ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to think Roy's mass offers isn't a shotgun approach but more a desperation approach...

imajericho

Hall of Famer
Aug 26, 2012
Pittsburgh
We need recruits bad for next year and I am not sure we are going to be getting them anymore. = / I think Roy is getting desperate.

I don't think we are getting a punishment besides scholarships, but it doesn't seem to matter anymore. We are known too much as a school who caters to upperclassmen, that can't adapt to the players and instead tries to force them into the system, that you can't go and be one and done at, and that doesn't develop you into a star (we have had no real stars in the NBA since Lawson).

I hope I am wrong, but Jalek's comments combined with the offer situations where recruits seem to be more into Wake or NC State than us has me thinking we are reeking of desperation at this point.

Reactions: duke198025
I don't think it's a desperation thing . This ncaa stuff needs to be over with asap so the recruits can come on down to the hill. roy feels confident nothing major will come out of this. You got to try and keep up with the Duke and Kentucky programs.

Reactions: Jarrod Hardy
We need recruits bad for next year and I am not sure we are going to be getting them anymore. = / I think Roy is getting desperate.

I don't think we are getting a punishment besides scholarships, but it doesn't seem to matter anymore. We are known too much as a school who caters to upperclassmen, that can't adapt to the players and instead tries to force them into the system, that you can't go and be one and done at, and that doesn't develop you into a star (we have had no real stars in the NBA since Lawson).

I hope I am wrong, but Jalek's comments combined with the offer situations where recruits seem to be more into Wake or NC State than us has me thinking we are reeking of desperation at this point.

Serious question: Is there an actual fact and/or actual factual question being asked? I honestly must have missed it if there was/is/is not one being asked?

Not really. It's just Roy's way of temporarily coping with the negative recruiting and lies of his opposition. He may not be able to "select" as he once did for a while, but Roy is basically saying 'give us some decent talent and we'll still coach 'em up better than anyone else'.
The NCAA has no legitimate grounds to take any scholarships, BTW, and once that crap is over and done with the effectiveness of the negative recruiting goes with it.
Now I will say this and I've said it before, this is a critical season for Roy to get it right on the court, and that starts with the right lineup from the get-go. There's neither time nor room for any of last season's nonsense. Jes sayin'...

WE have a ton of offers out, I do wonder how we can put out so many offers and yet make some of these guys feel like their offer from us is special.

if you were in Roy's shoes, how would you handle it? if the elite recruits that have always bled carolina blue are unable to demostrate a firm commitment, as a coach, i am not sure you have a choice. as the saying goes.... it is what it is. when this ncaa things has run its course, we will all be able to move past this.

Not the end of the world but I don't think the Heels will land a 5 star guy from this point on until the NCAA stuff passes, probably have some Kenny Williams 4 star guys and a few 3 star guys for a couple of years... Just a good time to see if Roy can coach with Maryland type talent instead of Duke Type talent..

It's not desperate. You have to do what you got when you aren't having luck with the top targets. Cast a wide net which are some really good players and see if the interest is mutual. Mainly these are the type of kids Roy been offering lately who really likes UNC or grew up a fan, that we been missing out in the past . We may or may not get them but I love this approach my Roy until we get everything with the NCAA situated.

Its not a desperation approach IMO, what he has done though is abandon his age old style of first having to watch the recruit himself, second to building that personal relationship with the recruit through numerous phone calls, text messages and on road visits. Instead, he is now entrusting what his assistant coaches are telling him about the recruit and does he warrant an offer.
Third, he also is no longer putting a lot of weight of asking a recruit to visit UNC before extending offers to those that may or may not truly be interested in UNC.
Fourth, he is no longer prioritizing recruits by waiting on their decisions before offering another recruit. All too often, after Roy/UNC as scorned by a targeted player, we found ourselves being late to the recruitment of another. DaveSouthr addresses this point in his post above.

Because Roy is looking at bringing in such a large class (5 or 6), and the current status of possible sanctions, I think Roy has done what is needed for this 2016 class.

Maybe someone else can confirm the numbers, but don't we have 17 confirmed offers out there? By comparison UK has like 16. Again someone might be able to confirm that.

Reactions: Jarrod Hardy
Maybe someone else can confirm the numbers, but don't we have 17 confirmed offers out there? By comparison UK has like 16. Again someone might be able to confirm that.

!7 it is.

Giles
Smith
Adebayo
Monk
Alkins
Allen
Bolden
Bradley
Bridges
DeLaurier
Killeya-Jones
Ferguson
Fultz
Huell
Markkanen
Simmons
Woods

Reactions: stamm29 and CJBlue
I don't see anything wrong with Roy offering all of those players.
I get the feeling in my gut the reason for all these offers is that he doesn't really expect to land any and is hoping he can snag one he might not have previously thought he could.

A lot of times in the past we would offer people and they would shoot up the rankings once they scouted the people we were recruiting and saw why.

Now, it seems like you could just say we just took the 25 and offered basically everyone not already committed.

I am not sure how many of those offers are even with any expectation of signing.

Also, I am thinking a lot of recruits are keeping blue bloods on their list only to keep hype for their name up to "increase" their brand.

Like, how many of you despite knowing Tatum was going to Duke still brought him up constantly and kept up hope and etc for him.

I think we all know we weren't a serious option.

Maybe I am getting overly pessimistic, but Jalek's basically saying he decommitted with his words has me pretty down in the dumps.

You know, Roy just can't win. When he doesn't offer "the right players", or "enough players", or "waits too long" on so and so who "everybody" "knew was going somewhere else", fans give him grief. And when he does offer "a lot of players", fans give him grief. No wonder he doesn't put much stock in what us fans think or say.

This is seriously insane! I have watched this board for longer than I can remember and the complaint has always been that Roy would not adjust to the current times. He wouldn't offer all the top talent and stuck to just the few he chose. Now he does what has been called for and gets slammed for it.

WOW. It is a silly opinion.

Roy is a genius and I am so happy he is fitting in with the other approaches.

Heels are Family!

What does this have to do with his ability as a coach? I am saying I think he can't recruit due to what is going on and is getting desperate.

I think the main problem is a combination of recruits not knowing what the NCAA will do along with Roy's lack of one an done kids over the last 12 years. When you only have two kids that are one and done in a matter of 12 years and you are trying to recruit 5 star talent that all believe they are one and done, you are going to have trouble, especially with Cal and K both promoting the one and done strategy. Personally, I would like for Roy to use this strategy for 1-2 guys a year and mix them with 3-4 year guys. It would greatly change his reputation on the circuit if he could produce some one and done players over the next few years.

I think the main problem is a combination of recruits not knowing what the NCAA will do along with Roy's lack of one an done kids over the last 12 years. When you only have two kids that are one and done in a matter of 12 years and you are trying to recruit 5 star talent that all believe they are one and done, you are going to have trouble, especially with Cal and K both promoting the one and done strategy. Personally, I would like for Roy to use this strategy for 1-2 guys a year and mix them with 3-4 year guys. It would greatly change his reputation on the circuit if he could produce some one and done players over the next few years.

The times are changing indeed but to be fair, there are a few more players that could have been one and done but chose to come back. Harrison Barnes, Ed Davis, Justin Jackson off the top of my head. If you are an uber talent, roy will play you as a freshman.

my gut and again it is only my paunch speaking here...is that NONE of theses kids will choose Carolina before next spring .WHY?

NCAA pure and simple

We are done for Giles IMO He says he is making a decision In the fall. Count him out and any other kid who wants to decide before next spring

We will be meeting with NCAA in the fall as best as I can tell and THEIR decision probably will not come before the first quarter of 16 meaning that we will FINALLY get a resolution to this sometime in the March/ April time frame

Again IMO I think we will be happy with that decision and if it is the kind I think it will be, look for numerous commitments after that time.

Roy goes after several oad's every cycle..he just don't land them..can't believe the perception is that he doesn't recruit those guys!!

Maybe I am getting overly pessimistic.....

All respect I think this line is at the heart of your OP.

UNC survived the 8 win season and it'll survive this too (while still putting a very good team on the floor in 15/16)

Hang in there and keep the faith!

All respect I think this line is at the heart of your OP.

UNC survived the 8 win season and it'll survive this too (while still putting a very good team on the floor in 15/16)

Hang in there and keep the faith!
Hi Ozheelfan. I like your SPIRIT!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! Shame an outsider can see this better than our own folk.
I see it..just tired of repeating the same old facts when it comes to this recruiting drought!!..NCAA gone and at least a final four appearance will get recruiting back on track!!...there,I said it for the last time!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT