ADVERTISEMENT

Thornton commits to Duke for 2015-16

Ugghhhh . . . my hopes for Ingram are fading.

Oh well . .

Just how does he get guys to throw away their Senior Year of High School?

Same way he intimidates the refs I 'spose . .

Didn't Alex Murphy arrive at dOOk early . . ? Andre Dawkins too IIRC . .

By winning Championships I guess.

The real, and obvious, reason is Tyus leaving and Cook graduating. Thornton isn't going to take a chance that K recruits a better PG in 16 when he is assured of a starting role on the defending national title team.

Makes sense to me as much as it hurts us.

Reactions: EmJay14
Me thinking in a bigger picture, this effects our situation with Junior (Dennis Smith) even more. When those two were in the same class, Smith more than likely wasn't going to go to Duke with another solid PG, but now that Thornton went a year early and especially to the new OAD factory, it enhances Duke's chances with Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Debo
Dawkins for sure. Don't remember if Murphy did.

dawkins just reclassed back to his natural class after classing down for basketball purpose when he started going to atlantic shores???....same deal w/ thornton...this is actual graduating class...he's 18 next month....he's not missing the traditional senior year of high school like we all experienced...he goes to findlay prep.."Findlay Prep is the premier program for freshmen through senior student-athlete basketball players who seek a college prep education on and off the court"...its just them there....they give up the traditional high school experience when they decide to go to places like findlay prep and oak hill and etc...murphy decided to come, left st marks school and enrolled at public high south kingston high and graduated and got a years start on college as opposed to going on for another prep year of not so challenging basketball

It hasn't really worked out for them in the past when they have gotten kids to do this. Bring him on. We'll still be better next year.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Just how does he get guys to throw away their Senior Year of High School?
He is at Findley prep (Factory) so its not a real HS setting and so he wont miss much and apparently he only has one class to finish, so a good choice by thornton since 2016 class is loaded at PG. I hate it though and just hope it helps with smith if we don't get ingram bc of it.!

It hasn't really worked out for them in the past when they have gotten kids to do this. Bring him on. We'll still be better next year.
Andre Dawkins won a title his first year and has played in the NBA. Sounds like it worked out pretty well for him.

Just in time for the Ingram meeting tonight.

Ugh.

Are we going to sign a legit 5 star player anytime soon or is Roy content on signing guys that take until year 3 to make an impact?

All we heard was how Meeks and Hicks were supposed to be awesome, but they are a little above average. Neither is a huge impact player.

Jackson, Pinson, and Berry were supposed to be awesome. Each showed some flashes of potential, but none of them were awesome this year.

Dook wins the title with 3 freshmen leading the way and we sit back and get the guys that take until year 3 to be impact players and then by then they aren't even that good.

Something has to change in our recruiting. Am I way off base here? Roy has won two titles with two teams where it would have been a crime to not win it all with the talent they had. Outside of that, our recruiting has been average. Am I way off here?

Are we going to sign a legit 5 star player anytime soon or is Roy content on signing guys that take until year 3 to make an impact?

All we heard was how Meeks and Hicks were supposed to be awesome, but they are a little above average. Neither is a huge impact player.

Jackson, Pinson, and Berry were supposed to be awesome. Each showed some flashes of potential, but none of them were awesome this year.

Dook wins the title with 3 freshmen leading the way and we sit back and get the guys that take until year 3 to be impact players and then by then they aren't even that good.

Something has to change in our recruiting. Am I way off base here? Roy has won two titles with two teams where it would have been a crime to not win it all with the talent they had. Outside of that, our recruiting has been average. Am I way off here?
You mean the championships he won with multiyear players? Lmfao.

You mean the championships he won with multiyear players? Lmfao.
You're probably in the minority if you attribute Duke's title to upperclassmen. Outside of Quinn Cook, with occasional flashes from Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson, this team was dominated by freshmen.

Not sure what you mean..........
He said we look for players to peak in 3 years while everyone dominates us with 1 and done players.

Our championships came from teams with multiyear players.

Felton, McCants, May juniors. Williams senior.

Lawson, Ellington, hansbrough juniors and seniors.

Reactions: racinheel
Not scared. At all. Next year is our year. Thornton, who I have not even heard of, will not change that.

Ok..that's one pg...who's going to back up?..you gotta have one!!

Kennard is slated to play a little backup PG. Not a great option, but probably good enough to give a few minute breather here or there. With that said, Duke did just win the title with Tyus Jones playing the point for 38, 40, 38, and 37 minutes in the last 4 NCAA tourney games respectively. Also, in the two UNC games, Jones played 43 and 37 minutes respectively. In other words, when push comes to shove, not sure how important PG depth is to Duke's success in the NCAA tourney and / or big games.

Andre Dawkins actually worked out pretty well. Without him, I don't think Duke beats Baylor in the elite 8 in 2010 which clearly would have meant no title in 2010.

Yes.

Reactions: RP12
Ok..that's one pg...who's going to back up?..you gotta have one!!

thornton is the primary and kennard/allen/mjones can handle pg duties when thornton is out....k will adjust the offense to the personell....4 guards @ 3 spots thus far...

K is on fire right now

Yeah college basketball ebbs and flows. After his 2001 championship, K hit a lull. He had talent with Redick and Williams but had to play them into the ground to win so they rsn out of gas. UNC is no different. They had a lull from 82 to 93, got close will Jamison and Carter in The late 90's then ebbed again until 05, then 09. Point is K will fall off for a bit and Carolina will surge back ahead just like it?has since K got to Durham.

ADVERTISEMENT