ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Championship within grasp

for the #3 overall seed LAX Tar Heels

You think that at one ACC basketball was a killer? ACC lacrosse teams are seeded nationally #s 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7.

And we don't have to play in Denver against Denver in the quarterfinals (although Duke does). However if chalk wins first round, we will have to play Maryland in Annapolis. Too bad I already have a bunch of tickets and relatives visiting to go see the UNC-UVa baseball game on Saturday or I would head up an watch that, assuming we beat Colgate this Sunday.

I am surprised that ND got the 1 seed over Syracuse too. And UVa has to be pissed about playing Hopkins in the first round.

And we don't have to play in Denver against Denver in the quarterfinals (although Duke does). However if chalk wins first round, we will have to play Maryland in Annapolis. Too bad I already have a bunch of tickets and relatives visiting to go see the UNC-UVa baseball game on Saturday or I would head up an watch that, assuming we beat Colgate this Sunday.

I am surprised that ND got the 1 seed over Syracuse too. And UVa has to be pissed about playing Hopkins in the first round.

I thought #1 would go to Cuse. And I think I would rather play ND than Cuse, but the odds are good that to win it all, we have to bear both.

There should be a number of very good matches. Colgate is far from a pushover. Yale can beat Maryland. UVa-Hopkins could go to the last possession. Lyle Thompson and Albany can upset Cornell, and I hope they do. I hate the Big Ten and hate Ohio State more than any BT member, but the Buckeyes are playing Dook.

And that is just the Round of 16. All Round of 8 matches could be classics.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I want to see Denver lose. Tierney is a jerk and the advantage they get from playing NCAA quarterfinals at home is absurd. I'm ok with it once every 5 years or so, but every year is ridiculous.

If Carolina can figure out how to improve faceoff wining %, we have a very legitimate shot to win. But if we keep going at a 40-45% rate (against top tier opponents), then it will be tough to get to Philly.

Are you going on Sunday?

Reactions: Raising Heel
I want to see Denver lose. Tierney is a jerk and the advantage they get from playing NCAA quarterfinals at home is absurd. I'm ok with it once every 5 years or so, but every year is ridiculous.

If Carolina can figure out how to improve faceoff wining %, we have a very legitimate shot to win. But if we keep going at a 40-45% rate (against top tier opponents), then it will be tough to get to Philly.

Are you going on Sunday?

.... and I thought that this may have been a thread concerning our Basketball Championship chances for next years March Madness Campaign... However, Let the lacrosse team go onward and win it all...

.... and I thought that this may have been a thread concerning our Basketball Championship chances for next years March Madness Campaign... However, Let the lacrosse team go onward and win it all...
Woad put it on this board so that people would read it and it would get some attention. Nothing wrong with that at all, IMO. I really hope UNC Lacrosse can make a deep run this season.

Woad put it on this board so that people would read it and it would get some attention. Nothing wrong with that at all, IMO. I really hope UNC Lacrosse can make a deep run this season.

It's the $64k question really. How do you get basketball-onlies to give a crap about anything UNC related other than basketball?

I guess the real $64k question is whether or not those of us who do should care?

It's the $64k question really. How do you get basketball-onlies to give a crap about anything UNC related other than basketball?

I guess the real $64k question is whether or not those of us who do should care?

Thanks for keeping us informed guys.

That is indeed the question. The first one, I mean. My guess is that there is nothing that will do the trick. And it seems to me that it is not so much a UNC issue as it is an issue of basketball-onlyism. We see the same problem in the KU fan base and the IU fan base. It seems rather common for basketball fans at schools with huge hoops fan bases and great and old basketball history to become true basketball-onlys.

KU and IU mostly suck at everything else, so in a way it makes sense for their fans to spend 12 months a year focused on basketball and getting snippy with fans who try to talk about other sports. But UNC sports are extremely successful across the board.

You are a youngun and don't remember the last Tar Heels lacrosse national Champ in '91.

Are you going on Sunday?

I wish I were. But my days of travelling much distance to see live sports are over. We have a profoundly handicapped yougest child who now is too big for my wife to handle in most ways. I need to figure a way to move back to central NC so I can make some games.

16-11 dookies tightening things up a bit. May be too little too late w/under 2 mins to go

That was an unexpected result. Thought Duke had The game easily in hand in the first q.

Been watching the lax Heels since 1976. BEST game I ever saw was when we beat Hopkins for national Title at Princeton in early 80s

We have a very good team. and a lousy coach IMO This guy is just the type that gets you close but cannot CLOSE the deal . His leadership is completely lacking .

I like our chances today, although we will face Md at Annapolis if we win

Md JUST barely beat Yale which would have been a huge upset

Been watching the lax Heels since 1976. BEST game I ever saw was when we beat Hopkins for national Title at Princeton in early 80s

We have a very good team. and a lousy coach IMO This guy is just the type that gets you close but cannot CLOSE the deal . His leadership is completely lacking .

How did you feel about Dean Smith in 1981? Were you calling for his head then too? Did you think Roy was a good hire in 2003? Look how close he had gotten Kansas yet never got over the hump.

Give me one reason the Breschi's leadership is lacking, other than he, like DES in his first 21 years as HC and Roy, in his first 18 years as HC, has not yet won an NCAA tourney. Of course, Breschi is in his 7th year though. He's also a UNC alum.

Just name one thing Breschi does or doesn't do that you think he should change.

His teams lose leads and key close games ALL the time THIS year is a perfect example Notre dame ..... what is it 4 in a row vs them, Denver the last few years, dook it goes on and on. They lack the composure necessary to win TITLES . I don't blame the kids, THAT trait comes from their coach ...
he is not in the same universe as DES and Roy ,nowhere close....

Oh and BTW that is something he CANNOT change. HE needs to be changed as in hit the road jack.

His teams lose leads and key close games ALL the time THIS year is a perfect example Notre dame ..... what is it 4 in a row vs them, Denver the last few years, dook it goes on and on. They lack the composure necessary to win TITLES . I don't blame the kids, THAT trait comes from their coach ...
he is not in the same universe as DES and Roy ,nowhere close....

You pretty much said nothing, which is all too typical of you. I asked for one thing and you gave me composure. Did DES's teams have composure prior to 1982? How about Roy's teams prior to 2005? Because what you are saying, which is nothing as usual, could directly apply to either coach in addition to Breschi. But your simple ways don't allow you to see the comparison. Explain the difference between Roy pre-2005 and Breschi. Use facts- I dare you.

So UNC didn't have composure this year when they lost to the #1 team on the road? Does it matter to you that our goalie suffered a concussion and didn't tell anyone and that ND scored it's last 2 goals immediately following? Does it matter to you that our losses to Denver have been at Denver in the NCAA tournament? Of course it doesn't matter to you as evidenced by your repeated and unsubstantiated rants against our coach, who is one of the finest men on campus.

I asked for one thing that Breschi does or doesn't do. You had nothing of substance to add. Absolutely nothing. You are an ignorant blowhard. I am completely embarrassed that you have a UNC degree, because you are the least worthy poster on this board of a diploma. But then again, you rant like a spoiled little girl, so I guess your Daddy must have bought your way in.

Do us all a favor and go cheer for someone else and quit posting here. You are the worst.

Back to NCAA tournament. UVa getting demolished at home- no composure at all. That Dom Starsia must be an awful coach.

Back to NCAA tournament. UVa getting demolished at home- no composure at all. That Dom Starsia must be an awful coach.

I have watched the whole match, and I cannot bleiev what I have seen. UVA has looked like a high school team trying to play an ACC team.

@WoadBlue

You watching the games today? Been a really fun day so far.

I was on the road yesterday and saw none of the games. I intend to watch all of them today. Good thing I've gotten my wife to watch lacrosse. She rarely pays much attention when anybody else plays, but she does watch UNC matches rather closely.

For the record , Coach Starsia has FOUR national titles so perhaps he does know something about having his team play composed and under control in key situations.

I will take that.

For the record , Coach Starsia has FOUR national titles so perhaps he does know something about having his team play composed and under control in key situations.

I will take that.

How long did Starsia coach before getting his first title? How many seasons at UVa did he coach before winning his first title?

Also, has a seeded team ever by such a large margin in the first round? Yeah, UVa was very composed. Starsia is obviously a top notch motivator.

What exactly is it that you are taking? Another shot of absinthe? Because that is the only excuse for your comments.

Last edited:
well I will catch the Heels later, wish I could continue this enlightening discussion, but I gotta go watch my Nats and the braves Man oh man is that Bryce Harper hotter than a firecracker!!!!!

well I will catch the Heels later, wish I could continue this enlightening discussion, but I gotta go watch my Nats and the braves Man oh man is that Bryce Harper hotter than a firecracker!!!!!

Don't bother watching the Heels. Everyone is completely good with you pulling for another team- you really seem to have the personality and character to be a great Maryland fan and I know they would love to have your brilliant insight and wit on their side.

Also, still waiting to hear how long Starsia coached before winning first natty? You got any idea?

In case anyone wants to know who Key thinks is a terrible coach, an idiot, a loser (all his words), here is his bio:

Anyone else think he is the wrong guy to coach UNC lacrosse?

Joe Breschi’s coaching philosophy is summed up in three words • FAMILY • ACADEMICS • LACROSSE. Now in his seventh year as the head coach of North Carolina’s men’s lacrosse program, Breschi has installed that philosophy at every level of the program and its outreach to alumni, student-athletes, their families and the Chapel Hill community. On the field, in the classroom and in the community, North Carolina men’s lacrosse is achieving at the highest levels and the credit for that goes to Breschi, one of the sharpest minds in collegiate coaching circles.

Breschi, a 1990 Carolina alumnus and former assistant coach for the Tar Heels, became the 12th head lacrosse coach in Carolina history on June 18, 2008. Breschi came to Chapel Hill from Ohio State where he had served as the head coach for the previous 11 seasons. He hit the ground running and his first recruiting class, which enrolled in August 2010, was ranked No. 1 in the nation by Inside Lacrosse Magazine. His past three recruiting classes have been tabbed in the Top 5 nationally as his recruiting efforts have built a strong foundation for UNC’s future in the sport. Simply put, young men pursuing college lacrosse careers want to play for a man with the class of Joe Breschi. With those classes in place, Breschi and his staff know that they have put the Tar Heel program on sound footing talent wise and these young men have also achieved at high levels in the classroom while being community service leaders at UNC.

Carolina has advanced to the NCAA Tournament in each of his six years as the head coach. Last year’s team won 10 games, the sixth straight year UNC reached double digits in wins. Twenty-two Tar Heels were named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll in 2013-14.

The 2013 Tar Heels won the ACC regular season and tournament championships, the latter for the first time since 1996. Finishing at 13-4, UNC reached the NCAA quarterfinals and was ranked #1 in the final USILA coaches poll. Eighteen Tar Heel lacrosse players were named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll, eight to the All-ACC Academic Team for men’s lacrosse (for the second time in Breschi’s tenure) and the Tar Heel program was one of three sports on campus to win an ACC Top Six For Service award from the conference. Senior attackman Marcus Holman was UNC’s first Tewaaraton Trophy finalist since 2004 and graduated as Carolina’s all-time leading scorer. Breschi also notched his second ACC Coach of the Year honor.

In 2012, Carolina advanced to the ACC Tournament championship game for only the second time since 1996. The second half of the season was a strong one for the Tar Heels and Carolina featured one of the most improved offenses in the nation. Eighteen UNC players were named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll. In 2011, Carolina had the ACC Freshman of the Year for the second straight season while six UNC players were named All-America and three were tapped for All-ACC accolades. Fifteen Tar Heels were named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll and Carolina placed a school record eight players on the All-ACC Academic Team.

The Tar Heels have advanced to the NCAA Tournament and achieved double-digit win totals in each of his six years as the head coach. He is the first UNC coach in history to have double digit win seasons in his first six years. In 2010, Breschi led the Tar Heels to a 13-win season, matching the fourth most wins in a season in school history, and the most wins since 1993. Carolina grabbed a share of the ACC regular-season title for the first time since 2003 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals for the second straight year. Carolina opened the season with 10 straight wins, its longest winning streak since 1991. Breschi guided his team to the national lead in extra-man offense and he saw attackmen Billy Bitter and Marcus Holman be named the ACC Player of the Year and the ACC Freshman of the Year, respectively, the first time in 14 and 12 years, respectively, that UNC won those awards. Carolina’s final poll ranking of No. 4 was its best since the 1996 campaign. Eighteen Tar Heels were named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll and seven were named to the All-ACC Academic Lacrosse Team. For his efforts, Breschi was deservedly named the ACC Coach of the Year.

In his first year at Carolina in 2009, he led the Tar Heels to a 12-6 overall record and a spot in the NCAA quarterfinals. The Tar Heels won their first game in the ACC Tournament in 13 years and they fell just one goal shy of reaching their first Final Four in 16 years. Nineteen Tar Heels were named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll and 10 made the Dean’s List during the spring semester of 2009.

Breschi was an assistant coach at UNC and Brown University for seven seasons prior to his stint in Columbus with the Buckeyes and he has 24 seasons of collegiate coaching experience overall entering the 2015 campaign. Breschi has accomplished much in his life for a man a mere 46 years young.

A native of Baltimore, Md., and a 1986 alumnus of the Loyola-Blakefield School, Breschi compiled a 92-63 overall record in his 11 years at OSU along with a 34-18 regular-season Great Western Lacrosse League mark. The Buckeyes shared GWLL regular-season titles in 1999, 2003 and 2008 and won the conference championship outright in 2004. The Buckeyes had seven winning seasons in Breschi’s last eight years and made NCAA Tournament appearances in 2003, 2004 and 2008. Taking over a non-scholarship program in 1997, Breschi built the OSU program to prominence from scratch. Along the way, Ohio State had three double-figure winning seasons, going 10-3 in 1999, 12-4 in 2004 and 11-6 in 2008, when the program had its most significant wins in its history.

Immediately prior to moving to Chapel Hill, in Breschi’s 11th season at OSU, the Buckeyes enjoyed their most successful campaign. Ohio State won its first NCAA Tournament game in history by defeating No. 8-seeded Cornell 15-7 in the NCAA first round on the Big Red’s home field. The Buckeyes shared the GWLL regular-season title and reached the finals of the first-ever GWLL Tournament.

Four Buckeyes were named All-Americas in 2008, including second-team attackman Kevin Buchanan, who was also the fifth pick in the 2008 Major League Lacrosse draft. Four Buckeyes were GWLL first-team selections in 2008 and another four were second-team choices. He coached Ohio State players to 128 academic All-Big Ten honors and 217 Ohio State Scholar-Athlete awards in his 11 seasons at Columbus. Breschi was a three-time GWLL coach of the year selection in 1999, 2003 and 2004.

In his first six seasons at Carolina, he has had players earn 32 All-America citations and 15 All-ACC awards. Attackman Billy Bitter was named a first-team All-America in 2009, Carolina’s first choice since 2005. He repeated as a first-team All-America in 2010. Ryan Flanagan earned first-team All-America accolades as well in 2010. He also was named the co-winner of the Schmeisser Memorial Cup from the USILA as the nation’s top defenseman. It was UNC’s first major USILA award winner in 14 years and its first Schmeisser Cup recipient in 19 seasons. In 2012, R.G. Keenan was the first Tar Heel midfielder to be named a first-team All-America since Jude Collins and Jason Wade in 1996. In 2013, Marcus Holman was both a first-team All-America and the ACC Offensive Player of the Year.

Breschi was one of the finest lacrosse players in the history of the ACC while playing for UNC head coach Willie Scroggs from 1987-90. He was also a member of two U.S. National Teams (1994 and 1998). After graduating from Carolina in 1990, Breschi coached at his alma mater for two seasons before going to Brown University as the head assistant coach from 1993-97. Breschi was the chief assistant at UNC under Dave Klarmann in 1991 and 1992 and was part of a staff that captured ACC titles both of those seasons as well as UNC’s fourth NCAA title in 1991. The Tar Heels compiled a stellar 28-3 record during Breschi’s assistant coaching stint.

Success at North Carolina came not only as a coach for Breschi, but also as a player. He was an All-ACC selection in both 1989 and 1990 and was selected to play in the prestigious USILA North-South All-Star game in 1990. He was a first-team All-America pick on defense in 1990 and an honorable mention All-America in 1989. He was elected the sole team captain in 1990. Carolina has elected a single captain only three times since 1981 and Breschi’s senior year was one of those occurrences.

After leading the Tar Heels his senior season to the NCAA semifinals and an ACC title, Breschi was selected as UNC’s nominee for the 1990 Anthony J. McKevlin Award, given annually to the outstanding male athlete in the ACC. In 2002, Breschi was named to the prestigious ACC 50th Anniversary Men’s Lacrosse Team, honoring the Top 50 players in league history. He was a member of U.S. National Teams that played in the World Lacrosse Games in 1994 and 1998. Breschi earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in communications from Carolina in 1990.

Luke Goldstock rips one.

2-0 Heels

Goldstock now 2 goals shy of UNC record for a season.

Let's see how we respond after that goal. Colgate worked a nice long possession there.

ADVERTISEMENT