ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP...Kenny Williams?

I believe it has to do with his financial status. I think GIA covers more than a scholarship. Both count towards our allotted number of 13.

A grant-in-aid is financial assistance designed to cover the following for student-athletes:
  1. Tuition
  2. Room and Board
  3. Student Fees
  4. Textbooks
Schools award athletic scholarships as a portion of the full grant-in-aid amount. The NCAA determines what portion of the grant-in-aid amount can be provided based on the sport and the division.

Division I basketball and FBS football scholarships are awarded at 100% of the grant-in-aid amount, which is why you often hear the terms used interchangeably. Basketball gets 13 scholarships while football gets 85 scholarships.

Things get weird when you start talking about non-revenue sports. For example, the NCAA allows Division I baseball to award 11.7 scholarships, i.e. the equivalent of 11 full grants-in-aid plus 70% of another grant-in-aid. If I'm not mistaken, almost every other DI sport besides basketball and football has these partial grants-in-aid as part of the number of scholarships they're allowed to award.

[Edit to add:] By saying Williams received a GIA, it's the same as saying he received a scholarship.

From what I've heard and how I understand it, it also has to do with the fact that he signed an LOI already (VCU) then backed out of it. Could be wrong though.

Ghost,

I just read the story that prompted your question. Seems you're asking why it says Maye signed an LOI but Williams signed a GIA.

An LOI contains a promise from the school to provide financial aid after the recruit passes admissions. The GIA is the actual financial aid agreement. I think all it's saying is that Maye hasn't been through the admissions process while Williams has.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, though. As my wife will tell you, I'm wrong a lot. ;)

Yeah the story did get me to thinking about what the difference was. Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it. Have been a Tarheel basketball fan since the Phil Ford days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT