ADVERTISEMENT

Tokoto shows off at NBA combine

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
Dude went 6/6 from the field in the extended scrimmage (24 minutes). Geeze, where was that last year? He also had good measureables.

Tokoto's measurements:

Body fat: 4.10% (tied for second lowest with Oregon's Joseph Young and right behind Michael Qualls' (Arkansas) 4.0%)
Hand length: 8.00 inches
Hand width: 8.75 inches
Height w/o shoes: 6-foot-5.25
Height w/ shoes: 6-foot-6.25
Standing reached: 8-foot-4.5
Wingspan: 6-foot-10
Weight: 195.8-pounds

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article21050004.html

I told you guys repeatedly that Tokoto would be a good player in the NBA. His time at UNC wasn't indicative of his true play. He is a jumper away from being Vince Carter esque.

I told you guys repeatedly that Tokoto would be a good player in the NBA. His time at UNC wasn't indicative of his true play. He is a jumper away from being Vince Carter esque.

You didn't tell me. I too thought he'd be a pro one day. But no, he's not a jumper away from being Vince. He's a jumper away from making a rotation on an NBA team.

That is a big stretch. He will end up more like Harold Miner than Vince Carter.

Is this the player that everyone said that we'd be better next year by 'addition by subtraction' . . . or was it just the "Joel Berry shoulda been starting' crowd that was happy JP left . . ?

I said, that Tokoto doesn't work well in our system in how we use him and that him leaving was best for both parties. He will gain from going to the NBA and that position is better suited for us with Jackson at the 3 and Berry at the 1.

It wasn't addition by subtraction, but more along the lines of his skill set in the chemistry of the team game plan doesn't fit well.

Reactions: Old_School59
I said, that Tokoto doesn't work well in our system in how we use him and that him leaving was best for both parties. He will gain from going to the NBA and that position is better suited for us with Jackson at the 3 and Berry at the 1.

It wasn't addition by subtraction, but more along the lines of his skill set in the chemistry of the team game plan doesn't fit well.

Okay . . . . If, you say so.

Is this the player that everyone said that we'd be better next year by 'addition by subtraction' . . . or was it just the "Joel Berry shoulda been starting' crowd that was happy JP left . . ?

Billy, if your boy Britt was good enough to get the starting job I'm sure you woulda been in the "addition by subtraction" crowd. Luckily, we have Berry so we don't have to see groundhog day on the Wisconsin fiasco

Billy, if your boy Britt was good enough to get the starting job I'm sure you woulda been in the "addition by subtraction" crowd. Luckily, we have Berry so we don't have to see groundhog day on the Wisconsin fiasco

I'm not real big on the starting of 2 small guards in our backcourt and I've stated so. So the Britt comment means little to me . .
I'd really like to have a 6'4" or larger 2 guard in our starting line-up.

Berry and Paige just ain't gonna get it for me.

jmho

Reactions: ACokeForRoy
I'm not real big on the starting of 2 small guards in our backcourt and I've stated so. So the Britt comment means little to me . .
I'd really like to have a 6'4" or larger 2 guard in our starting line-up.

Berry and Paige just ain't gonna get it for me.

jmho
Well, you either want Paige to play the 2 or you want him on the bench. He isn't a PG.

Well, you either want Paige to play the 2 or you want him on the bench. He isn't a PG.

He runs circles around Berry at the point. If, there ever was a scoring point guard that we've had of late . . its MP.

Pat Connaughton with a 44" vertical . . tying the 2nd best ever NBA combine vertical.

Whoa . . no wonder he played PF for the Irish.

He runs circles around Berry at the point. If, there ever was a scoring point guard that we've had of late . . its MP.
Billy..I love Marcus..but he has to tighten up his handles to be a back-up pg in the league(don't think he will ever be a starter)..Acie Law( the all-american from a&m some years back) is all I can think about when I see Marcus!!..nba just didn't fit his game..Marcus is better suited for the 2 spot..just wish he was 6'3!..Berry may well be the better pg prospect..but I'll wait and see..not ready to go all in on him just yet!!..our best chance to win next year though is with both of them starting!!

LOL... I like Marcus and all but to say he runs circles around Berry at the point is laughable. Marcus is a 2 guard in a point guards body. For us to see the UNC offense like past Roy teams, Berry needs the ball in his hands. Berry pushes the pace and gets in the lane better than anyone on this team.

LOL... I like Marcus and all but to say he runs circles around Berry at the point is laughable. Marcus is a 2 guard in a point guards body. For us to see the UNC offense like past Roy teams, Berry needs the ball in his hands. Berry pushes the pace and gets in the lane better than anyone on this team.

I'll be honest with ya here, I don't know what game it was this past season that you watched Joel Berry 'push anything' . . . he certainly didn't push anything any faster than Paige did,

Reactions: ltrogdon
I agree with billy. Berry has much upside. But not in the fashion of Lawson. You need to link YouTube highlights of both. That should help resolve this debate imo

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I don't know if I'd say he "runs circles around Berry", but Marcus is a better player than Joel at any position. Right now, at least.

Back to JP, I've felt for a while that he could be a Thabo Sefalosha(sp?) type of player. Obviously, JP is more athletic and he needs a bit more improvement on his jumper just enough to keep the defense honest as Thabo can.

But on the right team, I think he could have a similar role/impact at the pro level.

Tokoto is a jekyll and hyde type of player. It's the lack of consistent solid effort and performance that was so frustrating this year. A spectacular pass one moment... a bonehead turnover in crunchtime. A surprisingly smooth and unexpected 3-pointer... a bricked free throw. It's hard to deny that the talent is and always has been there. Maybe he will surprise all of us and finally be able to harness that talent and athleticism into a solid contribution on an NBA roster. I, for one, will be rooting for him.

Tokoto is a jekyll and hyde type of player. It's the lack of consistent solid effort and performance that was so frustrating this year. A spectacular pass one moment... a bonehead turnover in crunchtime. A surprisingly smooth and unexpected 3-pointer... a bricked free throw. It's hard to deny that the talent is and always has been there. Maybe he will surprise all of us and finally be able to harness that talent and athleticism into a solid contribution on an NBA roster. I, for one, will be rooting for him.

I agree....You are who you are...JPT is a great athelete, but needs work on the mental/concentration part of the game because he does tend to play out of control at times, but like many Tarheel fans I wish nothing but the best for him in the NBA...

As for the argument about Berry and Paige, I think Berry will do just fine from here on out....At the beginning of last season, he looked like a fish out of water at times, mixed with the Deer in the Headlights look.....However, I think the injury he suffered gave him a chance to relax, get a different perspective about his role on the team, and see how the game is played at the College level because once he returned from that injury he was a different, more confident PG than he was prior to that injury....

These Berry comparisons to Lawson are ridculous.....Lawson was thrown into the fire from the git go, but he had more options on the perimeter in Ellington and Green, and he had a finisher who wanted the ball inside in Tyler Hansbrough.....Berry didn't have any of that last year, so his development was slowed somewhat because of that IMO.....What we seen at the end of last year, was an emerging player who should have a breakout Sophomore season this year.....

Rather than be critical, I think that I will instead look forward to even more development this year from JB when he starts the season as the starting PG for the Tarheels with a veteran in Paige there to help him along......As a Tarheel fan, how can you not be excited about that?

Again, good luck to JPT with his NBA aspirations, and can't wait for next basketball season to begin.....

Go Tarheels!

...It wasn't addition by subtraction, but more along the lines of his skill set in the chemistry of the team game plan doesn't fit well.

when a talented player leaves but team chemistry improves, that is addition by subtraction. tokoto's athleticism will be missed, but his inconsistency and mental errors won't. in crunch time tokoto often hurt the team with turnovers or poor shot selection. i wonder if the pros will tolerate that as much as roy and his teammates did?

as somebody else shared, the addition by subtraction thought process centers around the locker room dynamic from this year. JP is a tremendous athlete, but nothing more than a decent basketball player, arguably less than that at the NBA level. do i think he has a chance to make a roster? sure i do. but he doesn't posses the skill set to stay in the league. he can't shoot a lick or dribble. If you watched any of those live scrimmages, it was about C quality in compared to a decent college basketball game. kudos to the young man for showing well, but keep it in perspective.

Tokoto has D league then Europe written all over him and there's nothing wrong with that.

absolutely right! a couple hundred thousand a year with a european lifestyle -- not too shabby! i wish tokoto nothing but the best, as i do all our tar heel alumni. but i sincerely believe we'll be a better TEAM without him. whoever gets his minutes won't have his length and leaping ability, but he will have two things jp lacks: consistency and concentration.

I for one wish he had WANTED to come back and do things Roy's way. It seems neither stipulation applies to JP, in which case it is better for all that he leave. I wish him well. I will be surprised if he doesn't hit some "bumps in the road" due to attitude. Hope I am wrong and that he is successful in all the right ways.

Exactly. but understand that Theo will have the same issues. Recruiting "athletes" a the 2 who aren't really true shooting guards is where we have had challenges. With how we use 2 gaurds, Theo will essentially be relegated to the line of similarly skilled guys we've had at the position who weren't true shooting gaurds, from JManual to MGinyard, to JP, and now Theo. Their roles were really more role player/utility guys. Hoping that Theo can refine his skill set so he can "morph" into the shooting gaurd position much in the same way that MJ did. When MJ first began his career, he was more of a SF than he was a SG. By the end of the season, he was able to quickly develop the other areas of his game like shooting and ball handling that allow him to truly transition into the position by February of his frosh year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT