ADVERTISEMENT

Report from Under Armour AAU event...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...that was held this past week in the huge complex in Suwanee (just north of ATL). Went up for the finals on Saturday and hung out with a little mafia of current and former coaches (lotsa good conversation and scuttlebutt).
Anyway, some tidbits:

1. The feature attraction was of course the open division finals, in particular the loaded Canada Elite team, featuring superstar prospect, 7 footer Thon Maker, and the college coaches were out in force. But here is the best part of the whole thing for me: The Canada team was up against an unlikely foe, Team Charlotte, coached by Jeff McInnis. Unlike most of the other teams in the tourney, this was not an all-star team that scavenges players, yet they somehow made it to the finals.
Guys, I can tell ya, this was a total talent mismatch. Charlotte did not have one single high D-1 prospect on their roster (I think they have a couple of players going to Presbyterian). Hell, I could find a half dozen local HS teams around here with more talent. The 2 guys who took turns guarding Maker were my height (6'3). They were out-sized and out-talented at every position. But let me tell ya, McInnis had those boys flat-out coached up, while the Canada coach just threw em out there and let em play like most AAU "coaches" do. Jeff had taught his boys some Carolina basketball. The ran 2 versions of 50 press, used baseline and man-over doubles on Maker, stepped in on backside help to draw charges, and even ran some Point Zone. It paid off. Team Charlotte won by 10. Wow.

2. I was told that Roy and the staff were there earlier in the week, but there were still plenty of high-profile coaches on hand. In fact I had only been there a few minutes when I (almost literally) ran into Bobby Hurley (too bad I wasn't wearing a Carolina shirt, he probably would've immediately flopped ;)).

3. John Henson was there supporting some of his home folks from the Florida team.

4. As the old joke goes: Who is lonelier? The Maytag repairman or a big man in AAU ball? So much of AAU ball is Guards shooting 3s and driving where they often have no business going. They fed Maker in the post exactly twice! Now some of that was his fault for not posting deep enough but most of it was on their Guards (both of whom are high D-1 prospects).

5. Canada had a 4* forward named Justin Jackson (UNLV). Kid looks the part --- NBA body --- but not all that impressive otherwise. I'm glad we've got the real Justin Jackson :cool:

6. Speaking of which, once again in random conversations with AAU cognoscenti heard raves about our Berry/Jackson/Pinson class ("hugely undervalued" was one description)

7. There were teams playing there that were not in the Under Armour tourney. They were playing "showcase" games, in effect auditioning for shoe sponsorships. Seriously.

8. Speaking of which, one of the showcasing teams from Mississippi had the most impressive player I saw, a 6'5-6'6 wing named Robert Woodard. Kid is a natural and I would have guessed he was a rising senior. The kicker is that he just finished his freshman year which makes him 2018. Shoo-in to be a top-50 recruit... I'll be shocked if he doesn't become a 5*. Apparently the regional schools are already on him... hope Roy offers when the time comes.

Last edited:
6. Speaking of which, once again in random conversations with AAU cognoscenti heard raves about our Berry/Jackson/Pinson class ("hugely undervalued" was once description)

Dern shame injuries-sickness de-railed them last season. Hopefully they all 3 STAY healthy this season.

...that was held this past week in the huge complex in Suwanee (just north of ATL). Went up for the finals on Saturday and hung out with a little mafia of current and former coaches (lotsa good conversation and scuttlebutt).
Anyway, some tidbits:

1. The feature attraction was of course the open division finals, in particular the loaded Canada Elite team, featuring superstar prospect, 7 footer Thon Maker, and the college coaches were out in force. But here is the best part of the whole thing for me: The Canada team was up against an unlikely foe, Team Charlotte, coached by Jeff McInnis. Unlike most of the other teams in the tourney, this was not an all-star team that scavenges players, yet they somehow made it to the finals.
Guys, I can tell ya, this was a total talent mismatch. Charlotte did not have one single high D-1 prospect on their roster (I think they have a couple of players going to Presbyterian). Hell, I could find a half dozen local HS teams around here with more talent. The 2 guys who took turns guarding Maker were my height (6'3). They were out-sized and out-talented at every position. But let me tell ya, McInnis had those boys flat-out coached up, while the Canada coach just threw em out there and let em play like most AAU "coaches" do. Jeff had taught his boys some Carolina basketball. The ran 2 versions of 50 press, used baseline and man-over doubles on Maker, stepped in on backside help to draw charges, and even ran some Point Zone. It paid off. Team Charlotte won by 10. Wow.
I'm gonna throw in one more observation concerning the OAD thing. Thon Maker is a perfect example of the dilemma some of them present. For those not familiar, Maker is a legit 7-footer, athletic, has good shooting form and can flash some fancy-dan ball-handling ability. Now all that is a recruiting analyst's wet dream, and some rank him #1 (in whichever class he reclassified to on a given day) but here's the reality (and it showed Saturday):
What good, really, is a 7-footer who can do some dribble tricks?... especially if his least developed skill is post play?... a skill he sure as hell ain't gonna get any better at in AAU play. He didn't have a clue as to when and where to post, or setting up for a drop-step.
Now, can he be taught those things in college? Of course. Very high ceiling. However by the time he learns a good post game he's off to the NBA. Brice would take him to school right now. Guys like Towns and Okafor fit in faster because they had more of a post game, but even they were works in progress, so (and there was a discussion about this Saturday among us coaching geeks) Cal and K "dumb down" their offenses to accommodate the OADs. Roy ain't gonna do that (and I, for one, don't want him to).
My point is this: Should Roy take OADs? Sure. I'd take Giles or Bam, for example. But IMO he shouldn't start building his program on them, or predicating his recruiting success on them, nor should we panic when Roy loses out on some of them he goes after.
The recruiting clouds will clear soon enough and if Roy resumes pulling in core-builder classes like 2014, all will be well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT