ADVERTISEMENT

UNC, academics, and the NCAA

Mackinac

Sophomore
Nov 30, 2014
Glad we are getting at least some rumors of possible good news regarding the men's basketball program. Always admired Carolina and the way they did things, even long before I became a UNC fan. I trust the positives will continue to shine and we will defend vigorously any false allegations.

Seems to me, we (or someone) should insist that academic coursework , along with progress, should be thoroughly investigated across the NCAA. What courses and curriculum are all these borderline students taking to stay eligible and even post high grades? Let's face it, we all recruit the same , and we wall know very few high profile athletes could make it in a normal collegiate curriculum. So, how do they stay eligible at power football and basketball schools across the country?

By the way, I'm all for allowing them in. It's a noble path to an education. But, let's not pretend they all become college level students over night. Let's set a curriculum that educates them but is open and tailored to their academic level.

Go Heels!

The NCAA doesn't want that. College SPORTS is a multi-billion dollar business. The NCAA knows these kids don't belong at these schools. They admitted that to everyone by giving minimum entrance requirements for athletes, below those for the schools. How the heck can a kid legitimately carry a course load at a school that he couldn't get in to without his athletic ability?!? It's a farce and ludicrous that anyone acts shocked that schools have adapted to the reward system that feeds the coaches and schools millions of dollars per year.

The NCAA doesn't want that. College SPORTS is a multi-billion dollar business. The NCAA knows these kids don't belong at these schools. They admitted that to everyone by giving minimum entrance requirements for athletes, below those for the schools. How the heck can a kid legitimately carry a course load at a school that he couldn't get in to without his athletic ability?!? It's a farce and ludicrous that anyone acts shocked that schools have adapted to the reward system that feeds the coaches and schools millions of dollars per year.

Wow... great post!

What I love is how they can bullsh*t themselves and still call it "amateur athletics." That is denial to rival any I've ever seen.

Which to be fair is better than the old Carolina Way... Which was to cheat and thump your chest and say you were better than anyone else and didn't have to cheat.[/QUOTE]

So, your favored program does not have easy grade programs for your athletes? Is that your position or it is that your program has not been caught with theirs because I have news for you, they are there in your school as well and your athletes are taking them boss.

Ya see, we ALL fish out of the very same pond for the VERY SAME fish. Now UNC in YOUR words cheated by having easy grade classes that allowed our athletes to remain eligible, that is the barb you launched at us. So tell me, when they commit to your school, do they automatically develop classroom skills they never before displayed, do you give them some magic pill that increases their brain usage 50 fold, or is it more likely that your school has its own version of our AFAM program and keeps YOUR athletes eligible there? You tell me, what is more likely, you tell me, what is going on at YOUR school boss man.

Yeah, I get it, it is great fun to poke at us, I mean you guys have been second fiddle to the flagship school of the ACC UNC, or should I have said 5th or 6th fiddle? So finally ya have something you can throw back at us when we share our belief and love for UNC. Thump our chest, is or has that been the problem? You didn't like our thumping our chest, is that it, you didn't like our feeling better than you, is that your issue? Well let me ask you, civilly, considering how your one & only post was less than civil, is it wrong in your book to love your program above all others, do you not share your love of your program, do you not consider your beloved program to be the best in the NCAA? And yet you begrudge anyone else for feeling the same concerning their most loved program?

So let me see, in your one post here you hate on us for having easy grade classes just like your program has, you hate on us for loving our program above all others, if you are a Clemson fan I suppose you hate us for beating you for the last 100yrs or so in basketball in Chapel Hill? Did I get all that right? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Which to be fair is better than the old Carolina Way... Which was to cheat and thump your chest and say you were better than anyone else and didn't have to cheat.[/QUOTE]

We're better than you anyway, be it the new way or the old way. If you were better than us, we'd be posting on your board instead of you posting here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love the 1st-post contributors. If you're gonna come talk smack on our board, at least be man enough to use your real screen name. Coward.

Drive-by posters that almost never return . . . kinda like the little kid with the baseball bat smashing in mail boxes.

Reactions: Ford_corners
...and this guy would've been the doofus who swung and missed :p.

Or the kid that forgot his physics, that bat has a recoil if one is in a car...and dang hard to 'splain to Dad how the back winder got smashed...o_O

Wow... great post!

What I love is how they can bullsh*t themselves and still call it "amateur athletics." That is denial to rival any I've ever seen.

That is a great post. But here is the rest of reality. First, the easy part, focused just on sports. If the NCAA rules o admissions were for each school, then almost all national titles would be won by low admission standard schools. The reason is that the vast, vast, vast majority of top football and basketball players could never get admitte dto a Dook or UVA or UNC - or Michigan or Notre Dame or Wisconsin, etc.

Second is the matter of affirmative action. All schools, save open admission, have lowered admission standards for those who meet affirmative action quotas, which are usually euphemized as goals. Even a college a close to open admission as Mississippi State or Southern Miss, has lowerd standard affirmative action admissions and scholarships.

So, the NCAA is handcuffed by society that wants to have its cake and eat it too. The best it can do is tweak with some raised standards for athletes.

Reactions: heelbent
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT