ADVERTISEMENT

Quotes from 'The Sandlot'

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
GREAT movie. Post awesome and/or your favorite quotes here.

"Is that your sister out in left field, naked? She's naked isn't she...? [SHUT UP Porter!] Hey hey hey....I'm just trying to make some friendly conversation. Think she'd go out with me?"

original.jpg

Reactions: heelz2345
"Hey Smalls, you want a S'More?"
"Some more of what?"
"No no, do you want a S'More?"
"....I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?"
"You're killing me Smalls!...."

Great movie, my youngest would watch some of this whenever he saw it being televised . . I'd have to look up quotes, and I'm too lazy this AM to do that.

Great, great movie. It's one of those movies that makes the viewer wish they had grown up in that time. It sure makes me feel that way. I wouldn't say it's at the top of my list for quotables, but still a great movie.

"You're killing me Smalls!...."

I use this at least 3 times a day when talking to my kids. My kids use this quote regularly when talking to each other. They were using that quote before they even saw the movie.

@gunslingerdick

I agree with you about it making you wish you'd grown up in that time. I feel the same way when watching it. And yeah, I'll bust out a "you're killing me, Smalls" every once in awhile too.

And it's actually a sneakily very quotable movie, IMO

Seriously guys, am I gonna have to do all the work myself?

"It's about time Benny, my clothes are going out of style."
"They already are, Squints."
"Shut up!"

Great movie... not very quotable, though.

I love the chewing tobacco on the carnival ride. Tequila was a great backing track song.

Ok ok fine. I'm altering this thread. You can quote it and/or you can list your favorite parts/scenes/images/memes/etc from the movie.

Better? ;)

Man, I don't know what you mean about it not being quotable. I use lines from it all the time. Some just off the top of my head.

"Heroes get remembered, but legends never die."

"You play ball like a girl!"

"Oh, I thought you said the great Bambi."
"That wimpy deer?"

"Some lady gave it to him. She even signed her name on it. Some lady named...Ruth. Baby Ruth."

"If my dog was as ugly as you, I'd shave his butt and teach him to walk backwards"

"The kid is an L-7 weenie!"
"Yeah, yeah! Oscar Meyer, even!"

"FOR-EV-ER!"

"I bet you get straight A's and $h!t, huh?"
"No, I got a B once. Well, actually it was an A-, but it should have been a B"

"Don't be a goofus. Don't be a goofus."

"I've been coming here every summer of my adult life, and every summer, there she is. Lotioning and oiling. Oiling and lotioning. I can't take it no more!"

I absolutely love this movie. I think it's seriously underrated. Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez is in the top 5 fictional movie athletes of all time.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
@heelz2345 brings the rain!!! I totally agree that the movie is quotable as hell. You posted my favorite quote ("If I had a dog that was as ugly as you...") which I was going to hold on to for a little later in the thread haha. One of my other favorites (I'm gonna butcher it but I'm too lazy to look it up exactly) is:

"Yeah Benny man, the kid's a square."
"Yeah Benny, why'd you bring that kid?"
"Because he makes 9 of us you idiot."
"Yeah yeah, so does my sister but I didn't bring her!"
"Man....base up you blockheads"

Seriously a great movie.

Speaking of quotes from this movie we use in daily life, I pepper in a "Shut your mouth, Phillips!" every now and then, especially in text conversations. It's always nice when people actually recognize the allusion.

I use one of Ham's line pretty frequently: "Hurry up batter, it's gonna be a short game, and I gotta get home for lunch"
You are killing it right now. That whole 5-minute part where the rival teams bikes over, they have the heated exchange, and then the Sandlot kids play them at their field the next day and crush them. That part is solid gold. The dialogue is hilarious as all get out.

God I want to leave work right now and go watch this movie.

A line applicable after any great win over a rival: "It had been a solid victory. In fact, we beat the crap out of those guys."

Oh yeah, the trash talk scene is absolute gold dialogue. Like seriously, just classic insult after classic insult

This isn't really dialogue, but the part where they play on July 4th and the fireworks are going off and you have the Ray Charles version of America the Beautiful is just a terrific scene.

Also, possible controversial opinion, but I think this is the better baseball movie featuring James Earl Jones, ahead of Field of Dreams.

This isn't really dialogue, but the part where they play on July 4th and the fireworks are going off and you have the Ray Charles version of America the Beautiful is just a terrific scene.
Good call. That's actually one of the most patriotic scenes in a non-war movie that I can think of. The whole movie is very patriotic and very Americana; an ode to America's past-time and just quintessential growing up in America in that time.

Also, possible controversial opinion, but I think this is the better baseball movie featuring James Earl Jones, ahead of Field of Dreams.
I agree. Field of Dreams bored me to tear, to be honest with you. I found it very hokey and overly dramatic / sentimental

Don't get me wrong, I like Field of Dreams, but I just prefer The Sandlot. I think it kind of goes with your point about the Americana of it, and what you and GSD were saying. Even if you didn't grow up in the era that the Sandlot takes place in, you understand the idea of being a kid, and getting into trouble with your friends and just having a fun summer. While the Sandlot romanticizes that idea, Field of Dreams sort of romanticizes the idea of that idea, if that makes any sense. I think they are both very solid movies, and I may like the Sandlot more because I've loved it since I was a kid, but it's the winner for me.

Plus it has Karen Allen in the only non-Indiana Jones or Animal House role I can think of for her. And man, is Denis Leary perfect for Smalls' step-dad

"The Beast was the most perfect junkyard dog that ever lived. A true killing machine. But after a while, the cops started getting phone calls from people reporting all the missing thieves. The ones the Beast had killed. It added up to about 120, 173 guys! It's true!"

ADVERTISEMENT