ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Open thread and predictions

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
i hear some pros are already moaning about the setup...looks like a real test to me...it's got a links feel to it with fast greens.

your top three finishers and score...

i'll go with:

day

fowler

moore

Jordan Spieth

Dustin Johnson

Jim Furyk

wiinner at -6

Beat me to the punch on this thread

I am going with FOWLER as my #1 Pick

Then

Stenson, Ooosty, Phil and Spieth

I'm going with a lesser known first time major winner. Won't be ranked top 25 before this win.

I just can't remember his name right now though.

phil is playing well right now and after his win at the British he really understands links golf

He will need it because after looking at this course it will require accurate driving and pinpoint iron shots with a very imaginative short game

Phil clearly has the short game and if he can drive the ball well he will do well here IMO

BTW the cablanasian will NOT make the cut here IMO

i predict outrage friday afternoon.

the problem we're gonna find here is that open courses in europe are links course, but flat...a us open course setup adds the elements of length, green speed, and rough...add to the fact that this area hasn't seen natural rain in two weeks, oh my goodness...i can hear phil complaining now about how unfair this is...it very well might be "unfair" but it's the typical usga test, in that, you just can't tell what they are going to do.

i know this, if they don't move the tees up and don't over-water after tomorrow, chambers bay will never see another.

Some of these greens are in terrible shape .............Poa everywhere, bumpy and no true roll to be had.............. and this is Thursday. God knows what they will be like Sunday

well so much for my Fowler pick and Oosty too .fowler may have been more shocking in his debacle than the Cablanasian

Speaking of him, he is an absolute basket case. he needs as I said a few weeks ago, to go begging to Butch Harmon for help and TRY and get his game resurrected.

Still really like Stenson and Phi..........l both are right in the mix.

Greens are a mess ............really poor putting surfaces for an Open.

Fowler :D

Tiger is done. Amazing decline for an athlete who was SO dominant in his sport for SO long. I'm still kinda shocked to be honest.

This is the worst conditioned US Open course of the modern era. But it's still gonna be fun to watch.

Patrick Reed will win.

this is the usga...brown is better, for many reasons...the greens are actually better today than yesterday...the course is fine by all accounts.

there's no rule on lushness or color...topography is another issue, not very friendly to player or fan.

Dustin Johnson and I went to the same high school, it would be pretty cool to see him win it

Reactions: gteeitup
This course would never make my golf bucket list. Just too much weirdness/silliness for me. The closest course to it that I've ever played is Tobacco Road near Sanford. That being said, it's good to see Speith, Johnson, and Reed handling it so well and in contention. I'm not sure why the USGA felt they needed to hold the U.S. Open here though.

This course would never make my golf bucket list. Just too much weirdness/silliness for me. The closest course to it that I've ever played is Tobacco Road near Sanford. That being said, it's good to see Speith, Johnson, and Reed handling it so well and in contention. I'm not sure why the USGA felt they needed to hold the U.S. Open here though.

I can only hope that they never return, that course isn't my cup of tea for the US Open. By the appearance from a television viewers perspective, that is one ugly-ass course to watch 4 rounds of golf.

Reactions: grillheel
This course is also VERY ANTI spectator. It is VERY difficult to walk and in fact is so tough that they have closed ,I believe, two holes to spectators .NONE are allowed on those holes because of the terrain. #8 is one of them I think

This is a One time deal for the Open here that is for sure.

Dustin Johnson and I went to the same high school, it would be pretty cool to see him win it

he was in the junior program when i was with the scga...even way back then he was bombing it past everyone...not as decorated as others though, had a lot of outside stuff going on.

also, to each his own on the course, but i recall the same complaining from fans last year at the "new" old pinehurst...elevation change or topography is one thing, but the course is holding up well per usga...imo, it's a great test because it's not winged foot or olympic club.

Couple of guys I play with have played Chambers...said its actually a great, fun golf course. USGA seems to have really screwed it up this week.

I've got a couple of trips coming up that include playing US Open venues Merion on the 30th and Oakmont next month. Was supposed to play Baltusrol too but unfortunately fell through. Other great courses Laurel Valley, Caves Valley, Stanwich too! Can't friggin wait!

Hoping Spieth can hold off the field. Should be a great finish!

WOW!!! Just wow.... He goes from a 12 footer to win it all...to three putting and losing!!! Golf is a cruel game sometimes

I was on vacation last week and had suspect wifi and my phone was getting spotty service. But I promise that I attempted to submit my picks the day gtee created this thread. My picks were Spieth, DJ and Justin Rose. But I also called a darkhorse - Patrick Reed. And I called -4 as the winning score. I fully understand if no one wants to believe me.

On to the tournament, here are some thoughts:

1 - Fox should be banned from ever covering a golf event again. The coverage was so bad it became comical. Even the great Joe Buck was a disaster. The Shark was decent, but you could tell he was a greenhorn. Brad Faxon looked so bad on the set that it almost looked like it was someone dressing up as Brad Faxon for Halloween. The cameras consistently failed to pick up the balls, the commentary was flat out wrong at times and it just seemed very Mickey Mouse-ish. Fox should stick with football and baseball.

2 - That course - whoa. I've never seen anything like that. It almost looked British Open-ish but those greens, my goodness. I agree that Chambers Bay and the USGA should catch some heat for the condition of the course. Amazing scenery though.

3 - Despite the poor conditions and the miserable coverage, that was one hell of a finish. It had it all - lost balls, eagles, the leader double bogeying, great shots, meltdowns, etc. If anyone still thought Spieth was a flash in the pan, this put an end to that. I think he's easily the best, most consistent golfer in the world. The moment did not at all seem too big for him. Unlike Spieth, the moment seemed to overwhelm Johnson. He was shaky all day with his putter. Some of his putts looked amateur. I knew when he knocked it within 12 feet on 18 that he'd either make the first putt and win outright or miss the the first, miss the second and lose. No way he was making a 4 footer to make a playoff. I was sick for him but frankly, the only reason he had a chance was because of one errant swing by Spieth. Johnson played poorly all day.

I think we all know which poster correctly picked the top 2 finishers of this year's open.

: stands and waves to the crowd :

well I did pick the top 2 just did not give an order of finish...... but I give it up to billy

lol @gunslingerdick with his faxon comments...he reminded me of barry manilow with bed head...and his constant back and forth with boring corey pavin became unbearable...i was hoping norman would castrate more, but he was rather calm...i know he hates the pga of america, but i was waiting for the usga bomb drops.

but i agree, fox is horrible and shouldn't be allowed to cover an event again...and i don't need that bimbo at the end critiquing rounds with players.

Now don't go knocking Miss Holly!!!!

She happens to be a very good player and a pretty attractive woman

Married to a schlub though

Now don't go knocking Miss Holly!!!!

She happens to be a very good player and a pretty attractive woman

Married to a schlub though

she's stupid with that post-round bs...put her in the booth if she wants prove her knowledge to
me...this felt very ufc to me.

lol @gunslingerdick with his faxon comments...he reminded me of barry manilow with bed head...and his constant back and forth with boring corey pavin became unbearable...i was hoping norman would castrate more, but he was rather calm...i know he hates the pga of america, but i was waiting for the usga bomb drops.

but i agree, fox is horrible and shouldn't be allowed to cover an event again...and i don't need that bimbo at the end critiquing rounds with players.

Fox was just terrible.

Reactions: grillheel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT