ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitng class of 2016

You guys had me questioning my sanity/sobriety so I went back to 247 and the player timeline shows carney committed to UNC but the commitment list shows Fake Forest. I would love to know the story behind this or maybe 247 F#c&ed up. The 1st UNC game I ever attended was against WF in 1966 and we lost and Wake is permanently on my sheet list for this reason and now it is just reinforced.

Lol! I agree with you there brother. There's zero appeal to that school, from athletic to social life.

Doe she have fmaily ties of HS coaching ties to Wake? If not, it may be about playing RB. WE began recruiting him as an A back, which means a Wingback. I think he coukd have been great at position - larger and more powerful than Switzer and therefore better able to run the ball out of the backfield. But if he wants to be an RB, then Wake might be the place.

I don't keep up with Wake anything, so I just now learned that the Deacs have another 3* RB commitment: Jamauri Wakefield of Jacksonville, FL.

Thatr makes the Carney comitmnet even more curious. Maybe he just likes the HC or RB coach of his lead recruiter.

But I stilll say that any NFL future he has will not be at RB, not as a traditional RB. It will be as an all purpose Back who can catch passes. And that means the best college experience for him would be something along the lines of our A Back, assuming that with an A Back as large as Carney he runs the ball more than Sewitzer has or should.

I don't keep up with Wake anything, so I just now learned that the Deacs have another 3* RB commitment: Jamauri Wakefield of Jacksonville, FL.

Thatr makes the Carney comitmnet even more curious. Maybe he just likes the HC or RB coach of his lead recruiter.

But I stilll say that any NFL future he has will not be at RB, not as a traditional RB. It will be as an all purpose Back who can catch passes. And that means the best college experience for him would be something along the lines of our A Back, assuming that with an A Back as large as Carney he runs the ball more than Sewitzer has or should.
Wakefield listed as an OLB on 247.

We have reports that DE Tomon Fox of Suwanee, GA has committed, as has OT Luke Elder of LaGrange, GA.

If true, we are cleaning up in GA.

About 4 years ago, someone analyzing recruiting in the South by conferences showed that ACC teams held their own in Fl recruiting - that SEC teams got the most of the Top recruits but not overwhelmingly. But that the SEC absolutely owned GA. I said then, in an article for Southern Pigskin, that a key to the rise of ACC football would be getting its share of GA talent. I also said that the ACC team or teams that led that charge should Ws increase.

I hope I was right in my predictions, and that both these guys are commits.

We have reports that DE Tomon Fox of Suwanee, GA has committed, as has OT Luke Elder of LaGrange, GA.

If true, we are cleaning up in GA.

About 4 years ago, someone analyzing recruiting in the South by conferences showed that ACC teams held their own in Fl recruiting - that SEC teams got the most of the Top recruits but not overwhelmingly. But that the SEC absolutely owned GA. I said then, in an article for Southern Pigskin, that a key to the rise of ACC football would be getting its share of GA talent. I also said that the ACC team or teams that led that charge should Ws increase.

I hope I was right in my predictions, and that both these guys are commits.
Both show on 247 as commits to UNC.
I hope we get an in-state recruit before the weekend is over.

Yeah I know that ,the emphasis was on sloppy seconds and I am not in any way insinuating any of our current recruits are but that was how it played out with Crum and we were passing on great kids in our own backyard. I also realize the increased technology and mass info sharing has really helped the rating of kids too. Playing top 20 FB will require getting some of the best in state recruits and pulling some from out of state by virtue of being a national brand.
crum wasn't recruiting to carolina he was recruiting to harvard.
different standards at the time.

In regards to Carney, look at the backs we already have. Not sure he wanted to sit and watch IMO.

We have some great commits thus far, I just hope we can keep them. Recruiting is a double edged sword at times with kids committing and then flipping when " bigger " schools come calling close to NSD.

Go Heels!!!

GA puts out a ton of talent each year ... and this year they are overloaded at the DT position ... would be nice to see UNC go in there and pull some DT's out also

GA puts out a ton of talent each year ... and this year they are overloaded at the DT position ... would be nice to see UNC go in there and pull some DT's out also

I don't think we are in tight with any GA DTs now. That could change. But as of now, I think the DTs we are highest on and have a real chance to sign are Chrisitan Colon of Charlotte and Kyree Campbell of VA. The staff is continuing to try to get 5* DT Dexter Lawrence of Wake Forest, NC to look more favorably on us.

The way native Georgian Warren is cleaning up, we might want to turn him loose on all top GA talent that is uncommitted.

In regards to Carney, look at the backs we already have. Not sure he wanted to sit and watch IMO.

We have some great commits thus far, I just hope we can keep them. Recruiting is a double edged sword at times with kids committing and then flipping when " bigger " schools come calling close to NSD.

Go Heels!!!

From people who normally know, Carney did not have a committable offer.

When you see a list of a 3* recruit's offers and there are a lot of big time schools on them you always wonder which are committable , especially earlier in the cycle when many of their top targets haven't committed.

Reactions: Raising Heel
So who do y'all think is next to pull the trigger? ;)

I have to say, I've got a few hunches, but it's just a gut feeling. Not inside info.

I can't say who is next, but now that we have a 3rd potentailly excellent OL commitment, I say we need a couple of DL commitments.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
disagree on the importance of in state talent. if we're not getting them state might and any success those players might have could cost us in future recruiting battles.
winning big would offset that but history hasn't been kind in that regard.
i still want to kick butt in nc if only to shut doeren up.

No doubt there is a benefit to winning the in state recruiting battle. However, if your state is not producing the quality and quantity of say FL, GA and other areas, why fret the situation? And yes, I do understand that the State of North Carolina has recently been a bastion of prep talent. But that pales in comparison of what you have always seen out of FL and Ga. We are talking about two states that feed big time football annually; not cyclically and both feed Bama, Auburn, UGA, UF, FSU, etc. (South Ga practically feeds FSU and UF, while South FL feeds just the U alone). And there is plenty of talent to go around. I am glad that we are now getting into those fertile recruiting grounds.

I am always amazed at how many are upset when top 10, top 5 of NC got to Bama, FSU, etc. Yet, in bball, we get the same advantage. Mack had us on that level and on our way. Unfortunately, that was not sustained and we are back to square one. Get back to that level and the border will close in our favor on a lot of the NC talent; but, we will still lose out to the big boys but not as often.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
No doubt there is a benefit to winning the in state recruiting battle. However, if your state is not producing the quality and quantity of say FL, GA and other areas, why fret the situation? And yes, I do understand that the State of North Carolina has recently been a bastion of prep talent. But that pales in comparison of what you have always seen out of FL and Ga. We are talking about two states that feed big time football annually; not cyclically and both feed Bama, Auburn, UGA, UF, FSU, etc. (South Ga practically feeds FSU and UF, while South FL feeds just the U alone). And there is plenty of talent to go around. I am glad that we are now getting into those fertile recruiting grounds.

I am always amazed at how many are upset when top 10, top 5 of NC got to Bama, FSU, etc. Yet, in bball, we get the same advantage. Mack had us on that level and on our way. Unfortunately, that was not sustained and we are back to square one. Get back to that level and the border will close in our favor on a lot of the NC talent; but, we will still lose out to the big boys but not as often.

Absolutely.

GA now produces the 3rd most football talent, behind FL, TX, and CA. And GA borders NC. And we play GT annually. UNC should focus long and hard on GA every year - and with the right coaches we can load up on GA talent - more than enough to make up for top NC talent that goes to UGA, Tenn, Clemson, FSU, VT, SoCar, ND, etc.

Excellent post.

I don't think we are in tight with any GA DTs now. That could change. But as of now, I think the DTs we are highest on and have a real chance to sign are Chrisitan Colon of Charlotte and Kyree Campbell of VA. The staff is continuing to try to get 5* DT Dexter Lawrence of Wake Forest, NC to look more favorably on us.

The way native Georgian Warren is cleaning up, we might want to turn him loose on all top GA talent that is uncommitted.

Agreed on getting Warren more involved in GA ... As far as Lawrence, the UNC D will turn some heads this year with its aggressiveness and overall improvement from last year so I think you all will have his attention early in the season. Colon & Campbell would be nice pick ups. I think any DT that signs has a good chance to see early PT ... How many DT's are your coaches going after in this cycle? 4 maybe??

Absolutely.

GA now produces the 3rd most football talent, behind FL, TX, and CA. And GA borders NC. And we play GT annually. UNC should focus long and hard on GA every year - and with the right coaches we can load up on GA talent - more than enough to make up for top NC talent that goes to UGA, Tenn, Clemson, FSU, VT, SoCar, ND, etc.
Ga produces the 3rd most football talent behind FL , TX and CA ....wouldn't that be 4th? I agree we need to recruit Ga more , but the top talent from GA usually goes to GA, FL , Auburn , Bama , FSU , Clem , SoCar and the rest of the SEC. Our commits so far from Ga rank 28th , 50th , 53rd , 82nd and 89th in the state of Ga. To be a top 20 or better team we must get considerably more of the top recruits in N.C. which has produced the 8th most in the last 5 years. I just don't agree that we are going to get enough talent from Ga to make up for losing our homegrown top talent. Ga ain't no secret! Everybody is there.

These star rankings dont mean shit with two quarters taped to em. U live and die by doing YOUR OWN talent evaluation and then developing it to fit your system. This will be the first season i believe with a whole roster of fedora recruits. So far he has failed miserably on the def side but I'm optimistic he has taken steps to fix that. Trubisky and the much heralded rb's havent produced yet. We'll see.

Reactions: nolegeorge
Agreed on getting Warren more involved in GA ... As far as Lawrence, the UNC D will turn some heads this year with its aggressiveness and overall improvement from last year so I think you all will have his attention early in the season. Colon & Campbell would be nice pick ups. I think any DT that signs has a good chance to see early PT ... How many DT's are your coaches going after in this cycle? 4 maybe??

Supposedly Shug Frazier was at the Freak Show. He is not among the highest 3 or 4 GA DTs, but he has major offers - Bama, Tennesse, Miami, GT. Maybe Warren will get his ear.

We should want 3, if we can land the quality we need. But we are losing possibilities. For example, Joe Goff was a DT we clearly would have loved as the 3rd in the class. He attends a top private school in VA and is a high character kid. He's later developing player, someone we would want for 5 years. But he committed to Navy last week.

Reactions: nolegeorge
Gilbert has narrowed it to UNC , Pitt , dook ,VT and WV. picks are 50-50 UNC and Pitt. His father attended Pitt.

Colon has become a strong Penn State lean. This sickens me because I cannot stand Penn State. My least favorite team in a conference that I dislike.

Why do you dislike them so much? Sandusky, or something else?
I echo the question. I mean, yes, Pennsylvanians sorta suck in general (They are equal parts rude Northeasterner and trashy/rowdy redneck), but I have nothing against the Penn State football program. I mean, I hated when they were winning so dang much back in the 90's. I hate James Franklin, but I don't hate the program.

Penn State would be a great get for the ACC. Thanks Maryland >:[

I echo the question. I mean, yes, Pennsylvanians sorta suck in general (They are equal parts rude Northeasterner and trashy/rowdy redneck), but I have nothing against the Penn State football program. I mean, I hated when they were winning so dang much back in the 90's. I hate James Franklin, but I don't hate the program.

Penn State would be a great get for the ACC. Thanks Maryland >:[
You pretty much asked and answered. Throw in the moronic students rioting after Paterno fired with no sympathy for the violated and bingo you have it.Oh and those ugly azz uniforms too.

Colon supposedly committing at 5 p.m. It looks like our quest for an in-state commit will continue.

You pretty much asked and answered. Throw in the moronic students rioting after Paterno fired with no sympathy for the violated and bingo you have it.Oh and those ugly azz uniforms too.

The rioting was in support of a legend, not to condone what happened. Come on, you have to know that. The emotion/passion was misplaced, yeah, but surely you can understand it.

Oh. I understand those points, but still contend Paterno was treated unfairly. The rioting was ridiculous nonetheless.
He was treated extremely unfairly, IMO. This goes back to my stance in the OOTB thread on the Charleston shooter. I do not buy the logical argument of associative blame. IMO, only the culprit is to blame.

No I don't understand rioting , burning and over turning cars and fighting with police. Especially not over a football coach (any football coach) that should have retired several years before and maybe if he wasn't senile he would have recognized Sandusky's transgressions . I guess I missed the riots over Butch's firing.

No I don't understand rioting , burning and over turning cars and fighting with police. Especially not over a football coach (any football coach) that should have retired several years before and maybe if he wasn't senile he would have recognized Sandusky's transgressions.
I'm not going to turn this into the 2835th debate on this subject, but I'm sorry, I guess I missed the part where Joe Paterno was Sandusky's 24/7 babysitter and keeper? JS is a grown man who made his own choice to commit awful crimes. It is not Paterno's job to shepherd a grown man and prevent him from committing crimes. I'll give you that rioting is dumb and accomplishes nothing.

I guess I missed the riots over Butch's firing.
Apples to oranges comparison. You know as well as I that on-campus Penn State football support is 100 on a 1-100 scale, whereas Carolina's is like a 40.

Hypothetically, (and please note I'm stressing hypothetically, I know this wouldn't have happened) flash back to like 1995 and say it came to light that Dean Smith was allegedly looking the other way while his players committed very violent crimes against other students within the basketball facilities (fights, bullying, breaking people's arms, giving them concussions, that sort of thing.....you know, just something pretty heinous, and then letting them intimidate the victims into not going to the authorities) over a long period of time, and the media started in on its character assassination of Dean Smith and calls for his firing and what not. You don't think Carolina students would've rioted?? Out of outrage over what the media was saying about the larger-than-life legend who had always, up til then, been praised for morality and wholesomeness?

I'm not going to turn this into the 2835th debate on this subject, but I'm sorry, I guess I missed the part where Joe Paterno was Sandusky's 24/7 babysitter and keeper? JS is a grown man who made his own choice to commit awful crimes. It is not Paterno's job to shepherd a grown man and prevent him from committing crimes. I'll give you that rioting is dumb and accomplishes nothing.

Apples to oranges comparison. You know as well as I that on-campus Penn State football support is 100 on a 1-100 scale, whereas Carolina's is like a 40.

Hypothetically, (and please note I'm stressing hypothetically, I know this wouldn't have happened) flash back to like 1995 and say it came to light that Dean Smith was allegedly looking the other way while his players committed very violent crimes against other students within the basketball facilities (fights, bullying, breaking people's arms, giving them concussions, that sort of thing.....you know, just something pretty heinous, and then letting them intimidate the victims into not going to the authorities) over a long period of time, and the media started in on its character assassination of Dean Smith and calls for his firing and what not. You don't think Carolina students would've rioted?? Out of outrage over what the media was saying about the larger-than-life legend who had always, up til then, been praised for morality and wholesomeness?
No...I don't think Carolina fans would have rioted. Butch had to watch over 70 + players. Paterno needed to watch one ped and it was going on in the PSU facilities right under his nose for God's sake. Come on!

ADVERTISEMENT