ADVERTISEMENT

Roy sticking around for a while

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
Roy interviewed at the Western North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame:

On how much longer he will coach:

"I think from six to 10 more years. Wanda gets on me all the time about retiring, so you better not ask her. I was thinking the other day, I've been coaching 42 years (starting at Owen High in 1973) as a high-school coach, college assistant and head coach.

"That's a long time, but I think I have a few more years left. I know when I do retire, I will come home to Western North Carolina."

With all respect to Wanda, I hope she can wait the good part of another decade!

Full article:
http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/Part-1-Roy-Williams-QA-37381015

Oh man, the entire Tar Heel fan base will enjoy talking about this topic! Place me in the "happy" category. Coach Williams deserves a solid five years of coaching and recruiting after this crap goes away. There's one more Natty left in ya, Coach!

Reactions: Raising Heel
That is good news!!!!! I know Roy works hard!!!!!! Just hope he doesn't stay longer than he needs to like Bobby Bowden did. But he does deserve to leave when he is ready.

Roy interviewed at the Western North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame:

On how much longer he will coach:

"I think from six to 10 more years. Wanda gets on me all the time about retiring, so you better not ask her. I was thinking the other day, I've been coaching 42 years (starting at Owen High in 1973) as a high-school coach, college assistant and head coach.

"That's a long time, but I think I have a few more years left. I know when I do retire, I will come home to Western North Carolina."

With all respect to Wanda, I hope she can wait the good part of another decade!

Full article:
http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/Part-1-Roy-Williams-QA-37381015
...and I suspect Roy will come outta the gate this season with an especially big chip on his shoulder.
He's got the personnel and (finally) the right starting lineup ready to play some real Carolina basketball.
Bonus: Come out smokin' and watch that 2016 recruiting class shape up as well.

I would think you would have to say a minimum of 6 yrs to let the kids coming in the next few yrs know you plan to be there to coach them. Good to hear him say up to 10 also. If he stays 10 more he may end up retiring before K :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT