ADVERTISEMENT

NOT in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

strummingram

Hall of Famer
Oct 1, 2010
The thread about artists who died too soon got me thinking (uh oh).

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction will be broadcast in a few days. Since Stevie Ray Vaughan came up in the other thread, I'm pleased to report that SRV & Double Trouble are #1 on this year's list of inductees. Also getting in are:

Ringo Starr (already in with The Beatles)
Joan Jett
Green Day
Lou Reed (already in with Velvet Underground)
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Bill Withers
the "5" Royales

These are all fine artists and musicians and some are overdue (SRV for one). But, Green Day and Joan Jett? Ringo is already in! There are some incredible acts that are passed-over year after year.

I went looking for those who are NOT in the hall and even found a website solely devoted to those who should be:

Not In The Hall.com

Some of the more prominent acts/bands that are not in there are as follows:

Steve Miller Band (a travesty he is not in there)
Chicago
Jethro Tull
Yes
The Moody Blues
Deep Purple
The Cars
The Doobie Brothers
Cheap Trick
Little Feat
Journey
Bad Company
Dire Straits
Pat Benatar
Steppenwolf
ELO

And, that's just me cherry-picking! In fact, the list on that site that are missing from the actual Hall are, in many cases, more influential and timeless as the ones IN the thing!

And, there are some acts already in the actual Hall that (to me) have no business in there- The Beastie Boys??? No offense to their fans, but when I see true Rock n Roll acts being passed-over for acts like that? I lose total respect for it. I admired Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols boycotting their induction.

Reactions: Raising Heel
The beastie boys were revolutionary for their time. They crossed rock and hip hop boundaries. I can definitely see why thy are in there

The beastie boys were revolutionary for their time. They crossed rock and hip hop boundaries. I can definitely see why thy are in there

Yeah,but what did they play? Scratching records? For once I agree with Strum on something,Roc-n Roll means Rock-n-roll.If the HOF is not gonna honor that then they need to cal it Pop Hall Of Fame.Hip Hop And Rap is NOT ROCK.

Yeah,but what did they play? Scratching records? For once I agree with Strum on something,Roc-n Roll means Rock-n-roll.If the HOF is not gonna honor that then they need to cal it Pop Hall Of Fame.Hip Hop And Rap is NOT ROCK.

Actually, the Beasties did play instruments on their later albums. Mike D played drums, MCA played bass and Ad Rock played guitar. Many people don't recognize how talented and creative they were. In fact, I'd put their influence up against most anyone who is in the HOF.

The notion that the Beasties shouldn't be in the HOF is ludicrous.

Reactions: Grayhead
,Roc-n Roll means Rock-n-roll.If the HOF is not gonna honor that then they need to cal it Pop Hall Of Fame.Hip Hop And Rap is NOT ROCK.

The Beach Boys
Otis Redding
Bobby Darin
The Platters
Bob Marley
Rod Stewart
Al Green
The Bee Gees
Jackson 5
Lloyd Price
James Taylor
The O'Jays
ABBA
Neil Diamond

That's just a small list of those in the HOF whose music I would not categorize as "rock-n-roll".

The Beach Boys
Otis Redding
Bobby Darin
The Platters
Bob Marley
Rod Stewart
Al Green
The Bee Gees
Jackson 5
Lloyd Price
James Taylor
The O'Jays
ABBA
Neil Diamond

That's just a small list of those in the HOF whose music I would not categorize as "rock-n-roll".
agreed...while I like most of those artists music, that's not really R-N-R to me either. Maybe they need separate wings in the HOF for Pop, R&B, Rap, etc?

sure thing... what'cha got for me? I'll listen to pretty much anything (unless it's straight-up twangy country music)
Well, I'm glad my first rec of The Devil Makes Three's Do Wrong Right was a success. Hopefully I can keep the momentum rolling. I'm gonna take you outside your comfort zone a bit and throw you a modern, current artist.

Band is called Manchester Orchestra. They're from here (Atlanta) which is a big deal around here because alternative rock bands don't usually hail from here. Their frontman, Andy Hull, is really talented as a singer and a songwriter, IMO. I could give you any of their albums, but the one I want to start you out on is:

tumblr_lklk7y42ok1qahmli.jpg

This isn't my favorite MO album (it's still excellent though), but I think it's the best album to use to introduce yourself to the band. They wrote this album to intentionally make each song have its own unique pallet and feel, which is pretty obvious upon listening. Can't wait to see what you think, whether good or bad.

The Beach Boys
Otis Redding
Bobby Darin
The Platters
Bob Marley
Rod Stewart
Al Green
The Bee Gees
Jackson 5
Lloyd Price
James Taylor
The O'Jays
ABBA
Neil Diamond

The Beach Boys and Rod Stewart are definitely Rock n Roll. Bobby Darin, in his prime, was absolutely considered Rock n Roll.

I guess the term Pop Music is used to refer to many of those. Neil Diamond is more Rock n Roll than Cat Stevens and he got in last year. The different parameters of defining Rock, Pop, Soul, R'n'B, Metal, Hard Rock, etc. are all pretty subjective. Most of the artists would prefer there be less labeling and more appreciation of what appeals to the senses.

I was trying to plead a case for artists that have been around long before a band like Green Day, who have had as much of an impact (or, in many cases far more in terms of overall success), but they get passed-over. Apparently, the artist has to have what amounts to lobbyists pleading their viability. How sad is that? You make a huge mark on music culture and then 20-30 years later you need someone to plead your case to a group of critics, that have no ability whatsoever to create music themselves, to allow you to be revered with contemporaries. And, sell seats at a table for $2500 a piece. As Johnny Rotten said of the Hall of Fame Museum: "It's more like a MAUSOLEUM!"

Actually, the Beasties did play instruments on their later albums. Mike D played drums, MCA played bass and Ad Rock played guitar. Many people don't recognize how talented and creative they were. In fact, I'd put their influence up against most anyone who is in the HOF.

The notion that the Beasties shouldn't be in the HOF is ludicrous.

In your opinion,It's a disgrace the Moodies and Jeff Lynne/ELO hasn't been selected,they have influenced more and a lot damn longer....HOH is an effing joke.

It should be called "The Music Hall of Fame" and it should inc
In your opinion,It's a disgrace the Moodies and Jeff Lynne/ELO hasn't been selected,they have influenced more and a lot damn longer....HOH is an effing joke.

I'm not arguing against anyone. I'm just saying that the Beastie Boys are as deserving as any band in the last 30 years.

Reactions: Grayhead
INXS should be in.

I guess I'm representing the 80s alternative movement, but The Cure should also be in, and if not The Smiths, maybe Morrissey should be in.

Amazing that certain bands and artists are in and there are many head scratchers that aren't.

- AJ

cheap trick should just go on agt...seriously, an influential band like that to not be in the rrhof is ridiculous.

i could also argue for the moody blues and deep purple even though i wasn't a fan.

i'm also a huge kiss fan so you can imagine how i feel about that committee...

Longevity should matter, record sold should, too. Stats, like in sports, should count. You can easily make a case for KISS.

- AJ

I
cheap trick should just go on agt...seriously, an influential band like that to not be in the rrhof is ridiculous.

i could also argue for the moody blues and deep purple even though i wasn't a fan.

i'm also a huge kiss fan so you can imagine how i feel about that committee...
I believe KISS was inducted to the HOF last year.

I'm actually expecting a decent performance for Stevie's induction. Doyle Bramhall II and Double Trouble will be onstage.

One thing I've found to be consistent with those Hall induction performances; When the artist is still alive and performs, it's usually a disappointment. That's one reason I don't watch it frequently anymore. Especially now when the real classic acts are probably in their 70's. Watching Hall and Oates last year was painful. I was relieved that KISS didn't perform. That would have been tragic. I loved KISS when I was about 10 or 12, and still listen to the original 4's music. When the inductee is absent due to health reasons, or dead, their performance segment is usually better because what you see is a fresher version. You don't see the old guy or girl (or combination) up there still trying to be 27 years old. Depending on what their body of work consisted of, it can be a potential failure. Refer to You Tube for some prime examples of "Oops, that was a mistake."

When Nirvana performed last year, they had guest vocalists. That was cool, and I've never been a big Nirvana fan. Cobain's suicide probably helped get them in there. That is sort of what was alluded to in the "Gone Too Soon" thread. The death and unexpected absence creates a future mystique that does more for the legacy of the music than the band's actual contributions on tape and live.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
The death... creates a future mystique that does more for the legacy of the music... .

Agreed. Hendrix and Jim Morrison both died very young (27), while they were in the prime of their most creative musical contributions. Had they lived, they would likely be looked at as the Stones are now. Don't get me wrong - I love the Stones - but their prime was mid-60's to mid-70's, and haven't put out an album that I really enjoy from start-to-finish since Tattoo You in 1981.

Agreed. Hendrix and Jim Morrison both died very young (27), while they were in the prime of their most creative musical contributions. Had they lived, they would likely be looked at as the Stones are now. Don't get me wrong - I love the Stones - but their prime was mid-60's to mid-70's, and haven't put out an album that I really enjoy from start-to-finish since Tattoo You in 1981.

I agree. And, you know, Tattoo You would have been considered, by some, as "over the hill/past their prime" Stones. I was somewhat fortunate to have cousins that were about 7 years older than me and they'd go to concerts in Richmond and Hampton, VA and my mom and dad were okay with me tagging-along. I saw the Stones in Hampton, VA and parts of that show wound-up in "Let's Spend The Night Together." At any rate, that made them real to me, but no screaming girls in the seats that drowned-out the instruments. I have friends who saw the original Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Stones with Mick Taylor or Brian Jones, The Who, etc. and they have no interest in seeing the perpetual line-up changes just to sell tickets now. But, those acts still sell tickets.

I recently saw where Jefferson Starship is playing at some local festival over in nearby Seneca, SC. Paul Kantner is the only original member. I bet the Airplane was awesome at Monterey Pop and Woodstock. Can you imagine how pathetic this once-mighty act must be in order to to play at some hole-in-the-wall, rural south spring fest nearly 50 years later?

Speaking of KISS and Nirvana, I think they are two of the most overrated bands of all-time. Sorry. I just do. Not only do I not like either very much, I think their influence is greatly exaggerated.

Speaking of KISS and Nirvana, I think they are two of the most overrated bands of all-time. Sorry. I just do. Not only do I not like either very much, I think their influence is greatly exaggerated.

If you go into any Guitar Center in America (or musical instrument store where guitars are sold), you'll probably hear those first chords in Smells Like Teen Spirit attempting to be coaxed out of a guitar by a budding young player as much as you will any classic rock riff. It's up there with Iron Man and Smoke On The Water. I think Nirvana personified that whole Grunge/Seattle musical trend, more than Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Alice In Chains (although I like all 3 of those bands). I rarely, if ever, hear a KISS song being played, however.

KISS wasn't so much just about the music; it was the makeup and the costumes and the theatrics on stage, all rolled up with the type of risqué lyrics that teenage boys had on their minds anyway; not to mention some pretty catchy riffs. Admittedly, their music wasn't all that deep but it sure as hell was fun when I was 12-13 years old and they were hitting it big in the mid-70s. Also, the fact that our parents thought they were scary and evil, and you can see why they were so influential to many during that time.
When the 80's hit (and Ace & Peter left) the thrill was gone for me. But if you grew up during those years, I'm sure you'll feel like me that KISS definitely deserves to be in the HOF.

If you go into any Guitar Center in America (or musical instrument store where guitars are sold), you'll probably hear those first chords in Smells Like Teen Spirit attempting to be coaxed out of a guitar by a budding young player as much as you will any classic rock riff. It's up there with Iron Man and Smoke On The Water. I think Nirvana personified that whole Grunge/Seattle musical trend, more than Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Alice In Chains (although I like all 3 of those bands). I rarely, if ever, hear a KISS song being played, however.

Nirvana launched that scene, but Pearl Jam was a real band that had a really good run. More interesting music that had depth. They belong.

Nirvana influenced but they didn't produce enough. You could listen to all of their good songs in less than an hour. Not sure that's Hall worthy.

- AJ

It should be called "The Music Hall of Fame" and it should inc

I'm not arguing against anyone. I'm just saying that the Beastie Boys are as deserving as any band in the last 30 years.

And I disagree,Jeff Lynne alone has influenced more with his recording,writing and producing big name artists.

And I disagree,Jeff Lynne alone has influenced more with his recording,writing and producing big name artists.

You disagree with what? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're railing against. Fine put Jeff Lynne in. That doesn't mean you have to take someone out, least of all the Beastie Boys, a legendary and groundbreaking band.

You disagree with what? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're railing against. Fine put Jeff Lynne in. That doesn't mean you have to take someone out, least of all the Beastie Boys, a legendary and groundbreaking band.

All I'm saying is that the ones I have mentioned have been ignored far longer than Beastie boys became relevant.It's a joke what the HOH has inducted above the likes of Moody Blues,ELO,Deep Purple and so on.That's why I think they should change the name because rap,hip hop is NOT ROCK N ROLL. It's Popular music and nothing more.... I never said take beasties boys out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT