ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jackson Says What We All Knew!

Phil is a very smart man, I will and shall say. lol. I'm sure once it's hit's Doo Doo Ville, Phil will get called all sorts of bad words. Heck, I'm sure they will calm that he has no idea about talent nor can he coach.
Folks in DooDooVille will be out for blood. However, I bet they blame UNC for Phil's comments. Truth Hurts.

From the article:

His time with the Bulls seems so long ago now, with the Knicks closer to picking at top of the draft than the top of the standings.

At best, the Knicks would get the first pick and tab center Jahlil Okafor, although Jackson thinks he might not be aggressive enough. “Also, if you look at the guys who came to the NBA from Duke, aside from Grant Hill, which ones lived up to expectations?”

Well the fact is duke players that enter the league really are not as fundamentally sound as those from many other programs, same is becoming true of Ky players actually. They are more program players than versitle types, please understand, we are not so much talking about the 5 star can't miss talents like parker, Ochafor, Irwing. Duke players are taught and drilled on their opponents players trend to do, meaning if a guy is strong with his left hand they are taught to shade him hard on his strong hand and not worry about his right. Now of course that is smart to an extent but it also covers up a lacking of proper positioning that in the NBA is vital, cause in the NBA they have to be just as strong with either hand. Fine for college where guys are being developed but a problem in the league. They play K's program, lots of grabbing off the ball, taking a lot of ghost charges, tons of hand checks. They get away with those things in the college game because refs are intimidated by K but in the league they don't. In the league it is the stars that get the benefit of the doubt and that is not often a dukie.

And the history bears that out, I mean geez, you can count the number of former dukies with NBA championship rings on one hand, with the shear numbers of former dukies in the league you have to realize something just does not add up. Ochafor had a good summer league meaning he did fine vs back ups and guys trying to catch on with other teams but going against the best the NBA has to offer is a totally different thing. I am not sold he is a guaranteed star if he wil not be allowed to barrel thru his defenders like he was able to in college. Heck of a talent but is to me an example of a kid that really left college way to soon, IMO pretty much 95% of the one & done guys need to be in a college program for at least 3yrs.

But back on point, when you consider that Jordan, Worthy, and Rick Fox all individually have more rings as former dukies have collectively you have to ask what is up. Phil Jackson says what we already know, that former dukies don't enter the league well prepared for that level of play. Heck, Danny Green may have as many if not more rings than former dukies...

There ya go recruits, want to have a less than you expect NBA career then by all means play for duke...

So in 35 years krat has helped place around 39-40 of his players in the NBA. Wow.

The school that has had the most NBA all-stars in the last 20 years is North Carolina, proudly able to claim seven all-stars: James Worthy, Michael Jordan, Brad Daugherty, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. (old article sorry)

Duke is one of eight schools that has had four of its former players reach all-star status in the last 20 years. (from same old article)

Of Krzyzewski's former stars, only Danny Ferry has won an NBA championship ring. And Ferry claimed his jewelry as a seldom-used reserve with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003. Meanwhile, since 1980, rival North Carolina has had 11 players combine to win 25 NBA championships. It's no wonder Tar Heel fans love to bring that trivia up as often as possible. (from same old article)

David , I guess Danny Green does have more rings than Dook.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30167972 "the old article"

So in 35 years krat has helped place around 39-40 of his players in the NBA. Wow.

The school that has had the most NBA all-stars in the last 20 years is North Carolina, proudly able to claim seven all-stars: James Worthy, Michael Jordan, Brad Daugherty, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. (old article sorry)

Duke is one of eight schools that has had four of its former players reach all-star status in the last 20 years. (from same old article)

Of Krzyzewski's former stars, only Danny Ferry has won an NBA championship ring. And Ferry claimed his jewelry as a seldom-used reserve with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003. Meanwhile, since 1980, rival North Carolina has had 11 players combine to win 25 NBA championships. It's no wonder Tar Heel fans love to bring that trivia up as often as possible. (from same old article)

David , I guess Danny Green does have more rings than Dook.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30167972 "the old article"

And Tom, I know you will agree, I want Roy to sell this fact, I mean really hammer it, not only Tar Heels but his former Kansas players as well. That is a pitch these kids not only would listen to but buy in to ! While it is cool to show off all the college success, these kids heads are in the NBA so sell former UNC and his former Kansas players success there as a reason to come to us.

I would love to hear the expletives flying from K's mouth as he reads this....LMFAO

This is retaliation for comments K made to some NY newspaper last month about the triangle offense. He said something along the lines of "the triangle didn't win those titles Jordan and Kobe did". Elaborating to say he doesn't "make his guys play to a system but that he adapts his system to his guys".

Well the fact is duke players that enter the league really are not as fundamentally sound as those from many other programs, same is becoming true of Ky players actually. They are more program players than versitle types, please understand, we are not so much talking about the 5 star can't miss talents like parker, Ochafor, Irwing. Duke players are taught and drilled on their opponents players trend to do, meaning if a guy is strong with his left hand they are taught to shade him hard on his strong hand and not worry about his right. Now of course that is smart to an extent but it also covers up a lacking of proper positioning that in the NBA is vital, cause in the NBA they have to be just as strong with either hand. Fine for college where guys are being developed but a problem in the league. They play K's program, lots of grabbing off the ball, taking a lot of ghost charges, tons of hand checks. They get away with those things in the college game because refs are intimidated by K but in the league they don't. In the league it is the stars that get the benefit of the doubt and that is not often a dukie.

And the history bears that out, I mean geez, you can count the number of former dukies with NBA championship rings on one hand, with the shear numbers of former dukies in the league you have to realize something just does not add up. Ochafor had a good summer league meaning he did fine vs back ups and guys trying to catch on with other teams but going against the best the NBA has to offer is a totally different thing. I am not sold he is a guaranteed star if he wil not be allowed to barrel thru his defenders like he was able to in college. Heck of a talent but is to me an example of a kid that really left college way to soon, IMO pretty much 95% of the one & done guys need to be in a college program for at least 3yrs.

But back on point, when you consider that Jordan, Worthy, and Rick Fox all individually have more rings as former dukies have collectively you have to ask what is up. Phil Jackson says what we already know, that former dukies don't enter the league well prepared for that level of play. Heck, Danny Green may have as many if not more rings than former dukies...

There ya go recruits, want to have a less than you expect NBA career then by all means play for duke...

I can't wait to see Jalil go against Memphis and the front line of Marc Gasol and Zack Randolph. You want to see what he can do? Let them play one of the best front lines in the NBA. I bet he gets his lunch taken.

This is retaliation for comments K made to some NY newspaper last month about the triangle offense. He said something along the lines of "the triangle didn't win those titles Jordan and Kobe did". Elaborating to say he doesn't "make his guys play to a system but that he adapts his system to his guys".
A war of words between the Dark Lord and the Zen Master. you gotta love it.

While we can all agree that UNC has more NBA rings than Duke, but you can't prop up Roy for those. He's produced only one (1) NBA all-star, that was Paul Pierce. Roy's former players that have won rings were certainly not the stars of their NBA teams.

Not going to come here and claim that all former Duke players are stars in the NBA, but for that to be a knock on K and not a knock on Roy is a little hard to explain.

Reactions: TrillBlue
While we can all agree that UNC has more NBA rings than Duke, but you can't prop up Roy for those. He's produced only one (1) NBA all-star, that was Paul Pierce. Roy's former players that have won rings were certainly not the stars of their NBA teams.

Not going to come here and claim that all former Duke players are stars in the NBA, but for that to be a knock on K and not a knock on Roy is a little hard to explain.

Well, Phil Jackson has stated what many here already know to be true. "K"ay can claim Grant Hill and a bunch of Dookie promo machines (analysis) that may indeed work for DSPN and/or CBS. Too bad that some of his so-called greatest players didn't really become superstars in the Nba. Neither have they won but a few Nba Championships. Phil Jackson just went up a notch, in my book...

Well, Phil Jackson has stated what many here already know to be true. "K"ay can claim Grant Hill and a bunch of Dookie promo machines (analysis) that may indeed work for DSPN and/or CBS. Too bad that some of his so-called greatest players didn't really become superstars in the Nba. Neither have they won but a few Nba Championships. Phil Jackson just went up a notch, in my book...

Well now, another Phil Jackson related article on FOX :

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...id=623936710485774336&adbpl=tw&adbpr=16877611

K can counter with the fact that Duke players earn forty percent more than UNC players do.that certainly resonate pretty well with recruits

Playing with real numbers, that I know you do NOT have (imo) is a nice way to play cat and mouse. So tell me now, how much is Tyler going to make THIS year? Forty percent of what? Endorsement money included? Because MJ still makes more than just about all of the Dookies put together, in this department. Hell_o, he is very obviously not even playing anymore. The bottom line is BS is just that...

I always like a good debate, and I'll be nice since this isn't my board, but I still think we can all agree that Roy's players at the next level are mostly just good players, with a few better than average players.

I think any unbiased UNC fan would admit that as well. And I'm not coming here trying to say that Duke is producing the greatest NBA talent, but I think over the next few years, you will see a better mix of former Duke players at the next level. Irving, Parker, Winslow, Tatum, possibly Giles and the next group of top players Duke will have playing for them, will be in the NBA...so we'll see.

I think for UNC, the next couple of years, you will not see a great group of NBA talent. Not trying to knock who you have on the roster, but I don't see any above average NBA players on it.

Hey, it's difficult to produce superstars in the NBA.

Reactions: TrillBlue
Playing with real numbers, that I know you do NOT have (imo) is a nice way to play cat and mouse. So tell me now, how much is Tyler going to make THIS year? Forty percent of what? Endorsement money included? Because MJ still makes more than just about all of the Dookies put together, in this department. Hell_o, he is very obviously not even playing anymore. The bottom line is BS is just that...

yea, where is this 40% coming from? MJ still makes $100 million a year just on Nike endorsements. He bought the Hornets for $275 million, they are now worth $750 million. MJ alone probably trumps all Duke players.

yea, where is this 40% coming from? MJ still makes $100 million a year just on Nike endorsements. He bought the Hornets for $275 million, they are now worth $750 million. MJ alone probably trumps all Duke players.

Pretty sure he's talking about their NBA salaries. It's not always known what each player makes in total endorsements. So while MJ still makes a ton in endorsements, let's talk about the current NBA players and their salaries.

Talking about current players salaries. Up until last vyr .our players made were collectively the highest paid group from any college,but after A Davis contract Ky has now passed us.other than MJ no player from any of our schools have major endorsement deals

Pretty sure he's talking about their NBA salaries. It's not always known what each player makes in total endorsements. So while MJ still makes a ton in endorsements, let's talk about the current NBA players and their salaries.

Why? MJ is the G.O.A.T, went to UNC, his play is the reason he is still making more on endorsements in 1 year then all Duke players combined. I think it's fair to still use him as an example. Hell the man has a UNC colored private jet.

Why? MJ is the G.O.A.T, went to UNC, his play is the reason he is still making more on endorsements in 1 year then all Duke players combined. I think it's fair to still use him as an example. Hell the man has a UNC colored private jet.

I'm not trying to discount anything MJ makes or does, but I'm not sure how relevant MJ is to what Phil Jackson said. I thought we were comparing former players under K and former players under Roy. I don't know how MJ fits into that.

That would be like Georgia using Dominique Wilkins as an example of who the college produces at the next level, or University of Houston using Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, or LSU using Shaq, etc. I'm just not sure how that fits into this discussion of current players in the league.

I'm not trying to discount anything MJ makes or does, but I'm not sure how relevant MJ is to what Phil Jackson said. I thought we were comparing former players under K and former players under Roy. I don't know how MJ fits into that.

That would be like Georgia using Dominique Wilkins as an example of who the college produces at the next level, or University of Houston using Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, or LSU using Shaq, etc. I'm just not sure how that fits into this discussion of current players in the league.

I missed that memo

I missed that memo

I thought the memo was what Phil Jackson said? Then UNC fans were chiming in about former players under K. Then Duke fans chimed in about former players under Roy.

Not sure how it got to all former players from each college. I guess you did miss that memo.

I thought the memo was what Phil Jackson said? Then UNC fans were chiming in about former players under K. Then Duke fans chimed in about former players under Roy.

Not sure how it got to all former players from each college. I guess you did miss that memo.

Well given the fact Grant Hill was mentioned in that article as greatest player under K, and Dean Smith was the head coach of UNC at that time... Yea, I missed the memo it was just players under Roy.

Pardon me but this was NOT about a comparison between Roy Williams and "K"ay. Rather this was and is actually about possibly the greatest professional basketball Coach of All-Time saying that Duke players do NOT generally turn out to become very good/great NBA players (according to Phil Jackson). Roy Williams was NOT mentioned by Coach Phil Jackson! Nice try though...:cool:

Pardon me but this was NOT about a comparison between Roy Williams and "K"ay. Rather this was and is actually about possibly the greatest professional basketball Coach of All-Time saying that Duke players do NOT generally turn out to become very good/great NBA players (according to Phil Jackson). Roy Williams was NOT mentioned by Coach Phil Jackson! Nice try though...:cool:

I say, whatever keeps you from having to admit that Roy only produces average players at the next level. But nice try though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT