ADVERTISEMENT

Sacha Killeya-Jones

Mike,I don't know what to make of your comment whether good or bad..but maybe Roy has moved on from some of our major targets!!..looking at his highlights..I'm a bit surprised by the offer also..looks like a 4 year kid that can come off the bench and give you that energy...he's ecstatic about the offer though..we'll see!!

I heard that Bam Bam slid into town for a couple of pick-up games yesterday . . can anyone else confirm . . ?

I'm so glad that Roy is in charge of the Heels basketball program. I trust what he is doing with recruiting. UNC isn't the automatic spot for the big names anymore, things have just changed. We obviously still need some big names and talent to compete at the level we have, but man it's exciting to see kids that want to play for the Heels. I hope we get a couple big time recruits as well, just saying I'm glad Roy is in charge and not me.

Considering the needs we have going into next year it is imperative to cast a wider net. We can't risk having to scramble on marginal players with the next class. Hopefully this puts a little pressure on those targets to commit if they believe they want to end up here.

What are your thoughts on Roy's chances on Sacha?

Just a guess here, our chances seem to be excellent, I'd almost expect him to be our next commit. Hometown kid with an op to play for UNC/Roy . . he almost seemed shocked he received an offer.

I'd really like to see us land Javin DeLaurier, one of the nation's top 7 or 8 PFs with tremendous athletic ability, an agressive kid that jumps out of the gym . . and handles the ball very well. His upside looks to be just a bit better than SK-J's . . . hell, I believe I'd be happy with both.

Reactions: saltee123
I'll be curious to see how SKJ plays at the NBA Camp this week as his first event since backing off his Virginia pledge. Will he come out as if he has something to prove?

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
Somebody blowing smoke again? What's up David, come on, tell it...

I watch a lot of different things when I see a kid, I hate these highlite clips that get so many people excited, I am especially unimpressed when those highlites are of long guys going against much smaller competition.

For me Shasha really needs to work on his upper body strength, doesn't play well thru contact, IMO. I think he is a project, not that I would be upset for him to commit to us but I sincerely would not be excited if he did. The other kid, from best I can tell is a nice athlete but as we all should know by now, a great athlete does not always translate in to a great basketball player.

All I am saying is these kids are not on my priority list like several others are thus the reason I am not yet sold. Put it this way, if right now you could pick either Tony Bradley or Sasha, who would you take, I will take Bradley and there are about 5 other kids, 3 or 4 that we have offerred I would pick before I considered Sasha, just my opinion.

Listen to the Clint Jackson interview .....He LOVES and I mean LOVES Javin

And that is great & all, glad Clint has an opinon but the truth is I trust my eyes more than any one else's opinion. I am not dissing on either of those kids but no matter who else offers their opinions, I am not going to get as excited about those 2 kids as I would get over a commit from guys like Giles, Bam, Bradley, or Bolden. And for the record, I love the big kid out of Florida even if I can't come close to pronouning or spelling his name yet.

I can say without hesitation, I would not be happy if a comit from these 2 virginny kids cost us a major player like Bam or Giles, just being real folks.

Just a guess here, our chances seem to be excellent, I'd almost expect him to be our next commit. Hometown kid with an op to play for UNC/Roy . . he almost seemed shocked he received an offer.

I'd really like to see us land Javin DeLaurier, one of the nation's top 7 or 8 PFs with tremendous athletic ability, an agressive kid that jumps out of the gym . . and handles the ball very well. His upside looks to be just a bit better than SK-J's . . . hell, I believe I'd be happy with both.

Billy? Is this billy, really, the same billy I know? LOL Saying how much he wants a top 7 or 8 power forward when the top 1 & 2 power forwards are still considering us???

How ya feel about the number 18 center in the class? LOL

And that is great & all, glad Clint has an opinon but the truth is I trust my eyes more than any one else's opinion. I am not dissing on either of those kids but no matter who else offers their opinions, I am not going to get as excited about those 2 kids as I would get over a commit from guys like Giles, Bam, Bradley, or Bolden. And for the record, I love the big kid out of Florida even if I can't come close to pronouning or spelling his name yet.

I can say without hesitation, I would not be happy if a comit from these 2 virginny kids cost us a major player like Bam or Giles, just being real folks.

Many, myself included, felt at one point that we were probably leading for Giles and/or Bam. I now have very little confidence that we will sign either. There's an old adage that says "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". A poor 2016 class would be disastrous for UNC when you consider the number of guys we may lose after this season. We simply must sign a couple of bigs. IMO, Roy is making contingency plans. I think that is wise.

Reactions: RobJones__
If anything's going to keep Giles or Adebayo from committing to UNC, it's not going to be a commitment from either of those "2 virginny kids". Our chances with those major players are already slim as it is.

That being said, Bur is right. SKJ is going to get a huge bump in the next rankings. Sleep on him if you want.

I like the tossing names game, but could we please stick to one class at a time...2016 is up and of interest and some UNC fans are already looking at '17...I'll let Jalewk work on some kids before I focus on '17...we have got to load up in '16.

Billy? Is this billy, really, the same billy I know? LOL Saying how much he wants a top 7 or 8 power forward when the top 1 & 2 power forwards are still considering us???

How ya feel about the number 18 center in the class? LOL

LOL . . . Well admittedly, David, I don't know much, but, I did know who our starting PG was going to be last season, and that was months ahead of a couple folks.

. . and btw, can you not have a couple of PFs on the same team . . ?

Please, please, please try to answer that question in under a 1000 words . .

LOL . . . Well admittedly, David, I don't know much, but, I did know who our starting PG was going to be last season, and that was months ahead of a couple folks.

The short answer is yes. Okay David kick in with the wordiness....;)

The short answer is yes. Okay David kick in with the wordiness....;)

Oh, its coming alright . . . I'm preparing myself for another one of those classic, 13 paragraph, naturally long winded essays of his on why UNC shouldn't be recruiting Sacha Killeya-Jones or Javin DeLaurier, and he'll then question Roy's mental state of mind . .

Roy wants 3 Bigs in 2016. 2 of which do NOT need to be 1 & dun.

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner, yeah Mike!
3 bigs is the number how they will be configured is the question. When one looks at the kids we are offering, Roy is out there for all the top 10...and kids in the next 10...and kids in the next ten and so on...unfortunately, we will be waiting until this fall and then late spring 2016 to see who goes where. Will the Heels get everyone they are after? NO, but they will get the kids that want to be in CH, want to play, that want to learn the game and prepare for life after college ball, for some the NBA.
One huge plus in the 2017 class is Jalek, hope the kid brings a few of his friends!

I don't think it was any coincidence that Javin and SKJ were offered a scholarship the same day/weekend Bam was on campus. Between the 3 Bam would clearly be the 1st option but Roy knows what he's doing. Imagine being on campus when you know as a player that you're a priority only to see 2 offers go out to the same position.

I'm convinced it was a move to build that sense of urgency in Bam. That's just a sales 101 move.

But landing SKJ OR Javin would be a HUGE addition. SKJ blew my expectations out of the water when I watched him recently. Javin as well but for different reasons. Roy is doing a great job of targeting recruits that can co-exist with their abilities.

Reactions: dadika13
I don't think it was any coincidence that Javin and SKJ were offered a scholarship the same day/weekend Bam was on campus. Between the 3 Bam would clearly be the 1st option but Roy knows what he's doing. Imagine being on campus when you know as a player that you're a priority only to see 2 offers go out to the same position.

I'm convinced it was a move to build that sense of urgency in Bam. That's just a sales 101 move.

But landing SKJ OR Javin would be a HUGE addition. SKJ blew my expectations out of the water when I watched him recently. Javin as well but for different reasons. Roy is doing a great job of targeting recruits that can co-exist with their abilities.

I think this is an interesting take. Don't know if I agree with it completely, but it made me think and I always enjoy that.

Part of me says this is just Roy doing due diligence but the timing was pretty odd.

Anyone who says we can't have offers out to 3 guys at the same position is insane. No way we get all 3 and if by some miracle we do, then obviously the 2nd to commit knew the 1st was there and the 3rd to commit knew the first 2 were there so obviously the kids are ok with it.

It's like saying Booker wouldn't commit with Harrison there, Lyles with KAT and WCS, Tyus Jones with Quinn Cook, etc. etc. Happens all the time at other programs.

OK billy, sit back, kick ya shoes off and get ready to read! LOL

It really isn't a question of having more than 1 power forward, very few teams have just one power forward. The issue is more that we have a strong need to get very productive power forwards and a limited number of schollys. We are not hunting minnows, we are looking for trophy fish, we are looking for guys like Giles, Bam, and a few others I would get to before I gut to this kid. No offense intended to the kid, if he becomes a Heel I will welcome him with open arms.

BUT BILLY, you tell me, in all honestly, where do these 2 kids fall in your wish list of front court guys in this class? My top 3 are (in order of my preference) Bam, Giles, & Tony Bradley. As of right now, don't care what anyone is tellin ya, we have a VERY solid shot at those 3 fellas, which one would you pull just so we could snag the 2 kids from virginny?

Look, it isn't me trying to diss either of those kids, it is just I have other priorities that I like more.

Oh, its coming alright . . . I'm preparing myself for another one of those classic, 13 paragraph, naturally long winded essays of his on why UNC shouldn't be recruiting Sacha Killeya-Jones or Javin DeLaurier, and he'll then question Roy's mental state of mind . .

Billy, I NEVER once said I didn't want us recruiting either of those kids. I would think with all the words I tend to use the need would not exist to put additional words in my mouth I was not considering using.

I want you to tell me that the top 2 kids on YOUR priority list are these 2 kids because if they are not then you agree with me even if ya don't want to admit it.

As a casual observer, I would opt for my list (same as David's) of the in-staters of Bam and Giles and the big kid in Fla, Tony. Since Brandon decided to go to the dark side it is imperirtive we get these two in-state kids. The kids in Va are a fall back position and very good players. Roy has kids on his list that back up his first ten. They are good but let's remember for many of the top 50-60 kids, what separates them are fractions...miniscule amounts in rankings. And as we all know as soon as someone (Roy, Self, K, Izzo, Cal etc.) is in on a kid rankings change for a variety of reasons.
2016 is an important class for UNC.

My son is attending V.E.S. basketball camp this week. The instructor is Curtis Staples. I'm sure you all remember him well. But he's the head coach at VES which is where SKJ attends. I spoke with Curtis yesterday when I picked my son up from camp. I asked if SKJ was going to be a part of the camp at all this week and sadly, he isn't. I told Curtis my son and I were disappointed by that because we had some things to discuss with him. This conversation took place with the Carolina logo prominently displayed on my golf shirt and my son's new light blue and white basketball shoes glimmering under the gymnasium's lights. He said that us, along with everyone else, would like to discuss some things with SKJ. Then Curtis told me a funny story. He said that early in the day, the campers were divided into teams according to age group. The teams had to get together and pick their team name - all ACC schools. Curtis told me that everyone in the group voted for the team name to be the Virginia Cavaliers. He said that my son was adamantly against it, and vehemently lobbied to adopt the North Carolina Tar Heels as the team name. He said that a few kids were just like, "whatever" but there were some that changed their minds based on my son's compelling argument. I chuckled.

My son is attending V.E.S. basketball camp this week. The instructor is Curtis Staples. I'm sure you all remember him well. But he's the head coach at VES which is where SKJ attends. I spoke with Curtis yesterday when I picked my son up from camp. I asked if SKJ was going to be a part of the camp at all this week and sadly, he isn't. I told Curtis my son and I were disappointed by that because we had some things to discuss with him. This conversation took place with the Carolina logo prominently displayed on my golf shirt and my son's new light blue and white basketball shoes glimmering under the gymnasium's lights. He said that us, along with everyone else, would like to discuss some things with SKJ. Then Curtis told me a funny story. He said that early in the day, the campers were divided into teams according to age group. The teams had to get together and pick their team name - all ACC schools. Curtis told me that everyone in the group voted for the team name to be the Virginia Cavaliers. He said that my son was adamantly against it, and vehemently lobbied to adopt the North Carolina Tar Heels as the team name. He said that a few kids were just like, "whatever" but there were some that changed their minds based on my son's compelling argument. I chuckled.

Ah yeah, the Staple gun, dude was kryponite for us! LOL

OK billy, sit back, kick ya shoes off and get ready to read! LOL

It really isn't a question of having more than 1 power forward, very few teams have just one power forward. The issue is more that we have a strong need to get very productive power forwards and a limited number of schollys. We are not hunting minnows, we are looking for trophy fish, we are looking for guys like Giles, Bam, and a few others I would get to before I gut to this kid. No offense intended to the kid, if he becomes a Heel I will welcome him with open arms.

BUT BILLY, you tell me, in all honestly, where do these 2 kids fall in your wish list of front court guys in this class? My top 3 are (in order of my preference) Bam, Giles, & Tony Bradley. As of right now, don't care what anyone is tellin ya, we have a VERY solid shot at those 3 fellas, which one would you pull just so we could snag the 2 kids from virginny?

Look, it isn't me trying to diss either of those kids, it is just I have other priorities that I like more.

I would love to have Giles, Bam and Smith and any other " trophy fish "as you like to refer to them that Roy offered early on. But, my wish list hasn't been fulfilled too many times of late due to the lingering scandal problems and that may carry over for a while longer.
As 2016 class is a make or break class to keeping UNC out of the bottom cellar of the ACC, I would be happy at this point in time with any combination of must have big men that Roy has offered so far.

Roy knows he simply must have some talent in this class or he will likely face one of his worst season(s) he has ever faced as a head coach. Regardless of what he is telling our targeted premium recruits, other coaches are saying and will keep saying that we are going to suffer sanctions that they will not.

With the OADs waiting later and later each year to commit to a school, you simply cannot afford to bet money on the lead horses in hopes your team will be in the winning circle for their services. A swing and a miss on Giles, Bam, Marques Bolden and Dewan Huell without offering others would be a death sentence for a blue blood program like UNC's, because of the cupboard of big men we will have available is all but bare after this year.

So, because of our current unknown status with the NCAA going forward, I would indeed be very happy with Bradley, Killeya-Jones and DeLaurier even if it meant we missed on the 4 'trophy fish' of Bam, Giles, Bolden and Huell.
Further, when it comes to Bradley, SKJ or DL, I don't even consider them minnows . . !

IMHO, Sacha K-J, Bradley and DeLaurier would flourish in Roy's system, and its possible that any or all of them might just be around for more than a couple of years.

You only have to look at the list of big men to know that Roy has altered his usual recruiting style because of the necessity of securing 3 bigs in this class. No longer is he awaiting the 'developing a relationship' avenue of offering a recruit. He has become dependent to the point of relying on his assistant coaches telling him who deserves an offer, and its because of dire necessity he has done so.

To date he has offers to 3 centers and 4 PFs, and its in my opinion that he(and I for that matter) would be ecstatic if he could get a commit from 3 of those he has sought.

The need is too great, the penalty would be too severe, to not be successful in fulfilling the program's needs of at least 3 bigs in the 2016 class.

So, to answer your question, YES . . I'd gladly take the 'minnows' in hand, than wait and be scorned by 'trophy fish' because Kentucky, dOOk, Kansas or another school hooked them and that left us empty-handed.

Truth is Billy, and as you know, Roy is in on about 15-18 kids in the '16 class...he who commits gets to play for the Heels. So are we in on top 10's sure, and the next ten and so on, sure thing, just what you and David are discussing. Don't forget we may even have a "fur-in-er" lingering out there, ... Also in the '18 class, as of now,there are no bigs of any concern. Most of that class are all four other spots, SF's, F's, SG's and G's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT