ADVERTISEMENT

Thought this deserved it's own thread...

heelbent

Who?
Mar 12, 2003
@GazettePhil: Chazz Surratt on NOA affecting UNC football:
“The coaches said that their lawyers told them 100% the football team won’t be touched.”

Welllllllllllllll now...

Reactions: UNC71-00
The pendulum is on the upswing for Tar Heel fans . . and its been a long time coming.

Friday Happy Hour starts earlier today.

:)

Reactions: heelbent
Me likey.

I honestly don't know how they can say that, though. We have no idea how the COI is going to rule. All I can think is that Bubba & Co. got some sort of gentleman's agreement that the allegations leveled against FB and MBB won't be significant enough to warrant major penalties (scholarship reduction, post-season ban, etc.).

I just don't see how they could do anything else to football...I mean this crap has been over this programs head going on 5 years now...Myself I am sick and tired of being sick and tired...From the whackpack on crack ride to the dookies on turd illustrated...And the UNC Bball fans only... I still say MBall will get something and the Women's program will be crushed.Just let the Football Program be and then we can judge Fed and company as coaches....

I just don't see how they could do anything else to football...I mean this crap has been over this programs head going on 5 years now...Myself I am sick and tired of being sick and tired...From the whackpack on crack ride to the dookies on turd illustrated...And the UNC Bball fans only... I still say MBall will get something and the Women's program will be crushed.Just let the Football Program be and then we can judge Fed and company as coaches....
Any more sanctions on FB would be double jeopardy in my opinion.

Just glad that Surratt is coming to Chapel Hill.. As a local supporter I am impressed by his skillset. The guy is an absolute baller and Im excited he will be in Carolina Blue...

Reactions: heelbent
Any more sanctions on FB would be double jeopardy in my opinion.
Eh. Not exactly. The original allegations/infractions stemmed from a mostly different set of issues: money, trips, jewelry, runner/agent issues, etc. The only overlap might be the improper tutor assistance, for which only three players and one tutor were named in the original NOA. Now that I think about it, though, I don't remember seeing any tutor issues raised in the new NOA.

Eh. Not exactly. The original allegations/infractions stemmed from a mostly different set of issues: money, trips, jewelry, runner/agent issues, etc. The only overlap might be the improper tutor assistance, for which only three players and one tutor were named in the original NOA. Now that I think about it, though, I don't remember seeing any tutor issues raised in the new NOA.
I wasn't stating a real legal opinion. I should have included it was tongue-in-cheek.

Reactions: Raising Heel
it wouldn't be double jeopardy, but it would be overkill. we have suffered more than enough.

it wouldn't be double jeopardy, but it would be overkill. we have suffered more than enough.
This. Agreed RH that although it technically wouldn't be double jeopardy, IMO it would be by default. 5 schollies lost for 3 years and a bowl ban was levied upon players and a new coach that had nothing to do with transgressions.

Some of those same players are still here, and obviously the coach is still here. So what....you're gonna punish them again? I see no reason why they can't call the bowl ban 'time served,' especially since 0 of the people associated with the team did anything wrong.

I know NCAA penalties always punish the innocent, but I think in this case, punishment has already been meted out.

^^^^ Two thoughts.

One, I've never liked the argument about punishing guys who weren't there when the problems happened. Is it fair? Of course not. But how else are you going to punish a school that breaks the rules? The system is whack but that's what we have to work with.

Second, though, is you raise an interesting point. If all of the issues had come to light simultaneously -- instead of 5 years apart -- what would the NCAA's ruling have been then? And how would it have differed from the penalties already assigned? There's an argument to be made that a cumulative punishment might not have imposed anything beyond the 5 scholarships over 3 years, 1-year postseason ban, 3 years of probation, and the fine that came down in the original ruling. Or, at the very least, maybe UNC can argue to have those penalties applied against whatever new punishments are handed out. For example, if the NCAA wants to revoke 5 scholarships over 5 years, UNC can say 3 years have already been served and therefore only be penalized for 2 additional years.

I hear you on the first part. That's the only way the NCAA can levy penalties.

As for the second part, I would be royally pissed if they put us on more scholarship restrictions. Unless it was like 2 for 2 seasons.

As for the second part, I would be royally pissed if they put us on more scholarship restrictions. Unless it was like 2 for 2 seasons.
How about 3 for 3 seasons? :p I'm half-kidding, but I would gladly take that before a postseason ban. There is real potential for some hard-hitting penalties considering the duration and extent of what has happened.

[QU

OTE="KOOL123, post: 111087, member: 10944"]I just don't see how they could do anything else to football...I mean this crap has been over this programs head going on 5 years now...Myself I am sick and tired of being sick and tired...From the whackpack on crack ride to the dookies on turd illustrated...And the UNC Bball fans only... I still say MBall will get something and the Women's program will be crushed.Just let the Football Program be and then we can judge Fed and company as coaches....[/QUOTE]

Wrong,MBall is clear.

How about 3 for 3 seasons? :p I'm half-kidding, but I would gladly take that before a postseason ban. There is real potential for some hard-hitting penalties considering the duration and extent of what has happened.

Here is whay happened: athletics dept. people did niot tell an academic departmnet that it was incompewtent and corrupt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT