ADVERTISEMENT

Parking for games at the Smith Center

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Since I put down roots again in North Carolina about three years ago I have been lucky to have gone to 4 Carolina games there and two Late night with Roy sessions but I have found parking a major problem as of late.

I have been parking at the Craig garage this past year and the walk is not real bad except in the area there are steps involved where I have to be especially careful because I need a cane to just get around.

If someone has some ideas I would appreciate them because I am afraid that some young whipper snapper too busy to realize that I am using a cane will knock me over to and from the game--thanks

The Tar Heel Express shuttles run from several locations. They drop you off/pick you up right in front of the arena. My family has ridden from the Friday Center on many occasions, and we've always had a good experience with it.

Reactions: Raising Heel
The Tar Heel Express shuttles run from several locations. They drop you off/pick you up right in front of the arena. My family has ridden from the Friday Center on many occasions, and we've always had a good experience with it.
Parking at the DES is turrible. I agree with taking the bus.

I always park at the mall and ride the bus. Lets you off and picks you back up right in front of DES. Stood in line and sat next to David Thompson after the Moo game three years ago. What a nice guy for a woofie.

Here's what UNC offers:

DISABILITY PARKING

Disability parking is available on a first-come, first-serve basis in the Rams Head parking deck on Ridge Road. Bus transportation to the Smith Center from the designated handicap parking area is available before events. For safety reasons, transportation to the parking area after an event is available only after most of the arena is vacated. 919-962-3951

Personally, I favor the free Carolina Brewery Shuttle bus. Nice to have a cold one on the way to the game!

Since I put down roots again in North Carolina about three years ago I have been lucky to have gone to 4 Carolina games there and two Late night with Roy sessions but I have found parking a major problem as of late.

I have been parking at the Craig garage this past year and the walk is not real bad except in the area there are steps involved where I have to be especially careful because I need a cane to just get around.

If someone has some ideas I would appreciate them because I am afraid that some young whipper snapper too busy to realize that I am using a cane will knock me over to and from the game--thanks

I don't have any input on close parking. I usually get the privilege of attending one game a year, be it football or basketball and usually park in the garage just off Franklin St behind all the shops. We would frequent the shops and ease on over to either Kenan or the Smith Center. I'm assuming the shuttle would pick up somewhere close to there? I've never found parking to be a problem that far away.

I've started taking the shuttle from the Friday Center almost exclusively since the deck on Ridge Road is now exclusively handicapped so they've told me twice.

Idunk, here I go with my diatribe....
We parked for years at either the Bowles lot at the bottom of the big concrete steps when we had a handicaped situation, waiting for the lot to clear for the little extended golf cart shuttle is a bummer, also at BIG games they allow those dang limos to park at the curb on the side road next to Bowles, pisses me off as they will not move or get the heck out of the way until their party arrive, I have given those inconsiderate b'tards a piece of my mind years ago...Craig deck was always my favorite especially if early, slide in and park top deck near the entrance/exit, easy in and out...but the posters above are all spot on with the shuttle be it from the Friday Center or the Mall or for a beer, :), the shuttles all que up in order out front of the Smith Center for about an hour after the game, look for the "color code" signs that tells one where to wait, again be it for a ride to the Friday or the Mall...all those Ed Found years and many thousands of dollars don't get one out of the Bowles lot any quicker as the shuttles get their own lane and off ya go...nice to zip by all the folks sitting in traffic...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT