ADVERTISEMENT

The Dean Smith picture thread

DeanS4-407x530.jpg

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
ec
I love the significance of this moment:

"And Dean's Smith's first reaction was to come down and console me," [John] Thompson said years later. "I hope I would have been classy enough to have done that, because I probably would have been doing what [Jim] Valvano did [in 1983]. I probably would have been running around yelling and hollering, but his thoughts were to come to his friend because he knew how I felt."

Can you imagine your first reaction being to console the guy you just beat instead of celebrating your first -- or any -- national championship? Who does that?

Dean Smith. That's who. There will never be another like him.

This post was edited on 2/9 11:47 AM by Raising Heel

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

ec

"And Dean's Smith's first reaction was to come down and console me," [John] Thompson said years later. "I hope I would have been classy enough to have done that, because I probably would have been doing what [Jim] Valvano did [in 1983]. I probably would have been running around yelling and hollering, but his thoughts were to come to his friend because he knew how I felt."

Can you imagine your first reaction being to console the guy you just beat instead of celebrating your first -- or any -- national championship? Who does that?

Here, here!

Reactions: saltee123

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

ec

Here, here!
Amen

AWESOME!!!

ec
Nice find . . . the Golden Bear actually looks very young here.

Who is the third person pictured . . ?

Originally posted by BillyL:
AWESOME!!!

ec
Nice find . . . the Golden Bear actually looks very young here.

Who is the third person pictured . . ?
Not sure. But yes, a very cool pic.

Can I ask a mod to pin this thread?

Thanks.

Originally posted by crysdawn:
ec
Never liked Rick Barnes after this incident with Coach Smith!
Maybe, the only time I saw Dean lose his cool and it only happened for a few seconds . . . . Coach Smith would protect his players. Barnes' style of play back in those days was it was okay to give hard fouls and Dean thought some went over the line.

Not a lot of love lost between those 2 coaches . .

Dean and Lefty weren't the best of friends either . . LOL . . . but, for far different reasons.

ec
Maybe, the only time I saw Dean lose his cool and it only happened for a few seconds . . . . Coach Smith would protect his players. Barnes' style of play back in those days was it was okay to give hard fouls and Dean thought some went over the line.

Dean and Lefty weren't the best of friends either . . LOL . . . but, for far different reasons.
But while Lefty and Dean weren't friends, Lefty respected Dean greatly. He told a story in an interview yesterday that when his son approached him and asked about coaching, Lefty told him he should model himself after Dean Smith. And that was there was some animosity between them. I think they became friends later in life. Lefty also said up until just a year or so ago, he would call Dean's secretary weekly just to check in on Dean and how he was doing.

Reactions: shun1 and saltee123

ec

But while Lefty and Dean weren't friends, Lefty respected Dean greatly. He told a story in an interview yesterday that when his son approached him and asked about coaching, Lefty told him he should model himself after Dean Smith. And that was there was some animosity between them. I think they became friends later in life. Lefty also said up until just a year or so ago, he would call Dean's secretary weekly just to check in on Dean and how he was doing.
Very true, their relationship was more of a competitive one with the occasional barb. Lefty namimg his dog 'Dean' . . . And Coach Smith always mis-pronouncing Lefty's last name 'Drayzell' . . .
laugh.r191677.gif

Dean's team knocked Davidson out of the '68 tourney and then again in the '69 East Regional Final when Charlie Scott lit them up in the second half. Lefty could only be left feeling a little frustrated when facing Dean . .

But, to this day, I don't think the ACC has ever had a more colorful coach within it's ranks . . . you know, "The UCLA of the East" kinda stuff.

Hey someone shoot me an email addy that will post this AWESOME picture ftom Carmichael21. It is of Coach & Bo's dad from 1958, his 1st season. Bo's dad is #22, Tom Butler. I understand his dad and coach threw the game ball in Maui 2009 & the ball is in Bo's den.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT