ADVERTISEMENT

UNC baseball commitment Josh Ladowski gives up football

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
Lake Norman senior Josh Ladowski excelled this past fall for his school's football team. The quarterback won the Gatorade Player of the Year award for North Carolina, and he'll be going to the University of North Carolina on an athletic scholarship.
But he won't be playing football. Ladowski is going to UNC on a baseball scholarship.
"He's the type of person, and the type of competitor that he could pick up a badminton racket, or a lot of sports, and be pretty good at them really quick," said Trey Ramsey, Lake Norman baseball head coach.
Ladowski committed to the Tar Heels in the summer between his sophomore and junior years, but he had hoped he would be able to play both sports in college. That wasn't in the cards.
"With an NCAA scholarship, he's a partial scholarship to play baseball at Carolina," said Rob McNeely, Lake Norman football head coach. "If he were to play another sport, it would count towards their scholarship allotment, as well."
"I didn't realize that until after football season this year," Ladowski said. "When I signed, I realized that would be the end of football for me."
Ladowski admitted he'll miss the football game day experience for the rest of his life. However, he doesn't regret his decision.
"I'm excited to play baseball," Ladowski said. "It's been my dream since I've been eight years old when I started playing travel ball to play at Carolina. So there's no second guessing that."

Josh Ladowski

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT