ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: class of 2016

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
Obviously, this is a very meaningful class for us. And Roy knows it. That's why he's offering scholarships like a dude walking through a parking lot and putting coupons on car windows. I'm not making fun. I like the approach. But I can't keep up with everyone that's received an offer. So I was hoping some of y'all could help compile a list of offers for the 2016 class in this thread. Then we can discuss who's likely, who's not, what each brings to the table, preferences, etc.

Here is who I know have offers:

Bigs:
Harry Giles
Bam Bam Adebayo
Sacha Killeya Jones
Jarrett Allen
Tony Bradley
Marques Boldin
Dewan Huell
Lauri Markkanen

Wings:
Jayson Tatum

Guards:
Malik Monk
Dennis Smith
Kobi Simmons
Seventh Woods

What is our current scholly situation. I think we will go into 2015-2016 with one free. Then we know we are losing Marcus, Brice and Joel. So that makes 4 open for the 2016 class. I anticipate at least one early entry (most likely Justin but don't sleep on Kennedy) and no more than two. So I think 5 scholarships is the number we're working with. Can anyone confirm?

So with 5 scholarships to give out and needing bigs in a major way, I would say 3 bigs and 2 others?

My prediction for the 2016 class:

Bam
Bradley
Markkanen
Woods
someone not currently on the list - will need a wing.

With those commitments, we'd have 2 bigs that can play underneath and a stretch 4. We'd have Woods as the lone guard but we'd still, in theory, have Berry, Britt, Williams and Pinson on the roster and Felton coming in the following year. It wouldn't be a stellar class, but I'd give it a B+.

Thoughts?

Add Javin DeLaurier to your offered list. I believe that he's the only one you missed . .

I think we can safely omit Malik Monk and Jayson Tatum as possibles to our '16 class, as we've never really been in contention for either one.

Jarrett Allen and Marques Bolden are both Texas kids, but, our track record for grabbing a Lone Star state prospect is weak at its best. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for them.

That leaves us 10 that are still very much in play for Roy.

Of those, I think Roy is just not feeling it with Giles or Adebayo, which is why we have seen the flurry of offers to other recruits of late. Because of the Giles and Bam feeling, I don't believe Smith will be at UNC . .

Depending on when Sacha sets his timeline for announcing, he could go either way, if its in the fall, its not gonna be us, if he waits until next spring it will be us.

My gut feeling at the moment :

Woods
DeLaurier
Bradley
Markkanen

Maybe adding a Curtis Jones, or a Markelle Fultz (if offered)

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I really wonder WTF is going on with Bam?? I mean moo..really? I knew when Theo committed and Giles was sitting beside him and Theo put the UNC cap on Giles and he almost broke his arm taking it off....it was not happening for us. Some of these kids should realize that if they weren't star basketball recruits they wouldn't even be allowed on campus. The dook thing is nothing but a bandwagon/frontrunner effect.

I really wonder WTF is going on with Bam?? I mean moo..really? I knew when Theo committed and Giles was sitting beside him and Theo put the UNC cap on Giles and he almost broke his arm taking it off....it was not happening for us. Some of these kids should realize that if they weren't star basketball recruits they wouldn't even be allowed on campus. The dook thing is nothing but a bandwagon/frontrunner effect.

"The dook thing" is how recruiting works now. These recruits today either want to cluster up with their friends at top schools (Dook, UK) for 1 year or go to a school to be the top dog (NC St.) for 1 year. There is rarely a top recruit that wants to compete for 2+ years, a la UNC.

That being said, clearly our lack of interest with OADs has burned us. So many turned up their noses to the idea and now these top recruits hardly even give us the time of day...

Some thoughts, and apologies for the length of post.

It looks to me that Roy is kinda caught at the moment.

Top talent want to start, play and dominate straight away. So what does Roy do? If he lands Giles and another 5* big (a centre) does he turn around to one or both of his McD AA seniors in 2016 (Hicks & Meeks) and ask them to come off the bench?

How would Roy look in that scenario? Opposing coaches would have a field day. They'd point to those two, highlight their "slow development" and lack of starting op (at least for Hicks) and use it against Roy!

Ditto with Joel Berry. If Smith really is "all that and more" would he get the nod over a Junior JB? I'd hate to see three upperclass McD AA's riding the pine!

It's for these reasons I think Roy is casting a wider net. He seems to be looking for players in 2016 who don't necessarily need/want to start.

SKJ and Delaurier won't threaten Meeks and Hicks, while adding valuable depth in the front court into 2017 when Meeks and Hicks will have graduated.

Going back over Roy's recruiting in the last 10 years, there's been a his fair share of top 10 talent, but rarely has he had 2-3 top 10 players in any one class. And when he's pulled successive monster classes the players were always complimentary (rarely recruiting "over the top" of another)

Also, only two were OAD (Marvin and Brandon) and while Brandon started, Marvin played 6th man on a championship team. In fact, I reckon he intended Marvin to play with Tyler H in 2006.... now that would have been nasty!

It seems Roys system is more geared to a top 5-10 player who sticks for 2-3 years rather than the OAD flash in the pan player. I don't know if there are any players like that anymore, but I'm guessing that's what Roy wants.

Finally, there's the academic issue. No, not the 'scandal' but an after effect that may be keeping recruits away....... ready for this conspiracy theory:

There is sure to be a ton of academic scrutiny around UNC players for a good time to come. Class attendance, grades and authenticity of work will be closely watched. How many OAD players with no real academic ambitions want to go through that? Forget sanctions, this might mean real work!

It's a cynical view and I'm not saying all top 10 players are thinking that way, but who knows if it's another "whisper" being used against the Heels on the recruiting trail?

Top talent want to start, play and dominate straight away. So what does Roy do? If he lands Giles and another 5* big (a centre) does he turn around to one or both of his McD AA seniors in 2016 (Hicks & Meeks) and ask them to come off the bench?

How would Roy look in that scenario? Opposing coaches would have a field day. They'd point to those two, highlight their "slow development" and lack of starting op (at least for Hicks) and use it against Roy!

Ditto with Joel Berry. If Smith really is "all that and more" would he get the nod over a Junior JB? I'd hate to see three upperclass McD AA's riding the pine!

It's for these reasons I think Roy is casting a wider net. He seems to be looking for players in 2016 who don't necessarily need/want to start.

SKJ and Delaurier won't threaten Meeks and Hicks, while adding valuable depth in the front court into 2017 when Meeks and Hicks will have graduated.

Going back over Roy's recruiting in the last 10 years, there's been a his fair share of top 10 talent, but rarely has he had 2-3 top 10 players in any one class. And when he's pulled successive monster classes the players were always complimentary (rarely recruiting "over the top" of another)

Also, only two were OAD (Marvin and Brandon) and while Brandon started, Marvin played 6th man on a championship team. In fact, I reckon he intended Marvin to play with Tyler H in 2006.... now that would have been nasty!

It seems Roys system is more geared to a top 5-10 player who sticks for 2-3 years rather than the OAD flash in the pan player. I don't know if there are any players like that anymore, but I'm guessing that's what Roy wants.

Finally, there's the academic issue. No, not the 'scandal' but an after effect that may be keeping recruits away....... ready for this conspiracy theory:

There is sure to be a ton of academic scrutiny around UNC players for a good time to come. Class attendance, grades and authenticity of work will be closely watched. How many OAD players with no real academic ambitions want to go through that? Forget sanctions, this might mean real work!

It's a cynical view and I'm not saying all top 10 players are thinking that way, but who knows if it's another "whisper" being used against the Heels on the recruiting trail?

Hicks will play in the Nba if he works really hard going forward. JB will still be very good as well. Cynical does indeed sum it all up from here...

Miles Bridges is expected to get an offer very soon and he is interested in us.

Lotta stuff in there that I agree with. Good post.

Just made Bridges final 5 as well. We just started recruiting him and he loves our style of play. We have a real shot at this kid.

Just made Bridges final 5 as well. We just started recruiting him and he loves our style of play. We have a real shot at this kid.

I love this kid's game. He's what we have sorely needed - a bulldog; a tough guy that's not going to back down or be intimidated by any situation.

But I'm not getting my hopes up. Isn't he a MSU and UK lean?

Simmons, on the other hand, to me is not a real need and I feel even less excitement regarding a commitment from him.

We just offered Bridges. He's definitely an MSU lean but we haven't been recruiting him as hard until very recently. People were raving about him at Peach Jam. Would love this kid to come to CH.

I think everybody we are recruiting in 2016 is a lean for somebody else other than UNC ,Roy has got his work cut out for him. Syracuse has a top 5 2016 recruiting class with their NCAA issues.....go figure.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
Add Rawle Alkins to the offered list. Roy extended an offer today

Add Rawle Alkins to the offered list. Roy extended an offer today

Top 25 prospect, 6'4" 190 lb Wing that lit it up over the wknd, scoring 34 points in the championship game.

Wowza . .

images

You guys are crazy. How is it even an issue - much less a problem to avoid - that a frosh like Giles would mean a less-talented upperclassman would come off the bench? Isn't the point to put the best team on the floor? Seniority trumping talent - seems like the approach of some mindless bureaucracy, not a supposed blue blood.

You guys are crazy. How is it even an issue - much less a problem to avoid - that a frosh like Giles would mean a less-talented upperclassman would come off the bench? Isn't the point to put the best team on the floor? Seniority trumping talent - seems like the approach of some mindless bureaucracy, not a supposed blue blood.

I sort of agree with this. I think you need a mix.

Take 2005 for example. I don't think anyone would argue that Marvin Will was more talented than Jawad. That said, Jawad gave UNC that senior leadership that was so vital during that title run so he started and got more minutes than Marvin.

That said, Jawad could still ball. I'm completely against the notion of feeling the need to play mid level talent over top 20 freshman simply because they are upperclassmen.

Ross Martin at 247 said it is a weird time for UNC recruiting and the UNC fanbase is as negative about recruiting as he has ever seen. He said he would address it in an article today. I am guilty as charged and will feel a lot better when a 2016 commits.

Thanks for chiming in on how some of our fans view our team.

ya know guys, I could be having a great day going on and read these threads lately and find the need to climb a tall bridge & jump off!

Do you folks realize, that even with the talent we have that it is UNC that is the pre-season #1 ranked team in the country? Yet all I see is doom & gloom over recruiting? How good would we have been the last 2 years had PJ not messed up, think of PJ playing beside marcus? Imagine had this team not had to deal with Marcus being hurt all last season? Do ya realize we lost nearly a month of practices due to not having Pgs available to run in practice?

My point is no, we have not got what we have been used to talent wise per the rankings and yet here we are, the pre-season number 1 team yet by the tone of UNC fans of late one would think we would be lucky to make the NIT?

Kindly excuse me if I elect to not participate in the gloom and depression, please forgive me for electing to be concerned with who we have more so than who we don't...

Where is the pride of being a Tar Heel, where is the joy of enjoying who we have ? We wil get players, do you doubt UNC wil get talented solid players? We may not get the top 5 kids, OK, we will compete with who we have and Roy wil fashion a solid team out of what we have. If we can stay healtly we wil be the team every one wants ot take out next season, we are the favorites to cut down the final nets folks , I would think that would be cause more for joy than all this damn depression everyone seems to intent to clinge on to.

Where is YOUR PRIDE, have the wuffies & the dukies convinced you that UNC sucks? Cause that is never going to be my mindset. I was born in to this world a Tar Heel and I wil leave it the same way, PROUD Tar Heel and I take a back seat to no one! Kid doesn't want to be a Tar Heel fine, I don't want him, go to duke, go any darn place, we don't need ya.

Dean sealed the deal with Rasheed with the line "we will win with you and we will win with out you, are you a winner or not" ! Well, what the heck are you???

Message to anyone following UNC recruiting: Listen to the podcast!

To those who don't think the "academic issue" is playing a part: Listen to the podcast!

To those who wonder why kids are choosing other teams: Listen to the podcast!

For insight on the kids Roy has offered, and to have an idea who are still the best chances of signing: Listen to the podcast.

I just got done and Clint has real insight - he interviews the recruits, he interviews the recruit's coaches, he interviews the UNC staff. He might not be 100% right on everything, but he has a much better info, knowledge and overall idea then us middle-aged keyboard jockeys.

Disclaimer: Not a paid advert, I just found it a refreshing insight into the current situation and thought y'all might like it.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa

To those who don't think the "academic issue" is playing a part: Listen to the podcast!

For insight on the kids Roy has offered, and to have an idea who are still the best chances of signing: Listen to the podcast.

I don't wanna listen to the podcast. Just give us the Cliff's Notes version?

Reactions: GACMAN
I don't wanna listen to the podcast. Just give us the Cliff's Notes version?

I'll summarise the most important (from my opinion):

He said when interviewing recruits he's noticed a lack of excitement when discussing UNC - a change from years past.

He also said negative recruiting is alive and well out there, and not just from opposing coaches - he didn't name names but said the HS or AAU coach of an offered recruit simply told Clint: "he's not going there (UNC)... they're in trouble"

It's a sobering thought.

On the upside, he said he believes Bradley and Woods are two players who still get excited when talking about the Heels and he believes they are strong leans for the fall signing period.

Clint also believes winning cures many ills. He pointed to this years team and how stacked it is, indicating that if they go on a deep March run (April maybe?) then recruits will return.

It means that us fans will have to be realistic about the '16 recruiting class, understanding there are insurmountable forces working against Roy - but once those forces subside, Clint believes things will change again.

There was plenty more in there, but that's the best bits I got from listening the first time.

Reactions: gunslingerdick

I just got done and Clint has real insight - he interviews the recruits, he interviews the recruit's coaches, he interviews the UNC staff. He might not be 100% right on everything, but he has a much better info, knowledge and overall idea then us middle-aged keyboard jockeys.

Disclaimer: Not a paid advert, I just found it a refreshing insight into the current situation and thought y'all might like it.

SPOT-ON!!

Clint is right far more than he is wrong.

ya know guys, I could be having a great day going on and read these threads lately and find the need to climb a tall bridge & jump off!

Do you folks realize, that even with the talent we have that it is UNC that is the pre-season #1 ranked team in the country? Yet all I see is doom & gloom over recruiting? How good would we have been the last 2 years had PJ not messed up, think of PJ playing beside marcus? Imagine had this team not had to deal with Marcus being hurt all last season? Do ya realize we lost nearly a month of practices due to not having Pgs available to run in practice?

My point is no, we have not got what we have been used to talent wise per the rankings and yet here we are, the pre-season number 1 team yet by the tone of UNC fans of late one would think we would be lucky to make the NIT?

Kindly excuse me if I elect to not participate in the gloom and depression, please forgive me for electing to be concerned with who we have more so than who we don't...

Where is the pride of being a Tar Heel, where is the joy of enjoying who we have ? We wil get players, do you doubt UNC wil get talented solid players? We may not get the top 5 kids, OK, we will compete with who we have and Roy wil fashion a solid team out of what we have. If we can stay healtly we wil be the team every one wants ot take out next season, we are the favorites to cut down the final nets folks , I would think that would be cause more for joy than all this damn depression everyone seems to intent to clinge on to.

Where is YOUR PRIDE, have the wuffies & the dukies convinced you that UNC sucks? Cause that is never going to be my mindset. I was born in to this world a Tar Heel and I wil leave it the same way, PROUD Tar Heel and I take a back seat to no one! Kid doesn't want to be a Tar Heel fine, I don't want him, go to duke, go any darn place, we don't need ya.

Dean sealed the deal with Rasheed with the line "we will win with you and we will win with out you, are you a winner or not" ! Well, what the heck are you???

GREAT post Brother Dave! One of the reasons I haven't posted much lately.

Our UNC TAR HEELS ARE PRESEASON #1 this coming season, if you have been reading the post concerning the lack of interest shown by recruits wanting to come to CAROLINA. Folks, this is not a PERFECT WORLD! Be thankful for what you do have and make the most of it. SMILE-PEACE-HAPPINESS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ROY & STAFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as always, you butt-holes know where you can go......

Fellas, just FYI, Lobsters is a UK fan. He's been trying this "I'm really a Duke fan" schtick for a bit, but his UKorrupt colors bleed in his posts.

It isn't so much gloom and doom as it is frustration, mainly with the NCAA and this whole MASSIVE cloud that has hung over us for years. It has REALLY cast a shadow over the past year or so as far as the BBALL program is concerned

The NOI did IMO HELP the program and I feel like Roy is pumped and reports are that he is energized and telling recruits we are in the clear BBALL wise

What else can he say??? IMO he is not blowimg smoke, he honestly believes that and is relaying that to potential recruits

But like I and many others have been saying, we ARE facing massive negative recruiting from ALL the competitors, especially dook and Ky with Vader one of the biggest anti Carolina shills

The headwinds are still there and it will probably not be until the spring of next year , AFTER the NCAA hands down their final (at long last) decision,. that we can close this painful five year bruising that we have taken.

meanwhile all the ABCers, from Vader to Calishady to the whole lot of their vile fans, will continue to do all they can to destroy our programs ,especially basketball.

Our UNC TAR HEELS ARE PRESEASON #1 this coming season, if you have been reading the post concerning the lack of interest shown by recruits wanting to come to CAROLINA. Folks, this is not a PERFECT WORLD! Be thankful for what you do have and make the most of it. SMILE-PEACE-HAPPINESS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ROY & STAFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as always, you butt-holes know where you can go......
Thank you DSouthr. You inspired me to post this topic.

I second both David and Keyser's posts, they are both spot on. It's one reason I took a little hiatus from the board not long ago. I'm thinking of taking another due to the constant negativity on the board. I really used to enjoy coming here every day and reading about our team. Now, not so much.

If the NCAA would s**t or get off the pot, we could find some closure and move forward. Lord knows the staff is doing everything within their power to turn things around. We'll survive but it's been a painful process. A commit or two to get our '16 class started would sure be nice.

Kentucky offered Dennis Smith yesterday per 247 (I thought they already had). I don't think they will get both Smith and Kobi Simmons so maybe they aren't so confident in Simmons.

It's a forum to discuss all aspects of UNC basketball, which is exactly what we are doing.

We are all extremely excited for 15-16 season. We are absolutely loaded with some really great kids that will have a great chance to win a NC.

So you're saying because of that we aren't allowed to be concerned that we haven't had a top 50 recruit commit to UNC in over a year? That just isn't realistic. I prefer to be a rational fan that is concerned with all aspects of the program rather than sunshine and fairy tales 24/7.

I agree with everything you said!!!! I am so happy to have our team and coach that I wear Tar Heel blue every day.

I see the end of the cloud coming and I believe next year's success will open the flood gates once again. Unlike many, I am sure we only have the scandal to blame for our recruiting dip and i see the end of that tunnel coming quickly~!

Go Roy!
Go Tar Heels!

Heels are Family!

It's a forum to discuss all aspects of UNC basketball, which is exactly what we are doing.

We are all extremely excited for 15-16 season. We are absolutely loaded with some really great kids that will have a great chance to win a NC.

So you're saying because of that we aren't allowed to be concerned that we haven't had a top 50 recruit commit to UNC in over a year? That just isn't realistic. I prefer to be a rational fan that is concerned with all aspects of the program rather than sunshine and fairy tales 24/7.
God Bless you my fellow poster,and thank God we have FREE WILL.

Want to wish you a bless day my friend

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ROY & STAFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT