ADVERTISEMENT

Now It's Just "Marriage"

Heels in Space

All-American
Aug 13, 2009
SCOTUS holds that the right of same-sex couples to marry is fundamentally guaranteed by the Constitution.

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed."

Don't care one way or another. Good for gay people, I guess. But I find it comical that anyone would look to the federal government for validation.

What I find nauseating is the plethora of facebook posts I'm seeing that say, "So happy about the Supreme Court's decision but still a long way to go". Really? What else needs to happen? Sheesh...What else are people looking for?

Reactions: Old_School59
I don't think they were looking for validation. I think they were looking for equal treatment under the law, to which every citizen in this country is entitled. Now they have it.

That's not how I interpreted some interviews I heard. I was listening to radio this morning and they played a few audio clips of people involved in the movement and a couple stated "now my marriage is as good as anyone else's." That sounds to me that they needed the fed govt to "validate" their marriage.

But it's whatever. Again, I have no problem with gays enjoying the same benefits my wife and I enjoy in a traditional marriage. Honestly, I just want them to STFU about it. You won. It's over. Please stop talking about it.

In order for it to become a socially acceptable situation, where people don't even notice, then I think I'd want to just assimilate into what is considered natural, normal society and let people adjust.

Don't care one way or another.
Honestly, I just want them to STFU about it.
You obviously DO care, because every time the subject comes up you complain about having to hear about it.

Up until the time of this ruling, there had been about 30 states whose legislatures had at some point adopted a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages or unions. That's 30 states who had told a segment of their law-abiding, tax-paying citizenry that they weren't entitled to the same legal rights as everyone else. Think about that for a second.

It has taken years of protests, marches, lobbying, and lawsuits to achieve today's outcome, all despite detractors who have insulted and dehumanized them at every turn. The LBGT movement just experienced the greatest victory in their history, and you want them to shut up about it? Get over yourself.

If you had been alive in 1964, you probably would've wished that blacks would shut up about the Civil Rights Act, too.

^ I cannot know this for sure because I'm not a member of either demographic but,

1960's treatment of African-Americans =/= 2000's treatment of homosexuals....one was a teeeeeny bit worse than the other, wouldn't you say?

To me it's apples and oranges of a comparison. But your point is taken.

Next up, marriage between brother and sister. After all, they have their rights.......America has become a laughing stock. We the people now means, We the 9

You obviously DO care, because every time the subject comes up you complain about having to hear about it.

Up until the time of this ruling, there had been about 30 states whose legislatures had at some point adopted a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages or unions. That's 30 states who had told a segment of their law-abiding, tax-paying citizenry that they weren't entitled to the same legal rights as everyone else. Think about that for a second.

It has taken years of protests, marches, lobbying, and lawsuits to achieve today's outcome, all despite detractors who have insulted and dehumanized them at every turn. The LBGT movement just experienced the greatest victory in their history, and you want them to shut up about it? Get over yourself.

If you had been alive in 1964, you probably would've wished that blacks would shut up about the Civil Rights Act, too.

So you basically called GSD a racist without actually spelling the word? Quite the good little liberal. For the "record" I could care less personally. Although I think its an abomination its all up to them as to their "chosen" lifestyle. In the end we all have to pay one way or another. So be it.

personally. Although I think its an abomination its all up to them as to their "chosen" lifestyle. In the end we all have to pay one way or another. So be it.
Right, so live and let live. That's what I've always said. If you hate a particular type of lifestyle, you know how you combat it? DON'T DO IT. There's no need to whine to the government to legislate nationwide so that people will follow what you (not YOU Old_School, just 'you' in the general sense) believe is proper.

It's so infuriating that as a society, we waste so much political time and resources debating about whether abortion and gay marriage should be legal or illegal. Live and let live. Don't legislate morality. Allow everyone to make their own decisions. If you think abortion is wrong, don't practice it, and encourage your friends not to practice it. You have the freedom to do so.

THAT is what I mean when I say I'm tired of hearing about this issue. It's because it's an easy fix and it took so much politickin' just to get it done. If the government just went by the simple rule of thumb of "don't legislate morality, give everyone the freedom to live to their moral compass" then we could get back to focusing on important issues in elections, like foreign policy and the economy, and the m*****f****g border!

So you basically called GSD a racist without actually spelling the word?
Yes. Clearly that's exactly what I was implying. You're all over it. Good job, Mr. Message Board Policeman. You really got me there. Where do I pay my fine? Do you take credit? Or can you wait until my next payday? 'Cause I really want to make things right here. Whew. You got me good.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
America has become a laughing stock. We the people now means, We the 9
That's the crazy thing about living in a nation of laws. When "the people" adopt laws that are unconstitutional, the Supreme Court is empowered to strike them down.

Go ahead. Give me one legal reason same-sex couples should be denied the right to marry, i.e. should be subjected to a different set of laws than all other U.S. citizens. I'll wait.

Quite the good little liberal.
Any since we're on the subject, this is hilarious. I actually disagree with homosexual marriage insofar as marriage is a union in the eyes of God. But like you said, that's between them and God. It's not our place to judge, nor is it our place to deny them the same legal rights as others.
For the "record" I could care less personally.
Obligatory:
Caring-continuum-couldnt-care-less-vs-could-care-less.png

I actually disagree with homosexual marriage insofar as marriage is a union in the eyes of God. But like you said, that's between them and God. It's not our place to judge, nor is it our place to deny them the same legal rights as others.
Obligatory:
Right, which points back to my "don't legislate morality" post above ^

Reactions: Raising Heel

Ok, I'll stay quiet and let them enjoy the "greatest victory in history". But when does the celebration end? Approximately how much longer will those of us that had no dog in the fight have to hear about "the greatest victory in history"? A week? A month? Or will the "greatest victory in history" continue to be headline news until the end of time? I just want to know how much Pepto I need to stock up on.

As far as your (terrible) comparison to the civil rights movement, I do indeed feel sorry for those LGBT folks that had to drink from different water fountains, go to different schools and sit on the back of the bus. Wait a minute...

Ok, I'll stay quiet and let them enjoy the "greatest victory in history".
"Greatest victory in their history." What is it with you and the phrasing this week?

As far as how long it will last, I imagine it will be as long as they're regarded differently from anybody else simply because of their sexual orientation or identity. You know, the same as how people are regarded differently because of the color of their skin. Yes, what a terrible analogy to have used (assuming you're not too literal-minded, of course).

... give everyone the freedom to live to their moral compass"

Agreed. But I don't care about your moral compass. Just like you don't care about mine. So stop telling me about yours, or hers, or his, or theirs. You be you, I'll be me. You shut up about your moral compass and I'll shut up about mine.

Agreed. But I don't care about your moral compass. Just like you don't care about mine. So stop telling me about yours, or hers, or his, or theirs. You be you, I'll be me. You shut up about your moral compass and I'll shut up about mine.
Exactly. It's my expectation (or hope at least), that the "shutting up about it" would ensue fairly quickly after the "don't legislate morality" is enacted, in my hypothetical scenario.

"Greatest victory in their history." What is it with you and the phrasing this week?

As far as how long it will last, I imagine it will be as long as they're regarded differently from anybody else simply because of their sexual orientation or identity. You know, the same as how people are regarded differently because of the color of their skin. .

Who's the judge of how they're regarded? Because I'm declaring right now, that I regard them no differently. But I bet if you ask people behind the movement, it will be decades. They want to feel different. They want inclusion, yet, they want to be different. It's not good enough to be included. They want to be included all the while making it known they are different. If they didn't want that, then the SCOTUS would be the end of it. I suspect it won't be.

The LGBT community is like Red Sox fans before they won the World Series - they loved their plight. It was something they held onto. They reveled in it. That's a good analogy...assuming you're not being too literal minded.

They want to feel different. They want inclusion, yet, they want to be different. It's not good enough to be included.
Just an observation, but you seem to make a lot of sweeping generalizations about what the LGBT community thinks, how they feel, and how they behave. You also seem to believe you have the power of prescience. It strikes me as odd for someone who claims to not care.

They want inclusion, yet, they want to be different. It's not good enough to be included. They want to be included all the while making it known they are different.

There is some truth there, too. There's almost some inherent need for victimization.

And, that goes for racial situations, too. They were shat-on for centuries that it may become like a genetic predisposition to draw a victimization upon yourself. I dunno. Sadly, they WERE oppressed and they were NOT allowed for a very long time. It may take that same amount of time to never hear about it again.

I'm not bothered with it because I rarely have the TV on. Online, I can navigate away. And, I'm not that fixated on the rest of the world unless I stop, like right now, and comment. I think two hetero guys should marry, get the state benefits and then go on dating and mating!

We can only judge the future by looking at the past.
Fair enough.

For the record, I wasn't disagreeing about the victim complex. I think parts of the African-American community feel they deserve certain entitlements (e.g. Reparation) due to their victim status and we'll probably see the same kinds of attitude from elements the LGBT community. Sigh.

As long as the government wants to be involved in the marriage business (licenses, taxes, etc), then no reason LTBGs shouldn't be able to marry. I don't even understand why the topic merits a discussion.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
That's not how I interpreted some interviews I heard. I was listening to radio this morning and they played a few audio clips of people involved in the movement and a couple stated "now my marriage is as good as anyone else's." That sounds to me that they needed the fed govt to "validate" their marriage.

But it's whatever. Again, I have no problem with gays enjoying the same benefits my wife and I enjoy in a traditional marriage. Honestly, I just want them to STFU about it. You won. It's over. Please stop talking about it.
We'll celebrate for a bit and then plan on doing just that. Pardon the celebration.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Next up, marriage between brother and sister. After all, they have their rights.......America has become a laughing stock. We the people now means, We the 9
If incest is good enough for: Abraham & Sara, Nachor & Melcha, Lot & his daughters, Amram & Jochabed, Amnon & Thamar, and Cain & his wife, then why not? Its in the bible...

Reactions: uncboy10
We'll celebrate for a bit and then plan on doing just that. Pardon the celebration.

In GSDs defense, it has been a long time since the alternative lifestyle has shut up about anything. Maybe it has all been leading up to this though and now everyone can quit worrying about everyone else's sexual proclivities.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
If incest is good enough for: Abraham & Sara, Nachor & Melcha, Lot & his daughters, Amram & Jochabed, Amnon & Thamar, and Cain & his wife, then why not? Its in the bible...
Good job. Better get your shit straight before quoting bible off of liberal webpages.

BTW incest was not "good enough" for anyone. Abraham and Sarah was not incest in Biblical times because he was his Half-sister not born of the same mother. I believe Melcha was Nachor's Niece. (Nahor was Abraham's brother) The whole reason God told Abraham to leave his family was because they served strange gods and did stuff unacceptable to God, like incest. Lot's daughters got him drunk and date raped him, etc. It is Tamar, not Thamar. She was David's daughter and her half brother, Amnon, raped her by acting like he was sick and her real brother Absalom killed him afterwards. Cain, really?

Now find us the homosexual examples acceptable to God in the Bible and I will shred that too.

As long as the government wants to be involved in the marriage business (licenses, taxes, etc), then no reason LTBGs shouldn't be able to marry. I don't even understand why the topic merits a discussion.
This is the crux of the issue. Because government intruded upon (what should be) strictly a religious ceremony and union and thus economic implications came into being, then it cannot be denied to homosexuals or any demographic.

Marriage is defined once and for all in the book with the most important laws that govern my life, the Bible. A group of humans cannot change the infallible word of the Lord. I'll teach my kids what marriage truly is and model it in our home. I'll also teach them what marriage is not and why it's wrong to live in sin like homosexuals do (no different than any other sinful lifestyle that folks choose to live in).

We live in a sad, fallen world. Things like this are simply part of the slide away from Godly principles that was promised thousands of years ago. Nothing surprises me anymore but it also has no bearing on how I am able to live my life. I'll continue to love and serve those around me, regardless of their sexual preference, because that's what Christ did and has taught His followers to do.

These sum it up pretty well:

http://erlc.com/erlc/herewestand?ut...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nor-panic-about-the-decision-on-gay-marriage/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT