ADVERTISEMENT

The benefit of fit...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
Looking at our roster coming back and then assessing who may or may not be added in, I'm going to use DSouther's narrative about guys playing in their natural and best positions. That is a huge positive that comes to mind for next season. If nothing else, JP's exit clears up the square-pegs/round-holes dysfunction.

Returnees:
We have 10 scholly players returning and we have them well-spread across positions. The (beyond) obvious staring five of Berry/Paige/Jackson/Johnson/Meeks features not only enormous fire-power and the ability to push tempo, but just as importantly puts everyone in their best-fit positions, each of whom are the best on the team at the 1/2/3/4/5 respectively.
The five backups --- White/Britt/Pinson/Hicks/James --- fill positions nicely as well, and in fact could all play together and no one would be seriously out of position. Nate showed he could be a decent backup at the 2 with his improved shooting, a healthy White may be a safer backup at PG than Nate in all honesty, and Theo is a natural 3 but also showed signs of adapting to being able to fit in as a big 2 if needed.

Additions:
As of now, we know we have Maye coming in, so there's an already physically strong kid who can give us some more depth up front and has stretch-4 skills. Bonus.

So what about the other possibilities? As for me, I'm starting at a place that the only thing that worries me about our roster is potential injury. So, do we have any absolute needs? IMO, the answer is no. More like "wants":

This may go against the grain, but IMO, Kenny Williams is the best "fit" of the remaining recruits and the closest to being a "need". He would add a legit perimeter threat to our arsenal off the bench in the immediate future, and from what I've seen and heard has the upside to grow into a major factor at the 2 in the longer term after Marcus graduates. Bonus.

That doesn't mean I have given up on or wouldn't like to get Ingram. As of this writing I think we're very much in it. Adding him would certainly add to our recruiting "cred", although that's something I don't worry too much about --- Carolina is still Carolina. If Ingram is smart he'll forget about the one-and-done --- that body needs more than one year of work. But if he is determined to be one-and-done then his value to UNC becomes more problematic. Could he accept a backup role (which is what it would be, and needs to be) and move into a larger role as a Soph? If so, Bonus. If not? Potential chemistry issues... and that would be unacceptable for a team that has every right to be favored to cut down the nets otherwise. If we sign him I will hope for the former. If we don't, I won't jump off any (figurative) cliffs..

Originally posted by topps coach:

isn"t he a transfer from VCU?
He graduates high school in 2015. He was released from his commitment to VCU . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT