ADVERTISEMENT

New coaches aim to improve UNC defense

If there was any doubt as to why the defensive secondary looked more like a pop warner first day at practice squad, look no further than what is said in this article. Coaching, coaching, coaching. Not naming names but several D staff just didn't get it done while collecting a pretty good salary for the past couple of years. They had to be wearing ski mask or stocking caps when they picked up their checks.

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually had an average to just below average defense? This staff has their work cut out for them- I will be happy if we can get to just occasionally horrible.

I think these new coaches can take the players we have and improve our ability to stop people significantly. We had so many people out of position so many times last year and the ones who were where they were supposed to be would try to arm tackle. I have a feeling that the fundamentals will be hammered into these kids heads with a sledge hammer. Again, these guys have too much experience in coaching for there not to be big time improvement. I love the Chizik hire as well as the other guys from Nebraska.

Originally posted by UNCWayno:

I think these new coaches can take the players we have and improve our ability to stop people significantly. We had so many people out of position so many times last year and the ones who were where they were supposed to be would try to arm tackle. I have a feeling that the fundamentals will be hammered into these kids heads with a sledge hammer. Again, these guys have too much experience in coaching for there not to be big time improvement. I love the Chizik hire as well as the other guys from Nebraska.
Completely agree!.....Just listening to these guys kinda gets you fired-up about what they bring to the table....Fundamentals,Selfless,Discipline and Agressiveness are all areas where this team needed help last year....Glad these Coaches chose UNC, and agree that our defense will be completely different this coming fall!....In a good way of course!

We have too much talent to be that bad on defense. I am tired of hearing scholarship reductions as the excuse. I could understand that if the defense was wilting late but that was not the case , it was a 4 quarter effort.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

We have too much talent to be that bad on defense. I am tired of hearing scholarship reductions as the excuse. I could understand that if the defense was wilting late but that was not the case , it was a 4 quarter effort.
As someone who often mentions the scholarship reductions, I agree. There was no excuse for being as bad as we were. Even with limited personnel, we still had more 3 and 4-star talent on our roster than probably half of the 125 or so teams in FBS. At worst, we should have been a middle-of-the-heap team. Instead, we ranked 100th or worse nationally and dead last in the ACC in almost every defensive metric.

I believe with a Top 45 defense nationally we have a really good shot to be in the ACC title game.

aim to improve UNC defense?
there aren't any coaches who could make it worse.

repetition until they have one play down pat.
reminds me of a dean smith practice where popson couldn't get the play correct.
dean blew the whistle and said dave we'd all like to finish practice on a positive note, is there one play in the playbook that you know that we could run.

LMFAO...I had a friend who told me Popson was a party animal and couldn't stay out of the bars. If I remember correctly he was supposed to be a superstar and it just never happened.

I am excited for the changes that are being made. I am hopeful that changes will yield drastic improvements.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT