ADVERTISEMENT

New unis this fall??

Originally posted by gteeitup:

so, this business about carolina creating its own brand in football was just more bs.
The whine and cheese'ers won't let us create our own brand in football. They insist we continue with the same "brand" and look that has yielded us exactly nothing in ways of championships for 110 years, and zero ACC Championships in 35 years. Yeahhhhh, tons of tradition there!

This post was edited on 4/15 9:27 AM by TarHeelNation11

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

The new uniforms are going to blow. They're just....all blue. It's boring as crap.
Y'all need to settle down. No one has suggested that the uniform is going to be solid blue. You guys are jumping to conclusions based on how they've dressed some random Nike model dude. LOL. More than likely, we'll mix white pants with blue jerseys or vice versa.

And you know what? I think I like the argyle. It's not prominent at all. It's simply an understated design feature that is unique to UNC and is a clever bit of branding IMO.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Y'all need to settle down.
NEVER!! I'M GOING TO HAVE MY VOICE HEARD, RAISING HEEL!!!
laugh.r191677.gif

You guys are jumping to conclusions based on how they've dressed some random Nike model dude. LOL.
jumping to conclusions is my specialty!

jump.jpg

so, this business about carolina creating its own brand in football was just more bs.
The whine and cheese'ers won't let us create our own brand in football. They insist we continue with the same "brand" and look that has yielded us exactly nothing in ways of championships for 110 years, and zero ACC Championships in 35 years. Yeahhhhh, tons of tradition there!

This post was edited on 4/15 9:27 AM by TarHeelNation11
Please tell me exactly how a "brand" helps you win football games? Smart, athletic players with good schemes and good coaching win football games. This whole "branding" crap is the very thing that is ruining college football. Athletic departments are too concerned with their brand than they are with...you know...actual football games. "Smart, fast, physical", Red Bull, Oregon-like uniforms, the Carolina Way...all crap. Just teach football. Bear Bryant is literally rolling over in his grave.

With that said, some of us old "fuddy duddies" had to deal with the Arena football league wear that our team has sported over the past few years. I'm sure you can come to grips with a more traditional, conservative look that actually uses our school colors and that borrows a tradition of our great basketball program.

I personally could do without the argyle. But it does look minimal. And if we're going to have "decorations" on football uniforms, it might as well be something tasteful. I still don't understand why we can't subscribe to the "less is more" philosophy. All white or all light blue with no names on jerseys. That looks like football.

I greatly anticipate future threads that will inevitably be posted blaming the uniforms for losing a recruit.

gsd, i'm with you...i can't stand argyle though...it has no business being on any athletic uniform.

everything else you said, i'm in agreement.

and i don't want to borrow from any sport already on campus or around the country...hell, even the video talks about color being specific, not design or "argyle".

Argyles belong on formal wear, on sweaters, on nice Polo pull-overs. Not on athletic uniforms.
Says who? Man, I had no idea people were so seriously uptight about argyle.

And you know what? I don't care if it's 95 degrees in Charlotte when we play South Carolina. I'm gonna wear an argyle sweater just to piss you guys off.
laugh.r191677.gif

Reactions: JP4UNC
Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

Please tell me exactly how a "brand" helps you win football games? Smart, athletic players with good schemes and good coaching win football games.
Your brand doesn't directly help you win football games (I never claimed it did), and yes you are right that smart, athletic players with good schemes and coaching win football games.

However, just like a mission statement, your brand is what defines you and encapsulate what you are about. Does a logo/color scheme directly help a business increase its sales, or broaden its customer base, or widen the scope of its services provided? No, it doesn't. But you know as well as I do....what's one of the first things a company does when it decided to go a different direction and shake things up? Yep, it updates (or completely re-does) its logo/colors/look, in addition to changing personnel/business plan/strategy, etc.

Carolina Football needed/needs a complete overhaul in every facet (offensive and defensive schemes, coaches, recruiting strategy, commitment to academics [i.e., keeping players eligible], etc.) and the re-branding was an attempt to represent that overhaul and provide a new and exciting look/feel -- a new dawn of Carolina Football, if you will. But whatever, let's go to some boring, boring look to appease the whiners.

the re-branding was an attempt to represent that overhaul and provide a new and exciting look/feel
Whoa. Who said anything about rebranding? The football team changes uniform designs every few years. This is nothing more than a regular update, not an attempt at rebranding. Or maybe I missed that part somewhere?

it has no business being on any athletic uniform.

and i don't want to borrow from any sport already on campus or around the country...hell, even the video talks about color being specific, not design or "argyle".
First off, Dean Smith and Michael Jordan disagree with you.

Also, several of the university's other athletic teams have already borrowed the pattern. Why is it suddenly an issue? And why should football be any different?

Reactions: JP4UNC
the re-branding was an attempt to represent that overhaul and provide a new and exciting look/feel
Whoa. Who said anything about rebranding? The football team changes uniform designs every few years. This is nothing more than a regular update, not an attempt at rebranding. Or maybe I missed that part somewhere?
Fedora's uniforms were certainly an attempt to re-tool the look of Carolina Football. The black, the occasional chrome helmets, the white helmets, the black logos. It was an attempt to create a new look. To me, that's re-branding.

These new uniforms coming out on 4/20 aren't a re-branding IMO. It's a return back to our "traditional" style. A revert.

But whatever, let's go to some boring, boring look to appease the whiners.
Oh...you mean to appease the ones that financially support the "brand"? I agree, weird business decision.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Ok. I'm alright with that. They were basketball people, not football people.

Also, several of the university's other athletic teams have already borrowed the pattern. Why is it suddenly an issue? And why should football be any different?
I've never liked it, regardless of sport. But it's a bigger issue with football because football is the ultimate man's sport, IMO. And argyle just doesn't have a place on a football uniform. Just my opinion. Plus, to me, argyle on the basketball uniforms has always represented the one aspect I hate most about Carolina: its attempt to portray itself as elitist and better than everyone else.

Plus the design was created by a carpetbagger. So there's that.

Fedora's uniforms were certainly an attempt to re-tool the look of Carolina Football. The black, the occasional chrome helmets, the white helmets, the black logos. It was an attempt to create a new look. To me, that's re-branding.

These new uniforms coming out on 4/20 aren't a re-branding IMO. It's a return back to our "traditional" style. A revert.
If I were to agree that Fedora's new look was a "re-branding", wouldn't that be evidence of the re-branding being a failure? Because not only did the program not make major improvement, but the new uniforms had a lot of pushback. I heard and saw more negative feelings regarding the new look uniforms than I did positive. So wouldn't the smart thing for any business to do when they see a failure in their attempt at re-branding be to go back to what your supporters want?

When New Coke came out, it failed. So what did Coke do? They brought back old Coke. It worked.

So you're disappointed because you expected something different, but also something that went away from our traditional look? Well I don't know what to tell you, so I'll stop antagonizing everyone now. Because at the end of the day, my care-meter on the uniform issue is about a 2 on a scale to 10. It just doesn't matter. Obviously I'm in the minority since once again we have a multiple-page thread debating sports fashions (including ironic finger-pointing about metrosexuality....).

But whatever, let's go to some boring, boring look to appease the whiners.
Oh...you mean to appease the ones that financially support the "brand"? I agree, weird business decision.
rolleyes.r191677.gif
Not all donors are old, just FYI. And right now, I don't feel appeased. Difference is, I will have my say once the uniforms come out, then get over it. I won't whine about it, publicly, ad nauseam until I force a change.

Let's ask Marcus Paige what he thinks. He knows everything. All Carolina student-athletes should be just like him.

Alexander Julian was born and raised in Chapel Hill. Also, the argyle pattern originated in the Scottish Highlands. Those folks are pretty badass so I don't see the problem.

Man,...I am going to have some fun this fall with this topic. It is literally eating some of y'all alive. Now I know how much fun y'all were having over the last few years when Woad, 71-00 and I bitched and moaned about the uniforms. I am going to ride this pony for everything she is worth. I may even reach out to Gentleman's Quarterly to see if they'll do a piece on the OOTB fashion discussions.

And God help some of y'all if we win 10 games this year wearing these snazzy outfits.

roll.r191677.gif

Raising,

Here's why I'm most disappointed by all of this, and I know this is something you can relate to. The Carolina Football program doesn't get enough attention/support, IMO, with respect to how big our fanbase and alumni pool is. It just doesn't. These boards reflect that. Blitz and Blue Heaven can get absolutely dead a lot of the time, whereas the basketball boards always have activity. Carolina Football is always trying to capture more attention.

We can't keep a football-centric thread alive for more than 30 posts on this board, ever. We barely can during actual football season. And yet threads slamming the uniforms are the ONLY ones that people come out of the woodwork to post about and have a passionate discussion about. That pisses me off. All y'all that don't closely follow football claim this is the case because we don't win enough. And so Fedora comes in and tries to do a ton of stuff to build excitement and foster support for the program (not just uniforms by the way.....we've also used social media WAY more than ever before, for example), and all y'all do is complain about the style of offense and the uniforms. Just annoys me and rubs me the wrong way. It's like you're content to ignore or casually follow football when we aren't good, but if we change our style of play or deviate our uniforms, that's like the worst thing in the GD world.

Would love to have a thread go to a second page that's about FOOTBALL. Not uniforms (yes I know I've kept this thread going, but I have ignored plenty that have gone to 2 pages, also).

I just sent Fedora an email and asked him if the players could also don an ascot with their uniforms if they choose. Anxiously awaiting his reply.

Alexander Julian was born and raised in Chapel Hill. Also, the argyle pattern originated in the Scottish Highlands. Those folks are pretty badass so I don't see the problem.
I stand corrected on the Julian part....could've sworn I read he was from Connecticut.
ashamed0001.r191677.gif

I'm familiar with where argyle comes from though. You do know my last name don't you? Lol. Like I said, I like argyle......on formal wear!! I own argyle clothing! I just don't want it on football uniforms.

And yet threads slamming the uniforms are the ONLY ones that people come out of the woodwork to post about and have a passionate discussion about. That pisses me off. All y'all that don't closely follow football claim this is the case because we don't win enough.
Ok,...then please tell me, Mr. I-follow-football-more-than-everybody-else; what exactly is it that is holding the fanbase back from supporting football at the level in which we support basketball. If it's not the success or lack thereof, then you should be able to tell us because you're so football savvy. C'mon, please share with us "casual" fans. Please!

By the way, I thought you said you hated the "holier-than-thou" mentality of many in our fanbase yet your condescending tone is...interesting.

We can't keep a football-centric thread alive for more than 30 posts on this board, ever.
I don't know what to tell you. Post something interesting.

In 1986, I bought a pair of black Alexander Julian loafers (no tassles) at Julian's. I was still wearing those shoes in 2004 when a puppy got one and tore it up. I also had Alexander Julian clothes that lasted a long time that I liked - timeless look.

But I don't care for the argyle, especially compared to the old basketball uniforms.

As I have said to THN, I will take argyle any day over navy or black uniforms.

I know some fans think that if would be a nice branding touch to use argyle in the end zone. I don;t see it, but if that id what it takes to end all use of black on uniforms and reduce navy to trim only, I will make myself like the argyle end zone.

And yet threads slamming the uniforms are the ONLY ones that people come out of the woodwork to post about and have a passionate discussion about. That pisses me off. All y'all that don't closely follow football claim this is the case because we don't win enough.
Ok,...then please tell me, Mr. I-follow-football-more-than-everybody-else; what exactly is it that is holding the fanbase back from supporting football at the level in which we support basketball. If it's not the success or lack thereof, then you should be able to tell us because you're so football savvy. C'mon, please share with us "casual" fans. Please!

By the way, I thought you said you hated the "holier-than-thou" mentality of many in our fanbase yet your condescending tone is...interesting.

We can't keep a football-centric thread alive for more than 30 posts on this board, ever.
I don't know what to tell you. Post something interesting.
laugh.r191677.gif
Sorry if I come off as condescending in this thread. It's just a telling contrast that football-related threads die quickly and only uniform threads live to a second page.

And I do post interesting things all the time :p

what exactly is it that is holding the fanbase back from supporting football at the level in which we support basketball. If it's not the success or lack thereof, then you should be able to tell us because you're so football savvy. C'mon, please share with us "casual" fans. Please!
I think you're missing his point, although he probably could've stated it better. No one is debating whether success breeds more fans, because that's obviously the case. He's simply baffled (as am I) why -- of all the things we could talk about -- uniform changes are always the most passionately discussed.

It's as if our lack of success means that uniforms are the only thing worth discussing. I personally find just about every other topic more interesting than uniforms. (My involvement in those threads is typically sparked by my level of disbelief about how passionately people feel about the subject.) We could talk recruiting, player development, depth charts, schemes, coaching, scheduling, matchups, statistics, venues, etc. but most of those threads die on the vine.

I just don't get people's obsession with uniforms, but maybe it's me who's the weirdo.

okay, so jordan and dean smith had less than good taste in athletic uniform design...nobody is perfect, obviously.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
Originally posted by uncboy10:
Would be cool to see the all white combo come back. That was schweet
I love the Carolina Blue helmets with large interlocking white NC. That helmet is simply stunning. It stands out and demands to be seen and admired. I would make it permanent - with no navy trim whatsoever.

I would want the team to wear all Carolina Blue - helmets, jerseys, pants - more than it wears white pants with Carolina Blue jerseys. With white jeresys, I would want to wear Carolina Blue pants at least half the time.

I cannot get enough of Carolina Blue. It is the one thing we should market ceaselessly.

And as I have said since the NCAA changed its rule - we should play MooU every year with both teams wearing Home colors.
I agree 110%. LOVE Carolina Blue. It's been my favorite color since the day I was born.

That being said they have to wear white uniforms for half of the games regardles. The all-white storm trooper uni and maybe the navy pants with the chrome carolina blue helmet for one game apiece doesn't really deprive us of much Carolina Blue. Carolina Blue helmet 11 out of 12 games, but one of them is chrome (prob against dook/moo). Also you get Carolina Blue pants 4/6 times with white jerseys.

Tell me you wouldn't take that over black/navy numbers and trim every week...

5 star thread. Man, I'm sorry I had to actually work this morning.

what exactly is it that is holding the fanbase back from supporting football at the level in which we support basketball. If it's not the success or lack thereof, then you should be able to tell us because you're so football savvy. C'mon, please share with us "casual" fans. Please!
I think you're missing his point, although he probably could've stated it better. No one is debating whether success breeds more fans, because that's obviously the case. He's simply baffled (as am I) why -- of all the things we could talk about -- uniform changes are always the most passionately discussed.

It's as if our lack of success means that uniforms are the only thing worth discussing. I personally find just about every other topic more interesting than uniforms. (My involvement in those threads is typically sparked by my level of disbelief about how passionately people feel about the subject.) We could talk recruiting, player development, depth charts, schemes, coaching, scheduling, matchups, statistics, venues, etc. but most of those threads die on the vine.

I just don't get people's obsession with uniforms, but maybe it's me who's the weirdo.
Recruiting- no thanks
Player development- there was one?
Depth charts- aren't out yet, but we haven't had depth in years anyways
Schemes- I think we kick this one around on occasion. These are good.
Coaching- uhhh- do you really want to do that again?
Scheduling- See ECU thread
Matchups- it's the offseason
Statistics- I didn't realize you liked statistics. Maybe you should start a stats thread of some sort.
Venues- sure. Kenan is pretty damn fine, but the tailgating sucks.

I enjoy these uniform threads because it is so clear who is right and wrong. Hell, even Fedora has thrown in the visor (or towel) on this one.

I am missing the point. So now we're not only chastising people for their lack of standing and hollering at games but also for their lack of interest in posting on UNC football message boards? Dude, it's a numbers thing. You can't just make UNC football fans appear out of thin air.
Many people don't follow football recruiting. I know I don't. It's too time consuming and I don't feel like directing that much effort towards it.

Player development? I don't know enough about most positions to have a legit discussion. I can opine, and I do. But I think that's the case with many posters here.

Depth charts? Ok, start a thread on depth charts and let's see if you're right.

Schemes? Again, I'm no football savant. I leave the coaching to the coaches most of the time.

Scheduling? If I recall, we've had plenty of discussion on this one even when the thread titles are misleading (subtle poke at THN11).

Matchups? Again, I think there's good discussion on that topic.

Stats? You have that covered, bro.

Venues? How much can you talk about a building? Is it interesting to you where each venue puts the bathrooms and concessions?

To answer the inevitable question of "people on the basketball board discuss these topics, why can't we generate the same discussion here?" - yes, more discussion happens on the basketball board. There are more people that post there. So we're right back to where we started. There are more fans of the basketball program than there are of the football program. I don't think that's news to anyone. And I think it's 100% attributed to success. If our football program had the history of Bama and our basketball program had the history of Clemson, then we'd see much greater activity on the football board and less on the basketball board. That seems pretty basic.

When it comes to uniforms, let me ask you this? How much discussion was there on uniforms before Fedora tried to go all nouveaux? I know the answer because I've been posting here for a long time. The answer is ZERO. Fedora caused the uniform discussions to happen by doing something radical. If he would have left shit alone, there would have never been uniform discussions. No one was fixated on the uniforms before Fedora made the changes. That should be telling. And I can promise you that during the Doh years, when the basketball team changed to that horrid interlocking NC on the chest, there was plenty of discussion bemoaning the changes. But the basketball program understood quickly "why mess with a good thing?" And then they went back to the traditional uniform. Hopefully Fedora and the staff have realized the error of their ways.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
I enjoy these uniform threads because it is so clear who is right and wrong.
Funny, but you've probably hit on the essence of it. While some folks may not be able to carry on a discussion about schemes or recruiting, everyone seems to have an opinion about uniforms. And since it's a purely subjective topic, you end up with opinions on exact opposite ends of the spectrum. Can't fight human nature. I give up.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
Statistics- I didn't realize you liked statistics. Maybe you should start a stats thread of some sort.
I have a bag of something for you to eat.

ADVERTISEMENT