ADVERTISEMENT

New DL coach?

Originally posted by UNCWayno:

Thanks Woad. Good to see some positive pub for the Heels.
We need it. Now I'd like to see Andrea Adelson write something about Chizik and Papuchis being hired to remake the UNC D.

The Ron Burton possibilioty is very intriguing. I think Chizik would like to have an alum on the D staff. And Burton has done a very good job in only a couple of years at Mich St, which under Pat Narduzzi became one of the nation;s top Ds. Burton improved production by the DL.

And I love that Burton spent a decade at Air Force. He had to master 'coaching 'em up' at Air Force, rather than relying on recruiting a string of 4* and 5* players.

I love that Fedora has realized that he has to do something on D in order to turn the corner with this program and isn't afraid to go after whoever he has to in order to see it happen. That and that SOMEONE in the athletic department has finally grown a pair and decided football IS important and IS worthy of more than a passing glance once in a while.

I certainly hope we can continue to fill the D with quality people to get things going in the right direction. I said it before - I remember all too well when UNC had that lock down defense that teams feared. If we can get anywhere close to that level again I think that will bode very well for us in the future.

I also think that someone on the OFFENSIVE side has to come up with something more than "QB right" and "QB left". I mean with the speed and talent we have on that side of the ball there is NO reason we shouldn't be able to keep defenses guessing. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Marquise was able to mature and do the things he did, but they have to spread it around and whoever ends up in the QB spot next year has to be able to pass the dang ball consistently.

All in all, this is very good news indeed for those of us who love watching UNC play on Saturdays!

Originally posted by Littlejon:

...someone on the OFFENSIVE side has to come up with something more than "QB right" and "QB left". I mean with the speed and talent we have on that side of the ball there is NO reason we shouldn't be able to keep defenses guessing. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Marquise was able to mature and do the things he did, but they have to spread it around and whoever ends up in the QB spot next year has to be able to pass the dang ball consistently.
i agree

The more I think about this, the more I really hope Burton returns to Chapel Hill. He played for Crum and was a grad assistant under Mack. I would love to have a coach who brings ties to winning UNC football from the last century. He played in 3 bowls at UNC, and was a UNC grad assistant for 2 bowls.

I think his time at Air Force could be exactly what we need, because coaches there must work to maximize potential - they are not signing any 4*s. I also like that he has spent a couple of years under Pat Narduzzi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT