ADVERTISEMENT

Question/Concern

berry30

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2007
This is just my opinion -

These kids these days seem to verbal and then go back on their word. I understand they can, it is their decision and they are 17/18 year old kids. My concern is that some of them if not a lot of them commit to a school to secure a spot and then wait for something better to come up. They wait for a bigger offer, but when it does not transpire they have something to fall back on. I understand they can do whatever they want. It just frustrates me that ones word is not what it use to be. You don't see much of this w basketball recruiting. I do understand they need to protect themselves. I just hate that there is not much loyalty anymore. What happened to doing what you said you were going to do? Sad. I know that is life, but it still frustrated me.

I'd say kids today pretty much reflect society. A man's word used to be a pretty reliable indicator of his character and most thought keeping it really mattered so they were less apt to make quick decisions. Now we expect 17-18 year olds to hold to that same standard but adults are not exactly acting as stand-up role models.

Originally posted by berry30:
This is just my opinion -

These kids these days seem to verbal and then go back on their word. I understand they can, it is their decision and they are 17/18 year old kids. My concern is that some of them if not a lot of them commit to a school to secure a spot and then wait for something better to come up. They wait for a bigger offer, but when it does not transpire they have something to fall back on. I understand they can do whatever they want. It just frustrates me that ones word is not what it use to be. You don't see much of this w basketball recruiting. I do understand they need to protect themselves. I just hate that there is not much loyalty anymore. What happened to doing what you said you were going to do? Sad. I know that is life, but it still frustrated me.
You don't see it nearly as uch in basketball recruiting becuase basketall has an early signing date. You either sign early, or you don't.

And that is the main reason I am for an early signing date in football.

The only time the kid has the power...the schools in cases are not honest with the kids...behind closed doors they tell a kid for months they want him in FB...the kid wants to commit and then they say ...wait the offer is off/on hold...reason they are waiting on a specific target they feel is worth a shot at.(fans just do not hear about this)
...schools de-commit just as much as the kids...the coach and some staffs often leave during the recruitment also or are fired...were the kids advised that Disch would not be on the staff after he was some of the kids primary recruiter? works both ways...just the way it is reference the schools power at this point of recruitment and the student athletes
This post was edited on 4/12 6:53 PM by 2for3

Originally posted by 2for3:
The only time the kid has the power...the schools in cases are not honest with the kids...behind closed doors they tell a kid for months they want him in FB...the kid wants to commit and then they say ...wait the offer is off/on hold...reason they are waiting on a specific target they feel is worth a shot at.(fans just do not hear about this)
...schools de-commit just as much as the kids...the coach and some staffs often leave during the recruitment also or are fired...were the kids advised that Disch would not be on the staff after he was some of the kids primary recruiter? works both ways...just the way it is reference the schools power at this point of recruitment and the student athletes
This post was edited on 4/12 6:53 PM by 2for3
And if there is an early signing date, schools can't play that game of offer but not yet quite committable for very long. If, say, we have early signing for football before the HS Sr season on 2 days - 1st Wednesday and Thursday in August - all staffs will want to land at least half of the class. They can't afford to not take the signed letter from a low 4 star QB because there is some hope that the high 4 star QB they prefer will come around before the end of Thursday.

And because players do sign with coaches, I am for players being allowed to get out of signed letters if the HC leaves.

After following college football recruiting for several years, I've grown less and less upset about it.

The problem is simply one of semantics. It's not a "commitment." That term is antiquated and needs to be replaced.

I still don't understand how anyone follows recruiting in any sport. You are wasting time which could be spent on following soccer.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
After following college football recruiting for several years, I've grown less and less upset about it.

The problem is simply one of semantics. It's not a "commitment." That term is antiquated and needs to be replaced.
True right here.

Originally posted by UNC 71-00:

I still don't understand how anyone follows recruiting in any sport. You are wasting time which could be spent on following soccer.
Haha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT