ADVERTISEMENT

TarHeelNation11 hates classic rock

Hey, I honestly am not bothered by THN's musical tastes, the dude is free to like and listen to whatever he wants, same as any of you, same as me. I agree with you, I don't listen to much country music, which is almost unheard of in the part of NC where I live. So what's crazy to one person is totally normal to another.

I just am looking forward to when I'll be baffled by my children not liking music that is currently popular, or when I hear that music on "classic" stations. "This is 96.5 WQRT, playing all the classics. That was "99 Problems" by Jay-Z, and now we have Maroon 5 on the way"

Yeah, except that will rarely happen because that music sucks.

The Wizard of Oz, ...Gone With The Wind...Casablanca? Those were made 70+ years ago. But they're just as good today as they were in those days. And I like them and I certainly wasn't born anywhere near the time those films were made.

The age of the music and the age of the listener shouldn't matter. If anything, I'm more likely to be drawn to something because it's old and because I wasn't fortunate enough to have been around when said piece was made.

You are right that it "shouldn't" matter, but more often than not, it comes into play. You are 100% right that those are all classic movies, as impressive today as they were then. However, being that I am a 25 year old, I can tell you from experience talking with many of my peers, many either haven't seen those movies or belittle their importance. I know many people that are approximately my age who will tell you that whatever the last Will Ferrell movie was is the funniest movie they've ever seen. For many people my age, new is always better.

It's hard to find a balance between appreciation for the old and new stuff. I do believe that there is a nostalgia factor at play when a person discusses their tastes in music, movies, television, whatever. It's not the only factor, by any means, but it's one of them. When certain things hit you at a certain point in your life, you are more inclined to latch on or not appreciate them depending on your upbringing, and whatever is going on in your life. Cee-Lo's "Forget You" (I would have used the uncensored title if not on a message board) is a song that I first heard after a break up and I like that song so much, and I believe it is because of where I was in life when I first heard it. On the other hand, there are plenty of songs or movies that I didn't appreciate the first or second time I encountered them because I wasn't at a point in my life where I could relate to or understand it. Didn't make them any less great, I just wasn't ready for it yet.

This, to me, is why it's important to appreciate things from all eras, because there is merit to all of it. So when talking about movies, absolutely, one needs to see and appreciate the classics, but there is also new stuff all the time that is worth seeing. I believe this applies to music as well, to anything really. So I personally try to make sure I take time to appreciate everything that I can from long ago, but also to appreciate what's being made now, and what's going to be made.

Yeah, except that will rarely happen because that music sucks.

Seems appropriate

opinionated.gif

Floyd is easily the best IMO. I like Zeppelin and a lot of the other stuff too but it is Floyd and then everyone else in terms of 'classic' rock for me.

Floyd is easily the best IMO. I like Zeppelin and a lot of the other stuff too but it is Floyd and then everyone else in terms of 'classic' rock for me.

I agree Cory. The lyrics and music were so far above everyone else imo

I know I was born in the wrong generation because I wasn't old enough to see the Dead when they played the Dean Dome. :(

Dear god...gag me with a chainsaw.

"Hey man...make love, not war. Let's all do a bunch of drugs and grow our hair and beards really long. And not bathe...and wear Birkenstocks with socks."

I thought the point might be lost on THN but it was most certainly lost on you.

What the hell has you so pissed off recently?

Reactions: Raising Heel
As a big fan of both Floyd and Zep, I'll go with Zep as the band that gave the greatest music to rock 'n roll fans. They're(Led Zep) collective work far exceeds what Pink Floyd produced . . . and actually, its not even close between the two.

Jus' saying . .

Floyd has 'Dark Side and 'The Wall' as high quality pieces . .

Zeppelin has so much more . . #s 1, 2, 3, (#4)Zoso and then you can throw in the Graffiti piece.

Zep has it all day long over PF . .

As a big fan of both Floyd and Zep, I'll go with Zep as the band that gave the greatest music to rock 'n roll fans. They're(Led Zep) collective work far exceeds what Pink Floyd produced . . . and actually, its not even close between the two.

Jus' saying . .

Floyd has 'Dark Side and 'The Wall' as high quality pieces . .

Zeppelin has so much more . . #s 1, 2, 3, (#4)Zoso and then you can throw in the Graffiti piece.

Zep has it all day long over PF . .

I agree that Zeppelin is the more outstanding band. But you're underselling Floyd. I already mentioned 2 of their albums in this thread earlier that were magnificent - Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. Furthermore, they score extra points for losing their frontman and never missing a beat. They were just as good post-Waters as they were with him.

But yeah, Zeppelin is Zeppelin. And as much as I love Floyd, they pretty much have the same sound throughout their entire existence. Zeppelin was more diverse. Their first album was so bluesey, then they went hard rock with LZII, then more folksy/acoustic in LZIII and then a big change to the futuristic stuff on Houses of The Holy. One could never argue that "all their songs sound the same". One could argue that with Floyd.

Both great, great bands.

I'm not underselling Floyd, IMO, they own 2 of the best released music works of my lifetime in Dark Side and The Wall, with 'Wall' being better than 'Dark Side' . . .

I love both bands, but, the better of the 2 was w/o a doubt, Led Zep . . IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT