ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret" Scrimmage highlights...

Honestly don’t know why we’re getting hung up on stats from what was a glorified practice session.
I am much more appreciative of the observations and analysis on how people played…. Stats can wait till real games begin.

Team looks to have a nice combination of finesse and physicality. It may have just been the highlights that were chosen to show the offensive boards, but it looks like they need to work on their outside shooting still. Bacon looks more athletic and Manek is going to be a great addition. I’m sure they’ll take some L’s early on while trying to find their chemistry, but it’s really hard for me to envision that there’s a team this season that has a higher ceiling than UNC. Anxious to see what Hubert does with this squad.

For those saying the internet rumors of us winning 94-79 are false, please tell us the info you received and who gave you your information. If not, I will continue to believe the general consensus that we won, 94-79.

@Steat
@gary-7
The guys you tagged are mostly correct. I got my information from the sources you know you can trust

The guys you tagged are mostly correct. I got my information from the sources you know you can trust

It's less about what the facts really are and more about this weird message board notion that people feel the need to be secretive and protect sources that give them marginally interesting information from time to time.

As for the actual results of the game, I really don't give a shit. It was a meaningless scrimmage that probably didn't even have a winner and loser to begin with.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
It's less about what the facts really are and more about this weird message board notion that people feel the need to be secretive and protect sources that give them marginally interesting information from time to time.

As for the actual results of the game, I really don't give a shit. It was a meaningless scrimmage that probably didn't even have a winner and loser to begin with.
I think there is one guy that posts here with inside information. It is then shared with or borrowed by other posters and presented as their own in order to gain some status.

Reactions: viking131
From another perspective, a person who receives what some might consider, "marginally interesting" info who is asked by the "source" not to divulge their identity must do so or they will receive nothing going forward. At least we have access to the small tidbit now and then so we aren't relegated to 100% wild speculation! I think it could be considered honorable to keep your word! In addition, I sift everything I get here and then decide what to accept and what to discard out of hand. It isn't important to me whether there is a source or it came from listening to a basement vent; I just take it with a grain of salt!

From another perspective, a person who receives what some might consider, "marginally interesting" info who is asked by the "source" not to divulge their identity must do so or they will receive nothing going forward. At least we have access to the small tidbit now and then so we aren't relegated to 100% wild speculation! I think it could be considered honorable to keep your word!

I get that. But that's assuming the person delivering the info is someone who I trust actually has inside info. In other words, why am I to believe that the info I'm given from supposedly an inside source is anymore than wild speculation? Furthermore, unless the anonymous source is on the same message board, how would they even know you're sharing the info?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Great points. My overall habit is to take every single claim with a grain of salt even if I believe the person is connected. I have received several tidbits from friends, family, and former players in my long fandom history-but I have no sources now. One of my cousins is a former football player and another was a bball player, I have friends who are former football players too + (and I am not proud of this) a friend who once played for the Rat Lord-in my defense he hates him, and I knew peeps in the Player assistance program in the past. When I did, I would sometimes give the tidbit and sometimes just sit back and laugh at the speculation. But the point is if someone says they can't divulge their source, I may be a little more sensitive than most, but I would assume it is honest!

Players, coaches, professors, family members, and donors do visit these sites and some of them are regulars! This I know for sure! Word always leaks out once it is posted so that is how they might learn if their trust was broken.

I get that. But that's assuming the person delivering the info is someone who I trust actually has inside info. In other words, why am I to believe that the info I'm given from supposedly an inside source is anymore than wild speculation? Furthermore, unless the anonymous source is on the same message board, how would they even know you're sharing the info?

Sometimes you don't have to be an insider to be the first to know about situations. The secret is researching the internet for information. Believe me, it is out there if you search long and hard enough. For example, I follow 88 former UNC players on Twitter. These players post some credible information.

I'm pretty sure I was one of the first (non-insider) to know that GG Jackson was going to be at Late Night. How did I know that? I visited the Gamecocks Rivals site and read an interview the beat writer had with GG Jackson where he said he was going to visit UNC the middle of October (Late Night was October 15th). I ran with it and it turned out to be correct. I didn't mention it on this board, but I mentioned it on Premium. I would not call this scoop inside information. It's called digging in my book.

I have become a friend of the lead basketball insider of Rivals (Rob Cassidy). We chat occasionally on twitter.

Here is a snippet of our conversation yesterday.

Rob Cassidy
@Cassidy_Rob

Replying to
@OpeningDayNFL
Id feel pretty good if I were UNC, yeah. Haven’t spoken to anyone about that visit though

12:06 PM · Oct 28, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Bottom line, I am careful on what I post on this board. I know a lot before you guys, and that is the same situation as the other guys on this board that also are members of Premium.

Take it for what it is worth. I don't think there is anyone on this site that think they know more than anyone else. You can believe or not believe what they post.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anyone on this site that think they know more than anyone else.

Well, that's where you're wrong. I definitely think I know more than everybody else.

Oh, wait...you mean about the scrimmage? My bad.

Well, it just so happens that I formed a really solid relationship with someone on the basketball staff just this morning. I don't want to say who, but believe me, it's a solid contact. I look forward to giving the board the nitty gritty as my contact passes on information. Follow me.

1. It's a public message board (and free in this case), and
2. You might be quite surprised as to who reads it.

Firing squad at dawn!

We will miss Ol' Gary, he was a true Tar Heel Patriot.....if only he could have recognized that Joel Berry wasn't perfect!
Ha! Perfect? No, but IIRC (and I do), I told y'all before he stepped on campus what he was gonna accomplish here (and we came within an eyelash of a 2-fer), so I'll gladly take my bullet on that stand! 😎

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I get some info from multiple folks that I have talked to over the years. Many times I am asked to either keep it to myself or couch it as my opinion plus a little bit more than just my own opinion. You learn pretty quick to respect those types of requests else that is the last tid bid that will be shared with you. And frankly, I want to know more than I want to share. You should be able to notice in what I share here that I try to be very careful in how I choose my words, that I will use terms like in my educated opinion or something that indicates that it is not just my own opinion or that my opinion is framed by what I have been told. For example, right now I feel really good about GG Jackson, I do because of some things I have heard from the UNC end but also some things I have gleaned from the kid's side of the table. Yeah, I know more about GG than I am going to share but I have shared all that I can. Me, I personally prefer to have 3 separate sources before I trust it and even then I know we are dealing with 17-18yr old kids that change their minds several times every day.

I never really guess but there are times I disagree with what I hear and at times boards like this make me laugh at how hard some folks work to makes folks think they have a clue about what they are talking about. When I discover someone is really looking to paint the picture that they are nothing close to what they claim, I usually let them be, so what is my view, if they need that to make themselves feel better about themselves there is no need for me to out them.

Have said many times, I treat this place just as if we were in a bar just talking Tar Heel stuff, I don't say a word here that I am not 100% willing to say to you face to face and frankly, I prefer talking to folks face to face. I choose my words harder here than I would if we talked face to face or even on the phone. Bottom line is if I like you I like you, if you are my friend I got your back, that is the world I grew up in. I may disagree with my friends, may in some cases dramatically disagree and as opiniated a cuss as I am, I do try to soften my words as best I can. I actually HATE to say negative things about specific Tar Heel fans, even if at times I see them as jack arses. And my best friend is a dukie, a big time dukie, you can imagine some of the face to face discussions we have had, some have gotten really tense and I am saying that as nice as I can.

All I can tell you is this, garner as much info as you can before you form your opinion but once you do man up because you are just not always going to be right in the out come. My track record is pretty darn good and yet I am comfortable with folks that do not agree with me. The only thing I can tell you when it comes to recruiting is you hear things in a snap shot of time and in time things change and that is especially true when we are dealing with 18yr olds. I was 18yrs old once but I do recall how the world was not as simple then and how every day seemed different, depending on what side of the bed I woke up on! LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT