ADVERTISEMENT

Sad Story on One of Your Own

packinga

Senior
Oct 3, 2001
Don't know if this was already posted on this site. I don't care what school you pull for or say you dislike. When you hear about a story like this, you have to feel sad and pull together and hope he gets the help he needs, Very sad story.

Former UNC Football Player Homeless

I did not recall his name, but I do recall feeling that our LT on Mack's final 2 teams was excellent and should have an NFL career.

Is this a case of concussions only? Maybe, but I doubt it. Nobody was as aware then as we are now that head injuries could be so bad long term. But concussions were acknowledged. There is no evidence that he had a series of head ringers, as, say, Steve Young did.

I think the article shows the underlying issues. He became depressed when he did not make the NFL. I think he had underlying mental health issues independent of football injuries. Obviously, head injuries would make that underlying condition worse, perhaps much worse.

But whatever is the source of his current status, there should be no doubt that football head injury is part of the reason. There really is no way any of us can say what would be best to help him now. Most p[eoople in this type shape are very hard to help, for all kinds of reasons. It takes on site professionals with experience working with the homeless and alcoholcs and drug addicts to know what is most likely tp help with minimal negative repurcussions in specific cases.

But for football, I think we must see even more flags for all kinds of hits to the head, as well as with the head. It is not simply a problme whe a defender uses his helmet to hit a ball carrier in the helmet. It is a problem when a strong player forearms, or even slaps, any player in the helmet. It is a problem when a blocker uses his helmet to block.

If we don;t get ahead of this problem, the game will be hurt long term.

It's been making the rounds today. Tragic story.

I understand some posters on TOS have reached out to his family, former teammates and coaches, and the current administration to see if there's any way to help him. Of course he has to want help, and the article sounded like he might not. Hopefully somebody can get through to him and change his mind.

just saw this on Lee Pace's twitter and retweeted by UNC Tar Heels twitter account:

Kevin Guskiewicz & UNC Center for the Study of Retired Athletes are ready to treat Ryan Hoffman; now to locate him.

Dont want to sound corse but until professional medical personnel examine him you can not just say his predicament is derived from concussions, drugs, genetic depression, a whole host of issues, or a combination.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Can't tell if OP is subtly trolling or is genuine.
Could be either. There are ABCers everywhere who would read a story like this and get their panties all creamy with delight becuase to them it proves that UNC is evil. A former player for theor school now living on the streets certainly would never mean anything like that.

Originally posted by Lawyer Mike:
Dont want to sound corse but until professional medical personnel examine him you can not just say his predicament is derived from concussions, drugs, genetic depression, a whole host of issues, or a combination.
That's a point I made. It most certainly is severa;l issues combined.

Wjat is good for all players is medical care for research reasons for guys like him. And if he will agree, he will get that and play his part of helping others.

Of course, the article's writer notes that he prefers living on the streets. He also may refuse to go to UNC to participate in any medical treatment.

I hope they can get him help soon. If UNC can waste $ 3 million on a useless report, then they can certainly use some funds to help him.

Can happen with a player from any school.

Head trauma and even addiction can strike anyone.

I hate reading about these things. Really sad.

This situation is probably, maybe not in the same form, but happening more than we like to believe. Scary now what is happening physically to so many who have played the game. Something has to give somewhere with all the concussions and post career issues. Don't know what the answer is, but the hope is that some things change or these situations will continue to multiply. Sad story, football has a crisis in my opinion, something has to change.

I don't say this very often,,,

But kudos to UNC, the fans, and friends for reaching out so quickly and with no-strings attached.

I sincerely hope he takes the offer from UNC to help him.

Ryan Hoffman on a private plane sent by UNC on way back to Chapel Hill per chapelboro.com.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

Ryan Hoffman on a private plane sent by UNC on way back to Chapel Hill per chapelboro.com.
That is wonderful to hear!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT