ADVERTISEMENT

NC ranked #5 in the country

link woad?

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/82847/accs-offensive-line-depth-takes-another-hit

"The flip side of that argument in the ACC, however, is North Carolina. The Tar Heels return 105 career starts, fifth-most in the nation, along with one of the ACC’s most productive quarterbacks. If that doesn’t portend a great season fromMarquise Williams, it at least gives him a real advantage that Everett Golson, Kaaya and Watson won’t have."

how does a bad o line returning give us an advantage?

They deserve it.
Yep, if you're a state school, it's dumb as hell to make your logo one letter when your state name is two words :D

The only thing that annoys me is SEC football is so huge in the Deep South that people here are starting to default to calling USCjr "Carolina." But they only do it when there's context I've noticed. They'll say South Carolina first, then later in the story, call them Carolina. Bless their hearts.

`
link woad?

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/82847/accs-offensive-line-depth-takes-another-hit

"The flip side of that argument in the ACC, however, is North Carolina. The Tar Heels return 105 career starts, fifth-most in the nation, along with one of the ACC’s most productive quarterbacks. If that doesn’t portend a great season fromMarquise Williams, it at least gives him a real advantage that Everett Golson, Kaaya and Watson won’t have."

how does a bad o line returning give us an advantage?

That wasn't my link, which was to Athlon's list of Best and Worst logos.

As to your pint - we didn't have a bad OL. We had a young, inexperienced OL with very little depth. When we had 5 healthy starters, the OL was adequate - not great by any means, but adequate. Our major issues came with injuries. Worst was at C. Bakcing up Crowley was a 265 pound walk on. And he had play major parts of 2 games and in key drives in another 3 or 4 games. Every play Crowley was out meant the opposing D was going to blast right through the center of our OL.

We also lost Turner, our most experienced and best overall, for important stretches. Our most experienced 2nd teamer Holts looked a little less than he had the year before, and he also was injured part of the season. Our most promising freshman, Spain, was injured part of the year and never got his footing right.

What will be different this year? If Crowley goes down, Hatton will step in and do the job well. Spain seems to be ready to go big and should replace Farranto as a starter, which means an experienced Ferranto comes off the bench. Cohen, who looked very good much of the time he played last year, will be as sound a 2nd team G as there is in the ACC. Sweet as a true freshman could be - by the least part of the season - as good a 4th OT as anybody in the ACC has.

This year, our OL has the depth it lacked last year.

The rest of the problems our OL had last year are sunmed up in the fact of Williams running the ball far more than anybody else. Every DC we faced had an easy task, because he knew that al he had to do was halfway contain Williams as a runner. Williams could pick apart his D with passing - he could not read coverages well enoughm nor did he have the touch - and we used our RBs sparingly.

If you want to make it as easy as possible for opposing Ds to make your OL work extra hard and seem to have huge gaps, make your offense predictable, the ball in the same hands, the same ways, game after game. By the end of the year, the entire offense will seem to be tired, mentally as well as physically.

Yep, if you're a state school, it's dumb as hell to make your logo one letter when your state name is two words :D

The only thing that annoys me is SEC football is so huge in the Deep South that people here are starting to default to calling USCjr "Carolina." But they only do it when there's context I've noticed. They'll say South Carolina first, then later in the story, call them Carolina. Bless their hearts.

Football is what it is. That very thing can be used to our advantage. Even many of the most sheltered UNC academics have a sense of branding for the university and will not want to lose any of it to South Carolina. They require Big Time football to keep it.

The rest of the problems our OL had last year are summed up in the fact of Williams running the ball far more than anybody else. Every DC we faced had an easy task, because he knew that all he had to do was halfway contain Williams as a runner.
How does this differ from a "traditional" offensive set where the handoffs always go to a running back? "All the DC has to do is halfway contain _____" is basically the defensive strategy for any team.

If anything, the read-option (or any variation of the option) makes the DC's job harder because there are multiple players who can carry the ball. Would you please stop trotting out this tired nonsense in every single thread? Sheesh.

By the way, 8 of those DCs with such an "easy task" gave up over 400 yards of offense to UNC and 4 of them gave up over 500 yards. Yup, piece of cake.

Agree everything you said, but would like to touch on this:
By the way, 8 of those DCs with such an "easy task" gave up over 400 yards of offense to UNC and 4 of them gave up over 500 yards. Yup, piece of cake.
While this is technically true, in a couple of those games, we compiled offensive stats after the game was no longer in doubt (in either direction). Liberty and Clemson and ECU all come to mind. We helped our average yardage out in those three games for sure.

Overall though, we can all agree that the OL play needs to be better. Recruiting has been strong at that position, but it hasn't shown on the field consistently. I'm hoping players like Cohen, Spain, and Veal really progress.

But yes, @WoadBlue , we get it. I actually mostly agree with your Marquise theory, but even I'm sick of reading it over and over. I enjoy your historical posts and the like, but that particular argument of yours is well documented.

The text in his OP is the link.

ok, got it.

i'd forgotten that the o line wasn't completely inept when they were healthy. they did pass block fairly well, but we need someone to open holes for our backs.
we have some very good backs that need to produce more than they have.

I like UNC logo design a lot. I like it best with the clean Carolina blue/white look. I don't care for the argyle Nike adds to the uniforms/helmets

I certainly can do without argyle. But I willl take argyle any day over navy. And navy is vastly superior to black.

With an experienced team..the early schedule looks somewhat favorable except for the opener against Ole Shiny Pants and the Gamecocks.

Missing Louisville, FSU, and Clemson from the other side as a crossover...leaves GT, VT, and Miami as the main challenge before the closer with the Pack.

GT will be tough, VT can always be a handful, and Miami has the athletes to make trouble.

The toughest games would have been nicely spaced if not for the closing three of Miami, VT, and NC State. That closing row will be the story of the season.

If they are trying to pass off black as a UNC color, I am willing to splatter them with buckshot.
Hold your fire:

Use of Carolina Blue at UNC dates from 1795, when the Dialectic (blue) and Philanthropic (white) debating societies of the university chose their representative colors. When football became a popular sport in the 1880s, the Carolina football team adopted Carolina Blue and white as the school’s colors.

Navy blue, black and metallic silver have been included as part of the secondary color palette. The secondary colors complement the primary palette. These colors may be used to provide variety and visual interest.

Navy blue is a very dark shade of the color blue. Navy is authoritative and powerful. It suggests loyalty and integrity. The color black is authoritative and powerful. Pitch is black in color and the origin of the phrase "pitch-black." Pitch created from the vast pine forests of the region was once one of North Carolina’s most important exports early in the state’s history. Silver is sleek, modern and distinguished.

Carolina Athletics Brand Identity (PDF, 1.4 MB)

If they are trying to pass off black as a UNC color, I am willing to splatter them with buckshot.

Woad, you know I love ya like a brother, but your irrational harping on Marquise and hatred of our alternate uniforms ( That the players an recruits LOVE ) boggle my mind.

Woad, you know I love ya like a brother, but your irrational harping on Marquise and hatred of our alternate uniforms ( That the players an recruits LOVE ) boggle my mind.
Building on this, I don't understand why men over a certain age (say 45) generally DESPISE the color black, especially in uniforms. This is true for other fan bases as well, not just ours. I don't get it lol. Didn't the bands y'all like back then incorporate a bunch of black...?

Building on this, I don't understand why men over a certain age (say 45) generally DESPISE the color black, especially in uniforms. This is true for other fan bases as well, not just ours. I don't get it lol. Didn't the bands y'all like back then incorporate a bunch of black...?
I love the Steelers black jerseys and the Raiders black jerseys, as well as Vandy's black jerseys. It's their color.

It is a matter of being a traditionalist...or not.

Of course, young folks tend to like the zootier uni's...Oregon comes to mind.

To me...Carolina blue over white is THE brand. I am a mossy back.

Some teams, Alabama, Penn State, Michigan tend to stay with their traditional branding.....Oregon made the flashy uniforms their brand in the absence of a deep football tradition...Maryland has been attempting to do the same.

Black can make a powerful statement, but if it is not the traditional school color.

It is a matter of being a traditionalist...or not.

Of course, young folks tend to like the zootier uni's...Oregon comes to mind.

To me...Carolina blue over white is THE brand. I am a mossy back.

Some teams, Alabama, Penn State, Michigan tend to stay with their traditional branding.....Oregon made the flashy uniforms their brand in the absence of a deep football tradition...Maryland has been attempting to do the same.

Black can make a powerful statement, but if it is not the traditional school color.
If you can't see why Alabama and Penn State are able to stick with traditional unis and North Carolina is not, then I can't help you. The reasons are pretty clear.

And oh by the way, we just returned back to traditional uni's soooooo there's that.

If you can't see why Alabama and Penn State are able to stick with traditional unis and North Carolina is not, then I can't help you. The reasons are pretty clear.

And oh by the way, we just returned back to traditional uni's soooooo there's that.

If thee is no black and navy as only a trim, I will not say anything negative about argyle.

There is that....and sure, very successful programs don't have to tart up their uni's to gain interest from fans or recruits.

A one game a year special re uni's isn't too bad...but for the season, I like the traditional colors....nothing beats the blue that is recognizably UNC over a crisp white....

As a coach once said..."Men, the helmet doesn't make you, you make the helmet".

I only dislike black when it is not one of the main uniform colors. Its fine for Lil Carolina, Wake, GT, etc. Otherwise it is stupid- strikes me as trying to make up a uniform to be intimidating.

I don't understand why men over a certain age (say 45) generally DESPISE the color black, especially in uniforms.
I only dislike black when it is not one of the main uniform colors. Its fine for Lil Carolina, Wake, GT, etc. Otherwise it is stupid- strikes me as trying to make up a uniform to be intimidating.
UNC71 is going through "The Change" a little earlier than most men.

I'm 44 yo.
i-m-40-o.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT