ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Pinson will be that sparkplug...

My only real concern about Theo is I hope his foot issue is not cronic, I believe the foot he just had operated on was the same foot he hurt in high school. I hope & pray that this issue is now in the past for him, who doesn't recall the struggles Bill Walton had with his feet.

Theo, reminds me of George Lynch, before you react, hear my case for the comparison. Lynch, like Theo are guys that get in to games and just effect the game in a positive way. Works his butt off of defense and moves his feet on defense, so he is not caught reaching like so many other defender are in the habit of, Lynch did that as well. Recall George played power forward for us at 6'7", I would suggest that Theo may cover out n space a little better than George did, at least as a freshman. Niether are/were great jump shooters but they each seem to find a way to guide the ball in to the basket. Both, VERY emotional players, both seem to have a way of having their emotions transfer to the rest of the team, very impressive in my book.

But the thing that strikes me is how Theo (George as well) just imprints himself in any game he gets in to, he tips balls, he harasses the guy with the ball, he stays in front of his man, seems to understand the timing of switches, and he has those really long arms that are so active on the defensive end. IMO, if he stays for a senior season he will be considered a better defender than Jackie , IMO he was on par with JP last season as a freshman as a defender, I really enjoyed JP & Theo on the court together on the defensive end.

I know many are worried that he will spend so much time this off season recovering from that foot that it may negative impact his soph season. Unless he reinjures it the only problem is he will not have as much time this summer to work on his jump shot, that needs a BUNCH-O-WORK. Hopefully he can get some productive time in with Hubert when he is able to run and at least get it better. I know this much, if this kid can stay healthy tar Heel fans are in for a real treat watching this kid and the motor he plays with, especially if like me you enjoy watching a good defender do his thang ! Don't be surprised to see this kid either first or second team ALL ACC Defensive team after this coming season, my bet is 1st team!

My only real concern about Theo is I hope his foot issue is not cronic, I believe the foot he just had operated on was the same foot he hurt in high school. I hope & pray that this issue is now in the past for him, who doesn't recall the struggles Bill Walton had with his feet.

Theo, reminds me of George Lynch, before you react, hear my case for the comparison. Lynch, like Theo are guys that get in to games and just effect the game in a positive way. Works his butt off of defense and moves his feet on defense, so he is not caught reaching like so many other defender are in the habit of, Lynch did that as well. Recall George played power forward for us at 6'7", I would suggest that Theo may cover out n space a little better than George did, at least as a freshman. Niether are/were great jump shooters but they each seem to find a way to guide the ball in to the basket. Both, VERY emotional players, both seem to have a way of having their emotions transfer to the rest of the team, very impressive in my book.

But the thing that strikes me is how Theo (George as well) just imprints himself in any game he gets in to, he tips balls, he harasses the guy with the ball, he stays in front of his man, seems to understand the timing of switches, and he has those really long arms that are so active on the defensive end. IMO, if he stays for a senior season he will be considered a better defender than Jackie , IMO he was on par with JP last season as a freshman as a defender, I really enjoyed JP & Theo on the court together on the defensive end.

I know many are worried that he will spend so much time this off season recovering from that foot that it may negative impact his soph season. Unless he reinjures it the only problem is he will not have as much time this summer to work on his jump shot, that needs a BUNCH-O-WORK. Hopefully he can get some productive time in with Hubert when he is able to run and at least get it better. I know this much, if this kid can stay healthy tar Heel fans are in for a real treat watching this kid and the motor he plays with, especially if like me you enjoy watching a good defender do his thang ! Don't be surprised to see this kid either first or second team ALL ACC Defensive team after this coming season, my bet is 1st team!
I have to say you have developed a large impression from such a small body of work. I have high hopes for Theo but just haven't seen all the things you have.

I have to say you have developed a large impression from such a small body of work. I have high hopes for Theo but just haven't seen all the things you have.

Completely agree with that. I've almost forgotten what the young man looks like. But I do agree that from what I saw he has potential to be a very good defender. I don't know if he'll ever be a shooter, but frankly, I'm not sure we'll ever need him to be. But he is the reason that losing JP was not that big of a deal. I think he is capable of giving us almost exactly what JP gave us last year. He has pretty good ball handling skills, passes it well, great in the open floor and will get into his guy on the defensive end. I agree with David that his hands are very active (even better than JP's). Going to need a lesson in hitting the boards and then of course if he were to develop a reliable jump shot, that's just gravy.

ADVERTISEMENT