ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering Andy Griffith

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
All of which helps explain how Sheriff Andy Taylor evolved into one of television’s most iconic characters – a figure often referenced as “America’s Favorite Sheriff” – and why UNC alum Andy Griffith, who passed away on July 3, 2012, at the age of 86, has remained for well over a half-century one of the most beloved actors ever to loom large in prime time. (Cowboys & Indians)

Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe
still my favorite TV show of all time. sadly, he became a grade A alcoholic asshole in the last years of his life.

Andy Griffith became an drunk at the end of his life? I never knew that.
he actually battled alcoholism and anger off and on for a long time. he ended moving back to NC and died here. people who were around him the last several years said he was mean and hard to be around.

he actually battled alcoholism and anger off and on for a long time. he ended moving back to NC and died here. people who were around him the last several years said he was mean and hard to be around.
Well... I guess he was pretty old by then. I don't recall what the official cause of death was for him. I never knew he struggled with alcoholism at all!

The last thing I saw him in was a small indie film called "Waitress." He played a small, but important role.

Oh well... I still love the old AGS episodes with Don Knotts.

Well... I guess he was pretty old by then. I don't recall what the official cause of death was for him. I never knew he struggled with alcoholism at all!

The last thing I saw him in was a small indie film called "Waitress." He played a small, but important role.

Oh well... I still love the old AGS episodes with Don Knotts.
he died of pneumonia. do you remember the 2 episodes (season 3 i think) where Andy's hand was bandaged up? that came from an anger outburst where he punched out the window of a car. apparently he had a pretty wild mean streak that could show up from time to time ... exacerbated by alcohol sometimes, no doubt.

I live close to where he grew up in Mt. Airy. They have been trying to play the Andy card for years. The fact of the matter is he never came back but once and they had to name a parkway after him to get him back then. He hated the place and made fun of the people there every chance he got.

he died of pneumonia. do you remember the 2 episodes (season 3 i think) where Andy's hand was bandaged up? that came from an anger outburst where he punched out the window of a car. apparently he had a pretty wild mean streak that could show up from time to time ... exacerbated by alcohol sometimes, no doubt.
No, I don't remember that episode by that description. I probably have seen it but I just don't remember it.

Andy Griffith retired to Manteo and that's where he died.

The last time I was in Mt. Airy, they were still having Mayberry re-enactments or some such silliness.

The actress who played Aunt Bee retired to Siler City, for some odd reason.

The last time I was in Mt. Airy, they were still having Mayberry re-enactments or some such silliness.

Barney’s girlfriend Thelma Lou moved to Mt Airy several years ago to cash in on the show’s popularity. She died in a rest home there last year.

Matlock was filmed here in Wilmington and there’s numerous stories of him being an asshole to locals and business people. Wilmington seems to bring out the worst in celebs. Prob the tourists’ fault. Loved me some AGS though.

• Haha
Reactions: bleeduncblue
There was a world of difference between Andy Taylor and Andy Griffith, and anyone who ever met him can attest to that. I can offer first-hand witness of the fact that he didn't like bikers, he didn't like noise and he didn't like me.

I'm glad they buried him overlooking the water. He hated it.

There was a world of difference between Andy Taylor and Andy Griffith, and anyone who ever met him can attest to that. I can offer first-hand witness of the fact that he didn't like bikers, he didn't like noise and he didn't like me.

I'm glad they buried him overlooking the water. He hated it.
That’s cold.

Reactions: heelbent

i took my kids to Mt Airy a few years ago for the full "Mayberry" experience. Ate lunch at The Diner, rode in the squad car, walked around the Sheriff's Office. then we stopped by the Andy Griffith museum and Thelma Lou was there taking pics and signing autographs. it was an awesome day!

Reactions: bluetoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT