ADVERTISEMENT

Mike hughes commits to unc

Huge huge pickup. Four star athlete who should help shore up defensive depth at CB for foreseeable future. Also was assumed to be a heavy State lean throughout his recruitment. His choice today could have blown the lid off their class, but instead the Heels get a big surprise and steal back the momentum.

Welcome to the Hill, Mike!

Mike Hughes profile

The usual character assassination crew is at it full bore on crackride. Keep it up boys and girls..their Staff monitors social media as well. :)

Originally posted by CrazyHeel:
He's gonna need to put up some muscle at 160 pounds.
S/C will do that. Hell when I went to S/C camp for two weeks at UNC and NC State when I was 17 and followed up on the workouts and diets, I put on 20 lbs and dropped body fat percentage within 2-2.5 months. Granted any gains you make under age 20 is essentially still 'newbie gains', they can pack on quality pounds.

I miss those days when my bench press would go up just looking at a barbell... Nowadays I have to workout just to not be a fatass.

The thing with Hughes is that he as the intangibles.

Nice pickup by the Heels. Hughes led New Bern HS to 4A state championship less than two weeks ago. Single handidly beat Wilmington Hoggard in semi finals by rushing for 3 TD's and passing for three more. Had over 250 yards rushing. Great athlete, good coaches will get some weight on him and find a spot for him.

Originally posted by mahncpa1:
Nice pickup by the Heels. Hughes led New Bern HS to 4A state championship less than two weeks ago. Single handidly beat Wilmington Hoggard in semi finals by rushing for 3 TD's and passing for three more. Had over 250 yards rushing. Great athlete, good coaches will get some weight on him and find a spot for him.
Great athelete for sure, and look forward to watching him play for Carolina ASAP....Glad to also hear he's an early enrollee, and ready to challenge for a spot or playing time....That mind set is just what the Tarheels need out of this class....

Mike Hughes in Carolina Blues' sounds good to me, and the fact that he spurned the Wusspack makes it even that much sweeter at Christmas time!

Welcome to Blue Heaven...Mike!

Walker, Lawrence, and Stewart were all 3-star CB recruits with a Rivals rating of 5.7, which isn't significantly different than Hughes' 5.8 rating. Also, Walker was a 5.8 4-star recruit like Hughes until Rivals artibtrarily reranked him during the cycle. Rankings are just rankings so there's no guarantee Hughes will get immediate playing time, although I agree there is significant opportunity. It'll be interesting to see what a new DC can do with these guys. I certainly don't feel our problems stem from a lack of talent.

According to recruiting rankings we should have had more talent then just about every team we played this year. The problem is we didn't see that on the field. Hopefully our new DC can get the best out of our guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT