ADVERTISEMENT

So, Your Thoughts...

"but there was no drinking and the guys mostly just chilled out and kicked back while things got crazy at the pool."

Sounds awesome. Those duke folks really know how to party.

Reactions: Raising Heel
How many in that photo op at the "party" are still enrolled as student/athletes in Derm? If any, then we have an impermissible benefits issue, if not then it's a party attended by some potential NBA'ers...

Reactions: saltee123
How many in that photo op at the "party" are still enrolled as student/athletes in Derm? If any, then we have an impermissible benefits issue, if not then it's a party attended by some potential NBA'ers...
2 out of the 4

2 out of the 4

Remember the Marvin Austin Tweet? Well this seems to be right there as far as I can tell tonight. However, do not look for ANY of the local media to attempt to follow up on this. That would be because UNC is NOT involved (All imo)...

From Article: At the time, it was believed to be a minor ripple. There was the belief in the first month or so that this issue would be isolated to two players, Austin and Greg Little, with each probably missing just the opener versus LSU in Atlanta. Those pie-in-the-sky predictions soon caved to the reality: the NCAA had launched a full-blown probe of the entire football program.

* So, when does the NCAA start their investigation concerning Duke University Basketball?

* So, when does the NCAA start their investigation concerning Duke University Basketball?
You're still missing the point.

The NCAA didn't start an investigation of UNC because of Marvin Austin's tweet. They had begun gathering evidence long before that ever happened because of the flurry of agent activity around the football program.

You're still missing the point.

The NCAA didn't start an investigation of UNC because of Marvin Austin's tweet. They had begun gathering evidence long before that ever happened because of the flurry of agent activity around the football program.

Marvin's tweet pushed the entire issue over the edge... I am not missing anything here...

What does that even mean? Are you suggesting the NCAA wasn't going to pursue a case, but was convinced to do so by a solitary tweet?

That's just silly.

I could be wrong, but didn't the NCAA make a pretty quick U-turn when McC*nt went on TV? Versus Willingham's tiring crusade?

I could be wrong, but didn't the NCAA make a pretty quick U-turn when McC*nt went on TV? Versus Willingham's tiring crusade?
I sincerely doubt the NCAA cares very much about them. Neither is a credible source.

The reason the NCAA reopened the UNC case is because Nyang'oro and Crowder had agreed to cooperate with the Wainstein investigation. From the press release:

"The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has received a verbal notice of inquiry from the NCAA that it will reopen its 2011 examination of academic irregularities. The NCAA has determined that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak with the enforcement staff."

News media implied that was a reference to McCants and/or Willingham (you were misled, as were most readers). For context: McCants' name is mentioned 39 times in the Wainstein report (including footnotes). Willingham is mentioned 15 times. In contrast, Crowder appears 467 times and Nyang'oro appears 304 times. Those are the people the NCAA wanted to talk with, because they obviously had intimate knowledge of the irregularities. McCants and Willingham are both disgruntled nobodies with an axe to grind.

OK ChapelHeeled -- I looked at the link. This is the same TMZ that tries to find bad stuff going on everywhere, right? Paparazzi stuff. And these are the only things that come up in pictures? The TMZ photographers are independent stringers that get paid for finding juicy, provocative, embarrassing stuff. Do these seem provocative to you? These guys are really out of control...

I am pretty sure the NCAA will check it out. Pretty sure there isn't much of anything there.

Lance Thomas refused to cooperate. Duke players are receiving all kind of impermissible benefits and the NCAA is turning a blind eye.

Bur-Heel -- I don't know. That is why I said, "I am pretty sure the NCAA will check it."

I could be wrong'.

Yes you could be wrong. In fact I firmly believe that you are wrong. There are questions raised just by the Duke players with eligibility left being there with their now professional ex-team members. However, your paint brush only splashes light blue it would seem to me. Good luck with your take on this one though...

I honestly don't care. If you dig enough on any program, you will find infractions. I just prefer to worry about on court and on field performance and try to ignore the rest.

Yes you could be wrong. In fact I firmly believe that you are wrong. There are questions raised just by the Duke players with eligibility left being there with their now professional ex-team members. However, your paint brush only splashes light blue it would seem to me. Good luck with your take on this one though...
Hey CH -- This is amazing!! Duke fan thinks the Duke players probably didn't do anything wrong. Heels fan _firmly_ believes otherwise, more news at 11. I'll be watching. Which teams picked up Jahlil and Tyus? What's their salary? I think I missed it. Will that be on the news too?

As mentioned -- I could be wrong. Don't think so, but hey I could be.

Paint brush splashes light blue? Heck yeah, but I really do try and leave it on the basketball court. As I have mentioned on this board many times. I think the main reason Duke is as good as it is stems mainly from the rivalry with UNC. I am not expecting anyone here to reciprocate -- just my opinion. The two programs are the preeminent college rivalry (in my humble opinion). The current situation with UNC will not help Duke or the ACC -- the quicker it is resolved, the better everyone will be -- I could be wrong. Don't think so, but hey I could be.

Reactions: tw3301 and dbav
Hey CH -- This is amazing!! Duke fan thinks the Duke players probably didn't do anything wrong. Heels fan _firmly_ believes otherwise, more news at 11. I'll be watching. Which teams picked up Jahlil and Tyus? What's their salary? I think I missed it. Will that be on the news too?

As mentioned -- I could be wrong. Don't think so, but hey I could be.

Paint brush splashes light blue? Heck yeah, but I really do try and leave it on the basketball court. As I have mentioned on this board many times. I think the main reason Duke is as good as it is stems mainly from the rivalry with UNC. I am not expecting anyone here to reciprocate -- just my opinion. The two programs are the preeminent college rivalry (in my humble opinion). The current situation with UNC will not help Duke or the ACC -- the quicker it is resolved, the better everyone will be -- I could be wrong. Don't think so, but hey I could be.

news at 11. I'll be watching. Which teams picked up Jahlil and Tyus? What's their salary? I think I missed it. Will that be on the news too?

The wrong question will always receive the wrong answer. The actual (non-) question is who are Jahil and Tyus' agents now? T%hat is where the professional portion of your lacking post misses the boat completely! I am glad to see that you apparently are keeping an eye on this Tar Heel website as well. Why don't you just revive your entire existence on earth and paint all of your finest shirts the true Carolina Blue hue that I feel certain they are lacking. It is a very freeing experience when it is actually lived. On the other hand I can not stand oversized high school type gymnasiums. Neither do I like cracker-boxes that are smelly from being overheated with greasy people. I guess that I am simply glad that all of those Duke foundations are painted "Dook Blue". Then again, I am also glad that they are in Derm. One more hint to you: The next time that you ask about a player's pro team when they leave college you should actually keep quiet and think. Their signing with an agent is the true measure along with leaving their names in the Nba Draft. Have a great day and try a real slice of "Blue Heaven" at your earliest convenience. You will truly become born again. Liberation at UNC is the greatest experience in life!

LTDukeFan, I'll ask you the same question I asked Bearman and got no response. What's the difference between what happened at UMass with Camby and what happened at d00k with Maggette? Both players took money in high school and there was no proof that either Cal or K had any knowledge of it. Yet UMass had to forfeit a FF appearance and d00k's title was left intact. I've yet to meet a d00k fan who can explain this to me. I'd be interested in your take.

will the NCAA view this as an improper benefit like they did our football team when a few players went out to spend a weekend with a former tar heel that was now in the NFL?

hmmmmm

Let's dumb this down here. How is hanging out with your friends an impermissible benefit? Lets say they go to a bar, and one guy got the first drink and the other got the second drink. Technically is that an impermissible benefit? I mean this is so stupid. What are they going to look into? The TMZ link said they weren't even drinking, and i'm not sure what other benefit they could have gotten haha.

Reactions: dbav
The "other benefits" could be how the current dook players got to the party, where did they stay, who bought their meals? Did they pay their own way? Do they have receipts for the airfare to prove they paid? Did they sleep on someones sofa? If so,did Okafor or whomever charge them for that as the NCAA demands? Can't crash for free, you know.

Drinking or not drinking isn't the issue.Hanging out with friends isn't the issue. While I agree it's stupid that anyone should be punished for that, I doubt the the dookies would be forgiving or willing to give the benefit of the doubt if this involved Carolina players.

LTDukeFan, I'll ask you the same question I asked Bearman and got no response. What's the difference between what happened at UMass with Camby and what happened at d00k with Maggette? Both players took money in high school and there was no proof that either Cal or K had any knowledge of it. Yet UMass had to forfeit a FF appearance and d00k's title was left intact. I've yet to meet a d00k fan who can explain this to me. I'd be interested in your take.

The scream of "Maggette!" has been a go-to for many for a long time, but in most instances they don't really know all the details. Maggette took $2000 from his AAU coach when he was 16 (well before he was affilitated with Duke in any way). Camby's infractions (taking money from an agent) occurred while he was a student and player at UMass. That is a very important distinction.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
The "other benefits" could be how the current dook players got to the party, where did they stay, who bought their meals? Did they pay their own way? Do they have receipts for the airfare to prove they paid? Did they sleep on someones sofa? If so,did Okafor or whomever charge them for that as the NCAA demands? Can't crash for free, you know.

Drinking or not drinking isn't the issue.Hanging out with friends isn't the issue. While I agree it's stupid that anyone should be punished for that, I doubt the the dookies would be forgiving or willing to give the benefit of the doubt if this involved Carolina players.

These are very valid questions, however, there seem to be many here ready to cry violation without any answers to them. I think that's important.

Last edited:

Here are a couple of links Archer. You can give them a read.

LA Times - Maggette
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/apr/02/sports/sp-ncaa2

NY Times -- Camby
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/09/sports/umass-and-uconn-lose-96-honors.html

As dbav pointed out -- the infraction with Maggette occurred before he entered Duke. The total was $2000. Camby received $28000 plus some other benefits that he received from a couple of sports agents during his time at UMASS.

news at 11. I'll be watching. Which teams picked up Jahlil and Tyus? What's their salary? I think I missed it. Will that be on the news too?

The wrong question will always receive the wrong answer. The actual (non-) question is who are Jahil and Tyus' agents now? T%hat is where the professional portion of your lacking post misses the boat completely! I am glad to see that you apparently are keeping an eye on this Tar Heel website as well. Why don't you just revive your entire existence on earth and paint all of your finest shirts the true Carolina Blue hue that I feel certain they are lacking. It is a very freeing experience when it is actually lived. On the other hand I can not stand oversized high school type gymnasiums. Neither do I like cracker-boxes that are smelly from being overheated with greasy people. I guess that I am simply glad that all of those Duke foundations are painted "Dook Blue". Then again, I am also glad that they are in Derm. One more hint to you: The next time that you ask about a player's pro team when they leave college you should actually keep quiet and think. Their signing with an agent is the true measure along with leaving their names in the Nba Draft. Have a great day and try a real slice of "Blue Heaven" at your earliest convenience. You will truly become born again. Liberation at UNC is the greatest experience in life!
Hey CH -- I think the biggest question(s) would be "How was the trip paid?" and "Where Tyus' and Jahlil's agents there?" Those are the big outstanding ones. I think the question that anyone looking into any impropriety would be what is the exchange of benefit -- what is the quid pro quo.

That CH is why I said that I might be wrong.

Hey CH -- I think the biggest question(s) would be "How was the trip paid?" and "Where Tyus' and Jahlil's agents there?" Those are the big outstanding ones. I think the question that anyone looking into any impropriety would be what is the exchange of benefit -- what is the quid pro quo.

That CH is why I said that I might be wrong.

Well at least you NOW see that you are wrong. My summarization of the Nba Draft and the Former Duke players well out of town (Durham) should have been very, very easy for you to understand. Again apparently, you now have seen the light and once again present the wrong question to this most improper situation (jmho). I feel certain that airline tickets grow on trees in Durham after reading your epiphany. Additionally, meals, rental cars and/or cab fares are all also free. Furthermore, any night club acts and/or other entertainment is ticketed by the gracious trees in Durham that alas one can conclude must grow so freely green in Durham. Spending money is also not a problem for any of your "star" athletes.?! You can rest assured of one thing, I frankly do not buy any of these assessments. Neither do I believe that Lance Thomas was eligible when Duke won its championship in 2010. Hell_o Lance wore a shiny black diamond watch (from all that any reasonable person could conclude; imo, fact) to the Celebration on the Duke campus afterward in one photo that I have seen. Regardless, Duke is tainted in my opinion. That is now and will continue to be the absolute real truth seen here...

The scream of "Maggette!" has been a go-to for many for a long time, but in most instances they don't really know all the details. Maggette took $2000 from his AAU coach when he was 16 (well before he was affilitated with Duke in any way). Camby's infractions (taking money from an agent) occurred while he was a student and player at UMass. That is a very important distinction.

Both players were ineligible regardless. If you're going to vacate at one school, you have to vacate at both. Either you played an ineligible player or you didn't. It isn't rocket science.

But, even if Maggette took the 2K BEFORE he was at dook. Taking the 2K makes him a non-amateur and therefore intelligible by NCAA standards.

My thoughts are pretty simple on this, the duke basketball players (Matt Jones & Jefferson) seem to have done the VERY same thing our football players got hit for a couple years back.

But the NCAA is not going to do anything about it because it is duke and for some reason the NCAA feels duke is untouchable.

My thoughts are pretty simple on this, the duke basketball players (Matt Jones & Jefferson) seem to have done the VERY same thing our football players got hit for a couple years back.

But the NCAA is not going to do anything about it because it is duke and for some reason the NCAA feels duke is untouchable.

And this is why it is pointless to worry about the NCAA at UNC or any other school. Who cares if another school is seemingly violating every rule in the book? Plenty of opposing fans can point at plenty of UNC stuff that was never sanctioned and bitch and moan, so let them be the ones who whine about what the NCAA did or didn't do.

(Not saying you are whining DSouthr- yours was just the last post in the thread.)

Reactions: Raising Heel
And this is why it is pointless to worry about the NCAA at UNC or any other school. Who cares if another school is seemingly violating every rule in the book? Plenty of opposing fans can point at plenty of UNC stuff that was never sanctioned and bitch and moan, so let them be the ones who whine about what the NCAA did or didn't do.

(Not saying you are whining DSouthr- yours was just the last post in the thread.)

Fairness is not in the rule book apparently. Otherwise Duke basketball would have already been under the microscope in my humble opinion...

Fairness is not in the rule book apparently. Otherwise Duke basketball would have already been under the microscope in my humble opinion...

Every school should be under a microscope if you want full enforcement of NCAA rules.

My point is though is why point fingers, especially when we are dealing with and NOA right now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT