ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Describe your perfect tailgate for a Carolina football game

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
Just pulled up a map of Chapel Hill on Google Maps to check something out, and now all I can fantasize about at work is tailgating. Probably my favorite thing to discuss besides actual football.

What's your usual tailgate set-up? Or, what's your dream tailgate set-up if money weren't an option? 3...2...1...Go!

THN11, I know you are familiar with our tailgate setup but I'll jump in. We are in the Bowles lot and usually along the wall about halfway down just past the steps. We have 2 to 4 tents set up together and tables with food underneath. One of my buddies sets up a flagpole with the American flag and a Carolina flag. Despite my poster name, I don't have a travel grill, but my friends do, so they bring theirs and cook whatever they decide. I often do a version of your crockpot barbecue with either pork or beef and my wife, and other folks, fix an assortment of snacks from salty to sweet. I actually do homemade pimento cheese (my wife doesn't like it) that my friends and I like. The wife of one of my Greensboro friends makes cheese straws that are absolutely killer! Various cold adult beverages are consumed and enjoyed. We have a good time! It certainly helps when we play well.
My perfect tailgate would probably be this setup with a full-blown pig pickin' thrown in and Hannah Davis and Kate Upton stopping by!:)

Reactions: BillyL and uncboy10
I would have a couple spots right in front of the stadium. Put up couple tents, have all my UNC friends over for some killer food and beverages. Bojangles chicken n biscuits, ham biscuits, parkers bbq, corn sticks, slaw, fruit salad, some sausage/cheese balls, fruit plate, cheese and Ital meat plate, WNC craft beer, homemade sangria, spiked hot cocoa if its cold, and what ever else sounds good. Footballs to throw, corn hole to play. Radio tuned into the pre-game or post-game show. clean bathroom nearby. :)

BUMP.

Let's get this thread rolling since tailgating has been brought up in the 'first game menu' thread.

I have a question for you hardcore tailgaters.....I'm very interested in setting up some form of TV viewing at my tailgate. How the heck do I accomplish this? Any ideas?

Reactions: Raising Heel
BUMP.

Let's get this thread rolling since tailgating has been brought up in the 'first game menu' thread.

I have a question for you hardcore tailgaters.....I'm very interested in setting up some form of TV viewing at my tailgate. How the heck do I accomplish this? Any ideas?
I've seen people bring a satellite antenna and set it up to get tv, but I have not tried it. You, of course, would have to have satellite tv at home, plus an extra antenna, cables, power sources, etc. It certainly can be done but always seemed like too much trouble to me.

I've seen people bring a satellite antenna and set it up to get tv, but I have not tried it. You, of course, would have to have satellite tv at home, plus an extra antenna, cables, power sources, etc. It certainly can be done but always seemed like too much trouble to me.
Same here. I went to the Clemson-FSU game in Death Valley back in 2003 and saw a group do this. They had the back gate of their Suburban open with a large screen TV sitting in the back, hooked up to a dish and a generator. There was a semi-circle of about 30 folding chairs around the back of the vehicle. They also had a full-sized grill and everybody in their group was well-fed, drunk, and having a great time. And that was BEFORE the game haha. It was awesome.

The easier thing to do might be to use mi-fi and a tablet and/or other device that runs on battery power so you don't need a generator or somewhere to plug in. What's the largest batter-powered screen available? The other option is to get an adapter to plug into a car, but I imagine you'd have to leave the engine running to not drain the battery.

Well......I already know how to skip the game, stay home, and watch it on my couch. Thus why I didn't post it on their board ;)
Hi THN11. The tailgate at Craige parking lot is a great one for food & fellowship.

There's a guy at clempsun that brings a modified 20ft covered trailer. One of the sides folds up to reveal two huge flat screens and a few taps. Pretty epic. Looked like something Budweiser would have set up.

Hi THN11. The tailgate at Craige parking lot is a great one for food & fellowship.
I think a longtime poster on here named "botate" is part of this party. We've stopped by a couple ot times and it's pretty awesome!

My question is for those going to the game in Charolette. What are y'all doing before the game?

My perfect tailgate is simple. A 330 or later game. With time to go to Woodys and watch a little football. Have a beer or two. Then walk down about towards the stadium about an hour and a half before kickoff. Watch the drum line in the student quad. Then walk over to the library for the little pep rally by the Marching Tar Heels. And when they when the band is done. I follow them to the stadium. I wish more people would come to the pep rally. It to me is a really good tradition. But no one ever shows. Maybe on a good day 300 people. Plus it get you to your seat and ready for the game 45 mins before kickoff. But here at Carolina. We show late and leave early. Wish that would change.

BUMP.

Get directv and get the portable satellite. Works great.

Are you coming up to a game at the Hill this year, so that you and RH can consummate the relationship?

lol, hopefully duke or miami...i don't know what his schedule is though.

i'm trying to go to ga tech with a tech friend of mine, but that's always a last minute decision because we never need tickets...two years ago we decided that friday.

lol, hopefully duke or miami...i don't know what his schedule is though.

i'm trying to go to ga tech with a tech friend of mine, but that's always a last minute decision because we never need tickets...two years ago we decided that friday.
Yeah I'm debating if I want to go to Tech or not, since it's in my backyard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT