ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Movies

UNC71-00

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2003
Saw Mad Max last weekend and it was f'ing awesome. Headed off to Jurassic Park in a few minutes and sort of pumped, but almost would rather see Max again.

Any others of note to see? Any of you boys and girls seen the Avengers or Spy?

I am just now rewatching all the Mad Max movies since I haven't seen them in so long. I'm about halfway through Thunderdome right now.

I am just now rewatching all the Mad Max movies since I haven't seen them in so long. I'm about halfway through Thunderdome right now.

Did you see Fury Road?

Oh, and Jurassic was pretty good. Glad I saw it instead of re-watching Max. Next up is the Avengers.

Did you see Fury Road?

Oh, and Jurassic was pretty good. Glad I saw it instead of re-watching Max. Next up is the Avengers.

I haven't yet. I will wait for it to come out. I seldom go to the movies.

I've seen a handful of this year's summer movies so far, and plan to see many more. The ones I've seen so far (in chronological order) are:

Furious 7: Even though this was released in April, I'm counting it because many theaters are still showing it and it made a ton of money, which is what you usually think of when it comes to summer movies. I actually highly enjoyed this movie. You basically know what you get with the Fast & Furious series (fast cars, hot women, action scenes, some cheesy dialogue) but I actually feel once the Rock joined the series, they've really just leaned into all of those characteristics and embraced the silliness, which makes it better in my opinion. This was a fun, action packed ride that if you can put aside how silly some of it is, you will really enjoy. I also was a little surprised at how touching the tribute to Paul Walker at the end of the movie was. Definitely something I didn't expect from this series.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: I'm a self-admitted comic book movie fan, so I probably have some bias here. There were parts of this one I liked more than the original, and some things I didn't like quite as much as the first. This movie has a lot of laughs and incredible action sequences. If you like the first one, or really any of the movies including any of these characters, I feel like you should enjoy this one. I know some of the critics have complained that there are too many easter eggs or nods to other movies in the Marvel universe (some of which haven't even come out yet), and I get that, but I feel like it stands by itself as a really enjoyable movie.

Entourage: I haven't watched the entire series, in the process of watching it from start to finish. A friend of mine wanted to see it, so we checked it out. I didn't feel like you really had to see the series to get it, but it wouldn't hurt. Some of the things I said about Furious 7 apply here, you basically know what you're gonna get: a group of guys "bro-ing" out in Hollywood, a foul-mouthed, fast-talking agent, hot women, fast cars, etc. There were some parts that were really funny, but it definitely feels just like a longer episode of the show. If you're a fan of the show, it's worth the watch (not necessarily on the big screen), but if you never got the appeal of the show, you aren't really missing much.

Jurassic World: I really liked this movie, definitely the best Jurassic sequel for me. The original is a cinematic masterpiece, and while this new one doesn't really capture the sense of wonder that the original so often instilled, it certainly worked hard to make the action scenes stack up. Seeing it on the big screen was something I was really excited to do, because I was too young to see any of the others in the series in theaters, and I recommend the big screen experience for sure. Chris Pratt is definitely continuing his hot streak when it comes to being box office gold, but Jake Johnson stole the show for me. While there are "tense" scenes, it shouldn't be too scary, so if you're someone who had trepidation for that reason, you should be fine.

Inside Out: The newest Pixar movie is a return to form for the studio. I couldn't have been more pleased with one of Pixar's more original ideas. It really has it all. I laughed hysterically throughout at the hilarious cast (Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Bill Hader, Mindy Kaling, Richard Kind, and Lewis Black), but the movie also packs tons of heart, and if you're a softy like me, you will cry as well (everyone I've talked to who saw it cried, myself included). I know some of you may go "Cartoon? That's a kid's movie, I'm not watching it" but it really was a great movie that is equal parts hilarious and heartwarming and tells a story that I think almost everyone can relate to.

I haven't seen Mad Max yet, been trying to work it in at some point, just hasn't happened yet. May have to wait for Netflix, but I'd like to see it on the big screen. That's probably the one that's already out I would most like to see, but I'm sure I'll catch Spy, Ted 2, Pitch Perfect 2 & Tomorrowland at some point, most likely via cable or Netflix or whatever. I really want to see Dope, but I don't think it will play anywhere near where I live.

As for upcoming movies, I'm planning to see Ant-Man & Fantastic Four in theaters for sure, with Mission Impossible, Minions & Trainwreck as probable theater watches. I would like to see Straight Outta Compton, American Ultra, & Masterminds, but haven't decided if I'll see them in theaters or not. I'm not planning to see Terminator which just looks like a mess.

agree on inside out...took the kids friday and we all loved it.

lewis black was perfect for anger and he was hilarious!

was worried my youngest two wouldn't "get it" but they did.

avengers is next on our list.

btw, anyone have a secret to spending less that $70 for one adult, three kids- 12, 9, 6, popcorn, and water?

Reactions: heelz2345
Any of you boys and girls seen the Avengers or Spy?
heelz already covered (and nailed) Avengers. Saw Spy last week and it's exactly what you'd expect from a Melissa McCarthy movie. There was maybe more swearing than I expected, but some of the zingers were hilarious. Decent amount of action, a little plot twist, and Jason Statham was especially hilarious since he was basically parodying every role he's ever played. Fun movie.

Last edited:
I've seen a handful of this year's summer movies so far, and plan to see many more. The ones I've seen so far (in chronological order) are:

Furious 7: Even though this was released in April, I'm counting it because many theaters are still showing it and it made a ton of money, which is what you usually think of when it comes to summer movies. I actually highly enjoyed this movie. You basically know what you get with the Fast & Furious series (fast cars, hot women, action scenes, some cheesy dialogue) but I actually feel once the Rock joined the series, they've really just leaned into all of those characteristics and embraced the silliness, which makes it better in my opinion. This was a fun, action packed ride that if you can put aside how silly some of it is, you will really enjoy. I also was a little surprised at how touching the tribute to Paul Walker at the end of the movie was. Definitely something I didn't expect from this series.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: I'm a self-admitted comic book movie fan, so I probably have some bias here. There were parts of this one I liked more than the original, and some things I didn't like quite as much as the first. This movie has a lot of laughs and incredible action sequences. If you like the first one, or really any of the movies including any of these characters, I feel like you should enjoy this one. I know some of the critics have complained that there are too many easter eggs or nods to other movies in the Marvel universe (some of which haven't even come out yet), and I get that, but I feel like it stands by itself as a really enjoyable movie.

Entourage: I haven't watched the entire series, in the process of watching it from start to finish. A friend of mine wanted to see it, so we checked it out. I didn't feel like you really had to see the series to get it, but it wouldn't hurt. Some of the things I said about Furious 7 apply here, you basically know what you're gonna get: a group of guys "bro-ing" out in Hollywood, a foul-mouthed, fast-talking agent, hot women, fast cars, etc. There were some parts that were really funny, but it definitely feels just like a longer episode of the show. If you're a fan of the show, it's worth the watch (not necessarily on the big screen), but if you never got the appeal of the show, you aren't really missing much.

Jurassic World: I really liked this movie, definitely the best Jurassic sequel for me. The original is a cinematic masterpiece, and while this new one doesn't really capture the sense of wonder that the original so often instilled, it certainly worked hard to make the action scenes stack up. Seeing it on the big screen was something I was really excited to do, because I was too young to see any of the others in the series in theaters, and I recommend the big screen experience for sure. Chris Pratt is definitely continuing his hot streak when it comes to being box office gold, but Jake Johnson stole the show for me. While there are "tense" scenes, it shouldn't be too scary, so if you're someone who had trepidation for that reason, you should be fine.

Inside Out: The newest Pixar movie is a return to form for the studio. I couldn't have been more pleased with one of Pixar's more original ideas. It really has it all. I laughed hysterically throughout at the hilarious cast (Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Bill Hader, Mindy Kaling, Richard Kind, and Lewis Black), but the movie also packs tons of heart, and if you're a softy like me, you will cry as well (everyone I've talked to who saw it cried, myself included). I know some of you may go "Cartoon? That's a kid's movie, I'm not watching it" but it really was a great movie that is equal parts hilarious and heartwarming and tells a story that I think almost everyone can relate to.

I haven't seen Mad Max yet, been trying to work it in at some point, just hasn't happened yet. May have to wait for Netflix, but I'd like to see it on the big screen. That's probably the one that's already out I would most like to see, but I'm sure I'll catch Spy, Ted 2, Pitch Perfect 2 & Tomorrowland at some point, most likely via cable or Netflix or whatever. I really want to see Dope, but I don't think it will play anywhere near where I live.

As for upcoming movies, I'm planning to see Ant-Man & Fantastic Four in theaters for sure, with Mission Impossible, Minions & Trainwreck as probable theater watches. I would like to see Straight Outta Compton, American Ultra, & Masterminds, but haven't decided if I'll see them in theaters or not. I'm not planning to see Terminator which just looks like a mess.

You need to see Max on the big screen. It's the perfect masturdate movie as well, so really no reason not to

agree on inside out...took the kids friday and we all loved it.

lewis black was perfect for anger and he was hilarious!

btw, anyone have a secret to spending less that $70 for one adult, three kids- 12, 9, 6, popcorn, and water?
Yeah, Lewis Black was a perfect fit for that role. Almost everything he said was hilarious. I actually have met/worked with him a handful of times during my time at UNC, and he's much nicer in real life. He's still just as funny, but he was particularly funny in this movie.

I'm afraid I can't help you on that 2nd part, but I must ask, did you get popcorn/water for everyone? Because if not, that's ridiculous. I know for my ticket, popcorn, & drink, I can usually get that for 20 (just me), but I also live in a small town, so I didn't know if that was factoring in to your situation. I gotta say though, if you go to the movies often enough, most theaters/theater chains have rewards cards, and I use them all the time. You get points for every buck you spend, which then turn into free concessions or tickets. Well worth it, particularly if it costs you 70 bucks a trip.

Reactions: Raising Heel
You need to see Max on the big screen. It's the perfect masturdate movie as well, so really no reason not to
I have heard it's worth watching on the big screen, and I intend to if given the opportunity. Might just have to catch a mid-week showing or something, because I would really like to watch it

Yeah, Lewis Black was a perfect fit for that role. Almost everything he said was hilarious. I actually have met/worked with him a handful of times during my time at UNC, and he's much nicer in real life. He's still just as funny, but he was particularly funny in this movie.

I'm afraid I can't help you on that 2nd part, but I must ask, did you get popcorn/water for everyone? Because if not, that's ridiculous. I know for my ticket, popcorn, & drink, I can usually get that for 20 (just me), but I also live in a small town, so I didn't know if that was factoring in to your situation. I gotta say though, if you go to the movies often enough, most theaters/theater chains have rewards cards, and I use them all the time. You get points for every buck you spend, which then turn into free concessions or tickets. Well worth it, particularly if it costs you 70 bucks a trip.

almost did get individual for each, until the nice girl said it would cost me more...we had four bottled waters and one large, refillable popcorn.

signing up as we speak for regal card.

Reactions: Raising Heel
almost did get individual for each, until the nice girl said it would cost me more...we had four bottled waters and one large, refillable popcorn.

signing up as we speak for regal card.

Why not just smuggle your own drinks in? That's my go to move, mainly because they don't have beer or liquor at the concession stand.

Reactions: lovetheHeels!
Why not just smuggle your own drinks in? That's my go to move, mainly because they don't have beer or liquor at the concession stand.

Some Regal theaters honor the Regulator cup for $1 refills beyond the same visit, but most don't. I have been lucky to find one that does.

Regal Crown Club is essential too if you like going to the movies like I do.

cargo shorts are great for that... smuggle in your own drinks and candy; then just buy one tub 'o corn.

if it were just me, i'd do it...trying to set examples here for the kiddos though.

the theater we go to on a regular basis(because it's newer and nice) sells dinners...they have wings for f sake...can you imagine sitting next to the dude with 10 wings and nachos!?!?!?

ADVERTISEMENT