeah, it has a lot of sentimental value for my family.

Anyway, that's a pretty fantastic rendition you have there. I love that use you the other characters' voices instead of sticking with Kermit all the way through. When did you learn you have a talent for that sort of thing (the voices, not the singing)?

That's a great story! It's a great song and movie for sure! I have been doing impressions since I was about 8 or 9 years old. The first one I did was the Crocodile Hunter, it was just something I did as a joke one time, and my family really liked it, so I kept doing it. I'm a middle child as well (sisters on both sides) so I'm sure I don't have to tell you if you do something that the family notices, you keep doing it, haha. But I would just try imitating different voices, trying out different bits. I do a mix of impressions of real people and characters. Some of my family's favorites are Bill Murray in Caddyshack, Cleveland from Family Guy, and Harry Caray a la Will Ferrell. The Muppets thing just sort of happened one time about 18 months ago, and I tried doing Kermit's voice. Then I just kept trying other characters to see how many I could do. Miss Piggy always gets the big reaction from people. But I appreciate you watching and enjoying the video! After the performance in that video, many people in the audience told me how much they loved the Muppets, and stories like yours, so it's just nice that this sort of silly talent just connects to people who have a shared love of these great characters.

I'm a middle child as well (sisters on both sides)
You poor soul. ;)

I'd find your Miss Piggy disturbingly accurate if she weren't actually voiced by a dude, LOL. My older brother and I used to watch the Muppet Show regularly, before my younger brother was even born, so it was really cool that we all shared that same interest despite our age differences. It's great that you can elicit that same kind of response with your performance. Good stuff.

You poor soul. ;)

I'd find your Miss Piggy disturbingly accurate if she weren't actually voiced by a dude, LOL. My older brother and I used to watch the Muppet Show regularly, before my younger brother was even born, so it was really cool that we all shared that same interest despite our age differences. It's great that you can elicit that same kind of response with your performance. Good stuff.

Haha, I know, that's the funny thing about Miss Piggy, I'm always like "She was originally voiced by Frank Oz, it wasn't a woman." But it's always nice to find something like the Muppets that spans generations and creates shared experiences regardless of age, race, and gender and can connect people who may never actually meet in person haha.

ADVERTISEMENT