ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA approves several new in-game rules

Sounds an awful lot like dook may be the biggest reason for many of these, including this gem:

"...penalize players for faking fouls,"

Of course they still hav to actually have the cajones to CALL the fake "foul", which isn't likely in dook games IMHO.

" . . eliminating the five-second rule when a player is dribbling."

Interesting change here . . seems to penalize the defense. Wonder what the motivation was to change this rule . . ?

" . . eliminating the five-second rule when a player is dribbling."

Interesting change here . . seems to penalize the defense. Wonder what the motivation was to change this rule . . ?
They are trying to make the College Game more like the NBA which doesn't have defensive 5 seconds either.

with a 30 second shot clock(love that change) the 5 second defense rule is just a nuisance for the flow of the game. The fake foul rule will be so subjective that the refs(most) who already worship at the altar of the dark lord will just never make the call against dook.

It sure seems to me if we tighten up those TV timeouts/mediaTO's we could save quite a few more minutes. Sure we'll sell fewer Ford F-150's but it's for a good cause, to get a game 40 minute game in under 2 hours not the present 2 hours 20 minutes. So each team has 4 TO's per half (?) and we have media TO's for 1 minute every 4 minutes of game time...that's almost 5 more minutes per half without team TO's. Add in the odd 2 minute media every now and then and we could cut a bunch of time.

I mean, I like the college game better than the NBA game but I think that these changes are good overall. Especially for UNC. We never used our timeouts anyways - taking one away from the other coach is great. We like to push the pace, so 30 second shot clock promotes that and prevents (to some extent) teams takign the air out of the ball on us. The extra foot arc around the rim is that much farther away the rim the dookies have to be to get those charge calls. The flop rule is great (if actually enforced which I'll believe when I see). Consolidating media TO's seems like something everyone can get on board with.

Kinda bummed they didnt push the 3PT line back a little bit if they're trying to get close to the NBA - but I guess that would hurt scoring which is what they're trying to promote here. The farther that thing is back the harder it is for some mid-major to get hot in the tourney and bounce a better team.

They made the move to 4- 10 minute quarters in the womens game - anyone think thats coming to the mens game soon too, and thoughts on that?

So its a 40 minute game. Only real change is that the women will have breaks every 10 minutes at the end/beginning of quarters beside TO's and media TO's..

Finally, I have some reason to believe the ESPN games will now be shown from tipoff rather than the present system where you can predict the previous game extends into the next hour thereby missing the start. I hate it when they show the end of the previous game with one team down by 15 calling timeouts as I frantically search for other options. This to me will be the best change.

Think replays need to be limited to only final 2 minutes of the game in all cases. Don't like the idea to add a 6th foul they are discussing. Bigger arc is good. Shot clock is good. Need to extend the 3p line though.

IMHO, these changes will really help fast teams like us.

IMHO, these changes will really help fast teams like us.

Disagree.

The 30 second shot clock, in theory, will speed the game up. I've always said that I think it's harder to speed a slow tempo team up than it is to slow a fast tempo team down. So by that logic, on the surface, this change looks to benefit us. But looking closer, UNC has beaten teams in the past with their tempo. It's been an advantage for us. Not only on the court, but in the living rooms of recruits. When more teams are playing at a faster tempo which will be a natural progression, our advantage on the court diminishes and our advantage in recruits' living rooms decreases as well with other programs offering a similar style.

As far as the 5 second close guarded rule, I'm not sure whether that benefits us or not, but I hate the change. Absolutely hate it. Where's the incentive now to pressure? Teams will sag on the perimeter and force more jumpshots. If that rule was instituted in the last couple years, it would have hurt us. Moving forward, I'm hoping we're able to secure better shooters. But I'm not banking on that. Roy prefers highly athletic guys to get up and down the court over the skilled shooter...or at least it's looked that way recently.

Timeout reductions - good for us. Levels the playing field because our coaches don't call them. But that isn't the only change for timeouts. Coaches can't call them when the ball is in play. That's a little scary. It will put a premium on guys knowing what they are supposed to be doing, recognizing when something has broken down and leadership. Teams will have to have guys that feel comfortable with making that call themselves versus the coach always making that call.

Penalties for those faking fouls - total BS. Just another subjective call for refs to get wrong more than right.

Dunking in warm-ups? Uhhh, who cares?

Just another step toward NBA screwing up the college game completely. I never watch NBA. Could not care less. Almost every bad thing about the college game has come from emulating the NBA. Bruising play inside with few calls, "drives" that start with the last dribble outside the three point line with no travelling called, guards "drawing" fouls by flinging themselves into defenders. The NBA is garbage, and the more College ball seeks to emulate it the worse it becomes. I will be lucky to last a few more years with the mess college ball is becoming. I wish the NBA would crash, burn and disintegrate into ashes.

Reactions: gobblercalls
ADVERTISEMENT