ADVERTISEMENT

TarHeelNation11 hates classic rock

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
We need to talk this out. LOL.

So you hate the lead singers from Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. I can see that...fair enough. And there have been complaints about overplayed songs, which isn't surprising considering you grew up during the era in which "classic rock" became a radio staple.

I'm wondering whether you've given any classic rock bands a fair shake. We're talking about sitting down and listening to an album from start to finish. You like Petty, CCR, and Steppenwolf. That's IT?

We need to talk this out. LOL.

So you hate the lead singers from Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. I can see that...fair enough. And there have been complaints about overplayed songs, which isn't surprising considering you grew up during the era in which "classic rock" became a radio staple.

I'm wondering whether you've given any classic rock bands a fair shake. We're talking about sitting down and listening to an album from start to finish. You like Petty, CCR, and Steppenwolf. That's IT?
I like the occasional song here and there. But 9 times out of 10, my opinion of said song will be "it's decent" never "it's amazing."

You know how there's certain bands/songs that if they come on the radio or someone else picks it, it's good enough that you'll listen without complaining, but you personally would never intentionally pick that band/song if you had the option? That's pretty much how I am with the classic rock songs/bands I find to be decent.

I mean, it's not my generation. Do y'all love 1930's-era big band stuff? If so, great. If not, that's sorta the equivalent for me and classic rock. You're asking me to like stuff that was recorded 10-29+ years before I was even born.

I'm not fond of AC/DC either but...

Pink Floyd? Clapton? SRV? Hendrix? The Stones? Beatles? Come on mannnnnn

The Rolling Stones I do enjoy a lot. They have a cool sound. Good call. The Beatles and Pink Floyd...? Meh. Hendrix is decent but I really only like his version of All Along the Watchtower, Foxey Lady, and Purple Haze. Spanish Castle Magic is alright.

Clapton? Layla is okay. "Sunshine of your Love" is decent by Cream.

I can't really express it in words because it's just a "feel" sort of thing, but older music just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's a generational thing. Maybe it's because I don't play an instrument so what I listen for/appreciate is different than what, say, strummingram listens for/appreciates. But either way, classic rock songs just don't 'jump off the page' for me, if you will.

I mean, I'm sure all these bands were cutting edge in their time and I'm sure they blew people away with how unique and new and never-before-seen their sound was. But, 35-50+ years later, it just doesn't do it for me and my ears. I'm not trying to obtuse about it or dislike it just for the sake of being different.

Like I said, there's older songs I like well enough, but only once in awhile, and never would I choose to play them if I was in charge of the iPod.

You know how there's certain bands/songs that if they come on the radio or someone else picks it, it's good enough that you'll listen without complaining, but you personally would never intentionally pick that band/song if you had the option?
Absolutely. I don't like all classic rock, and actually can't stand a good portion of it myself. But my collection contains at least one album, even if it's just a greatest hits album, from dozens of classic rock artists.

I mean, it's not my generation. Do y'all love 1930's-era big band stuff?
How old do you think we are, lol? Well, I like classical music so that pretty much covers all the bases.

It's weird indeed. Because every band that THN11 likes, would say they were inspired by Zeppelin, The Stones, Floyd, Allman Bros, The Doors, Hendrix, etc. Every ...single...one.

And I've railed in the past about something being played out too. But you know why stations play Stairway to Heaven all the time? Because it's an amazing f***ing song! That's why.

Today's music is largely unoriginal and simple. And then those that are a bit more creative often are trying too hard. You can tell that when they sat and wrote the song they were thinking, "what can I say here to come off as dark and mysterious?...hmmm". That's why I have been a fan of the Avett Brothers (as far as new bands go). Because their lyrics are poetic but simple in a Beatles sort of way; real and genuine. They're not faking it.

I almost feel like THN11 just wants to not like classic rock. It's just a stance he took and he's riding it now. Maybe not. But that's how unfathomable it is for me for someone to say they don't like the genre of classic rock.

Reactions: Old_School59
Maybe it's because I don't play an instrument so what I listen for/appreciate is different than what, say, strummingram listens for/appreciates.

I mean, I'm sure all these bands were cutting edge in their time and I'm sure they blew people away with how unique and new and never-before-seen their sound was.
This is helpful, especially when you consider both points together. Certain musical innovations that stood out at the time are basically taken for granted now. To your earlier point, growing up in that era would have made those stand out to you more.

Haha... good post. I never knew that THN didn't like "the classic rock".;)

I love classic rock, but NEVER listen to classic rock stations because they absolutely kill my desire to hear Stairway or Layla when they play the freaking same songs over and over every day (I'm looking at you, Rock 92). I'm more of an album guy anyway and prefer listening to all of LZIV or Derek and the Dominoes when the mood strikes me.

Reactions: Raising Heel
^^ Wow ok, lots of sweeping and unfounded generalizations in this post. Not even sure where to start. But I'll do my best.

It's weird indeed. Because every band that THN11 likes, would say they were inspired by Zeppelin, The Stones, Floyd, Allman Bros, The Doors, Hendrix, etc. Every ...single...one.
Not true at all. Maybe you could do a Kevin Bacon type connection where a band I like is influenced by Band X who is influenced by Band Y who was influenced by some of The Stones or something, but what you posted above isn't true.

And I've railed in the past about something being played out too. But you know why stations play Stairway to Heaven all the time? Because it's an amazing f***ing song! That's why.
That's your opinion.

Today's music is largely unoriginal and simple. And then those that are a bit more creative often are trying too hard. You can tell that when they sat and wrote the song they were thinking, "what can I say here to come off as dark and mysterious?...hmmm".
Dude...what? Now you're just making yourself look uninformed. Plenty of awesome music from today. You just have to do a little hunting for it. Also, LOL that you then use the Avett Brothers as a counterexample. I mean, yeah they're decent, but plenty of other bands would've been a much better counterexample.

I almost feel like THN11 just wants to not like classic rock. It's just a stance he took and he's riding it now. Maybe not. But that's how unfathomable it is for me for someone to say they don't like the genre of classic rock.
Lol.

Sorry for the snark, but it annoys me when people tout classic rock and claim they "just love good music" then emphatically claim "but all today's music sucks." No, it doesn't. Does Top 40 suck? Pretty much. But the best music today isn't "Top 40." I think that's a major change between then and now. Back then, all this music that y'all loved also was very successful wasn't it?

Total opposite today. Only a handful of really good bands "make it big" today. Instead, blander more radio-friendly stuff like Three Doors Down and the like, appear on the radio.

I mean, heck, it isn't like I don't give classic rock a chance. My dad was a huge Dead Head so I've heard plenty of that. So I feel I can at least stake a claim that, in general, I don't care for classic rock. Not sure how some of you can say "today's music sucks" when you probably haven't given it a fair shake.

And yes, GSD, I'm aware you like a handful of newer stuff too.

^^ Wow ok, lots of sweeping and unfounded generalizations in this post. Not even sure where to start. But I'll do my best.

Not true at all. Maybe you could do a Kevin Bacon type connection where a band I like is influenced by Band X who is influenced by Band Y who was influenced by some of The Stones or something, but what you posted above isn't true.

That's your opinion.

Dude...what? Now you're just making yourself look uninformed. Plenty of awesome music from today. You just have to do a little hunting for it. Also, LOL that you then use the Avett Brothers as a counterexample. I mean, yeah they're decent, but plenty of other bands would've been a much better counterexample.

Lol.

1 - agree to disagree - or really, I'm just gonna be right and let you be wrong.
2 - Not just my opinion, it's the opinion of music critics - people who are authorities on the subject.
3 - If it was great music, I wouldn't have to look for it. As far as the Avett Brothers go, they are the most genuine of all the bands I can think of in the last 15 years.
4 - Unfathomable. I just can't fathom it, Cotton.

^^^^ That's a pretty fair take IMO.
My dad was a huge Dead Head so I've heard plenty of that.
Didn't know that. Could save us from a lot of pain and suffering later haha.

Did/does your dad listen to a lot of classic rock? Radio or album? Because Mark's point above is a good one...the classic rock radio station format hasn't done any favors for the genre by beating the same songs to death.

The Hendrix songs you cited above are the ones that get played on the radio. Same with "Truckin'" or "Uncle John's Band" or "Touch of Gray" by the Dead. I don't want to hear any of those songs come up on shuffle because I'm sick and tired of them.

Reactions: UNC71-00
^^^^ That's a pretty fair take IMO.

Didn't know that. Could save us from a lot of pain and suffering later haha.

Did/does your dad listen to a lot of classic rock? Radio or album? Because Mark's point above is a good one...the classic rock radio station format hasn't done any favors for the genre by beating the same songs to death.

The Hendrix songs you cited above are the ones that get played on the radio. Same with "Truckin'" or "Uncle John's Band" or "Touch of Gray" by the Dead. I don't want to hear any of those songs come up on shuffle because I'm sick and tired of them.
My parents played a decent amount of classic rock when I was growing up, but not a ton of what I'd classify as "classic rock." They were album people though....they'd listen to CD's, not the radio.

I heard a lot of the following growing up:
- Van Morrison
- Tom Petty
- Little Feat (sp?)
- The Clash (who I happen to like by the way).

That's what comes to the top of my head. I'd have to sit down and think about more things they played when I was growing up. They played A LOT of the first two on that list lol.

If it was great music, I wouldn't have to look for it.
Beg to differ. You've defined popular music, not great music. Draw a Venn diagram of popular music and great music, and only a small section of the two circles would overlap.

By and large, people want to hear something that's comfortable for them to process. Limited number of chords, simple meters, verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure, a catchy melody, and maybe a good beat so they can dance to it. That's what makes music popular.

Personally, I want almost the opposite of that (except maybe a catchy melody 'cause I'm a sucker for a good hook). I want music that challenges me intellectually, preferably with thoughtful or interesting lyrics as well. Something that makes me say, "Wow, what is this?" without sounding contrived. I want music that displays a certain level of competence on the instruments being played, not some mechanized reproduction of sound. Above all, I want authenticity (a point you seem to agree on).

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
If the industry weren't in such poor shape, the great bands wouldn't be marginalized. Most people my age want to listen to some guy with half his head shaved play crap that sounds like a broken fax machine. But that is more of a reflection of consumers than the musicians.

Check out Tedeschi Trucks Band. I doubt anyone here has ever even heard of them but they are mind boggling good musicians. For some reason appreciation for musicianship was largely sold out in favor of four on the floor dance beats and overproduced generic garbage. Pretty boys used to sound like Peter Frampton. Now they sound like justin boober.

Great music ain't dead though

Beg to differ. You've defined popular music, not great music. Draw a Venn diagram of popular music and great music, and only a small section of the two circles would overlap.

By and large, people want to hear something that's comfortable for them to process. Limited number of chords, simple meters, verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure, a catchy melody, and maybe a good beat so they can dance to it. That's what makes music popular.

Personally, I want almost the opposite of that (except maybe a catchy melody 'cause I'm a sucker for a good hook). I want music that challenges me intellectually, preferably with thoughtful or interesting lyrics as well. Something that makes me say, "Wow, what is this?" without sounding contrived. I want music that displays a certain level of competence on the instruments being played, not some mechanized reproduction of sound. Above all, I want authenticity (a point you seem to agree on).
Thank you.

Check out Tedeschi Trucks Band. I doubt anyone here has ever even heard of them but they are mind boggling good musicians.
You can say the same about many other bands who aren't enjoying mainstream -- or even modest -- success.

Pretty boys used to sound like Peter Frampton. Now they sound like justin boober.
That's not really a mystery. It's a self-fulfilling thing. Back in the day, rock was the most popular music, so young kids wanted to be rockers. Now, pop is the most played music, so kids want to be pop stars. It isn't rocket science my man.

- Little Feat (sp?)

What a great band. They are often overlooked but they had a unique sound that blended many different genres. Jimmy Page stated that Little Feat was his favorite band.

Basically, by you resisting your parents' musical guidance and not liking classic rock, you're basically telling them that you hated your childhood and you don't love them. I hope you can live with yourself.

I disagree and I didn't need a diagram to do it. I am open to a lot of music. I have many friends that are musicians - some professional and some amateur. Good music finds me. I don't have to look for it.

Check out Tedeschi Trucks Band. I doubt anyone here has ever even heard of them but they are mind boggling good musicians.
Hey, give the board a little credit. I know who they are and have heard a few of their tunes. She also had a successful solo career before they joined forces. There's a cool little community radio station near Charlotte that plays them from time to time.

I never said it was a mystery why they do it... One of those guys made great music, one of them is the pretty face that sells overproduced garbage that requires no artistic talent to create. If you think I'm being overly harsh, look into modern production and mastering techniques for contemporary pop music. Its gotten completely ridiculous

Obviously that isn't what you listen to so its a separate point. I'm just saying the state of the music industry as a whole isn't good right meow. Its sad when the "authentic" stuff is relegated to niche

ROTFL! Please tell me you're typing on a phone with autocorrect right now. Because if you're not, this might be the post of the day.

88084-super-troopers-meow-game-meme-1p9D.jpeg

I like it all, u listen to my spotify and u could hear johnny cash, lady gaga, b52's, elvis, and led in order. I also listen to beethoven, pachelbel, and sinatra when the mood hits me.

Sat night we went to hear a rockabilly group in carolina beach. Had an awesome time.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I wanted to contribute just a bit here. As someone who would be in THN's peer group age-wise, I am a person who still enjoys his share of classic rock. Some of those bands made some of the greatest, most influential music ever. However, I have to agree with his point that often times, things that have been out of the zeitgeist for 20, 30, 40 years, it's hard for a person who didn't experience those things live to really enjoy them on the same level. I like my share of current popular music as well, and many things between those eras, and preceding those eras. I consider myself a man of eclectic taste. Some current stuff is really good, some current stuff is really bad. Some classic rock is really good, some is really bad.

I often think of taste in music as I do when you ask someone "when's the best time period on SNL?" Most often, your answer corresponds with your age, meaning how old you were in that group's heyday. Chances are, if your favorite time on SNL is the late 70s, your favorite music comes from that. If your favorite musical group is in the 90s, chances are, you were a big Adam Sandler and Chris Farley fan too.

I think you can find good stuff from any era or any style of music, just like you can with film, television, books, art, whatever. You just have to be willing to look

I think you can find good stuff from any era or any style of music....
Agreed, but this is why it's a little confounding that THN claims to like virtually none of the music of the genre. Then again, there are probably people who think I would be nuts for saying I don't like 99% of country music released in the last couple decades.

Hey, I honestly am not bothered by THN's musical tastes, the dude is free to like and listen to whatever he wants, same as any of you, same as me. I agree with you, I don't listen to much country music, which is almost unheard of in the part of NC where I live. So what's crazy to one person is totally normal to another.

I just am looking forward to when I'll be baffled by my children not liking music that is currently popular, or when I hear that music on "classic" stations. "This is 96.5 WQRT, playing all the classics. That was "99 Problems" by Jay-Z, and now we have Maroon 5 on the way"

Agreed, but this is why it's a little confounding that THN claims to like virtually none of the music of the genre. Then again, there are probably people who think I would be nuts for saying I don't like 99% of country music released in the last couple decades.
Hey I've said I like *some* of it! Haha. But the percentage is small. Different strokes and all that.

And to @heelz2345 and @Raising Heel , I hated country music until I took History of Country Music at UNC. Fascinating class that really expanded my horizons. So glad I took that course. Do I love all country now? Heck no, but I've learned to like a lot of stuff, be it very old or very new.

Reactions: heelz2345
Some of those bands made some of the greatest, most influential music ever. However, I have to agree with his point that often times, things that have been out of the zeitgeist for 20, 30, 40 years, it's hard for a person who didn't experience those things live to really enjoy them on the same level.

The Wizard of Oz, ...Gone With The Wind...Casablanca? Those were made 70+ years ago. But they're just as good today as they were in those days. And I like them and I certainly wasn't born anywhere near the time those films were made.

The age of the music and the age of the listener shouldn't matter. If anything, I'm more likely to be drawn to something because it's old and because I wasn't fortunate enough to have been around when said piece was made.

Reactions: heelz2345
Bump for RH. My suggestions for you and THN11's road trips are as follows:

First trip - Little Feat - Maybe memories of mom and pop playing it when he was younger would soften him up. You know, go the nostalgic angle. I can see him warming up to it.

Second trip - Marshall Tucker Band - THN11 claims to be full of Southern Pride. Maybe this will strike that nerve and then you can move away from the Southern Rock and into just plain ol' classic rock. But during this trip, he'll start saying things like, "Oh yeah, I actually love this song."

Third trip - Pink Floyd - Now, most would say go with Dark Side. But I'd probably go with Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell. Both are a little less classic rock-ie and more contemporary sounding.

Fourth trip - Velvet Underground - Now we're cranking it up a notch. THN11 is squirming a bit in his seat.

Fifth trip - Traffic - By the end of John Barleycorn Must Die, he'll be on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Sixth trip - Jethro Tull - He's about to shoot himself in the face.

Seventh trip - The Doors - yep, he just shot himself in the face.

Last trip - The Grateful Dead - and I encourage y'all to swing by and scoop up 71-00 and let him tell you about that time "I was tripping balls and saw them play this tune at RFK. It was amazing."

Second trip - Marshall Tucker Band - THN11 claims to be full of Southern Pride. Maybe this will strike that nerve and then you can move away from the Southern Rock and into just plain ol' classic rock. But during this trip, he'll start saying things like, "Oh yeah, I actually love this song."
By the way, I like Southern rock. Skynyrd, Allman Brothers (least of the ones on this list), Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, stuff like that. I don't know song names really, but I do like that stuff when I hear it. You could probably throw Alabama in there who I like as well, they sorta straddled Southern rock and (that time's version of) country pop. I mean, those acts all played up their 'Southern-ness' IMO, but the music is good.

ADVERTISEMENT