ADVERTISEMENT

UNC receives NOA...

I saw it on Twitter. Evan Daniels is reporting that we received the NOA from the NCAA today. The findings or allegations will not be released to the public until a later date.

Let's get this thing going!!
And... it's important to keep in mind that this is the result of investigations into the WHOLE athletic apparatus --- not necessarily men's basketball --- so the allegations could be for women's basketball (quite likely), and/or new allegations could come for football (also likely), for example.
Whatever they are, UNC must be continue to be proactive in addressing failures, but aggressive in defense when necessary. Unless they've come up with something beyond the Report, any allegation concerning men's basketball beyond a "failure to monitor" would be an overreach and should be opposed with all the University's resources.

After the NoA is redacted, we are where we were 5 years ago... IMO, in the end I'd look for the "loss of institutional control" and fines...and I'd fire back that response well within the 90 days just to speed things up...and it sure seems this would land more on the football side. Men's b'ball is okay.

There's been some water cooler talk in the last week or so, the whispers going around seem to make me think that our rivals in Rawlee are going to be a little unhappy when it is all said and on its way to being done.

Taking an AFAM course or majoring in AFAM is in no size or shape an NCAA violation. I posted the key relevant sections of the Report concerning men's basketball in another thread. You should check it out.

Or, maybe he should just 'check out' and ride on . . . he's already made an a$$ out of himself in the Dean Smith picture thread.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
The whispers I've heard are there are no ineligible players in the NOA.
This^^^. And playing ineligible players is the key to any "vacating" of games or titles as the UK and State types so desperately want. They will indeed quite likely be disappointed.

This^^^. And playing ineligible players is the key to any "vacating" of games or titles as the UK and State types so desperately want. They will indeed quite likely be disappointed.

I like it when you and I are on the same page, Coach . .

The number wasn't available a couple weeks ago, but I suppose UNC could do its own calculations and get a close approximation.

Scores are out next week and we're expecting a perfect score.

Probably not what you wanted to hear though . .

;)

At UNC during those times, no classes attended, it is a violation. That is what this whole academic scandal is about.

Sounds as if you already have the answer you want, regardless of what we are telling you . . and since we're not going to agree, I don't think you posting here continually is going to change our mind or yours.

See ya . .

I guess we'll know next week.

All I know is there doesn't seem to be any worry from Coach Williams . .

Feel free to stop in late next week when we'll have the exact score.

Don't invite them back Billy.....they're like roaches. They'll bring more & never leave:

LOL . . . you're probably right.

I've been instructed by the Mods to be a little more congenial towards posters though, so I'm just practicing . .

Here's what the trolls are likely looking at:

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/5/1...and-basketball-apr-scores-are-a-tad-worrisome

Now, I am not a math major, but this doesn't seem to be insurmountable. Not great, not something to be proud of, but not something to lose sleep over either. It also points out WHY these scores should be concerning given the timing of some bad years.

Again, not something to be too concerned about.

They are reading a faulty article which says you need to hit both the 2 and 4 year thresholds. That isn't true. You have to hit one of the 2. We need a 935 to be fine over the 4 year threshold.

Thanks for the civil response coach, but I do not think your math is accurate. According to the story I linked, and others like it, UNC basketball had a 917 APR for 12-13. The program has to have a two-year average of 940. That means that UNC would have to get a 963 or better this year to avoid falling into ineligibility. That seems clear in the article I've linked above. THat's a 963 after getting a 917 last year, and a 909 a few years ago.

I'm surprised the program hasn't issued the basketball program's APR number. Almost every program in the country has.

No reason for there not to be a civil response. I've never been one to buy in to the model of being a jerk to someone on a message board simply because the pull for a different team than me.

I used the article you linked. In that article it says "In 2014-15, the NCAA standards get stricter. By then, the NCAA will require teams to post a four-year score of 930 or a two-year average of 940 to play in the postseason." I then used the search option in the article to come up with the APR for UNC Men's Basketball and what the APR would need to be for UNC to be banned from the post season. I looked at it as single year scores, but it already had a running 4 year average. I looked at it wrong.

Here are there scores for running 4 year average from the article you linked.
2012-13 - 938
2011-12 - 959
2010-11 - 963
2009-10 - 985

I also found UNC's annual numbers of 2013- 917, 2012- 959, 2011- 909 and 2010- 961.
So, using the two year formula UNC would need a 963 in 2014. To qualify using the four year formula they would need a 935.

Last edited:
No reason for there not to be a civil response. I've never been one to buy in to the model of being a jerk to someone on a message board simply because the pull for a different team than me.

I used the article you linked. In that article it says "In 2014-15, the NCAA standards get stricter. By then, the NCAA will require teams to post a four-year score of 930 or a two-year average of 940 to play in the postseason." I then used the search option in the article to come up with the APR for UNC Men's Basketball and what the APR would need to be for UNC to be banned from the post season. I looked at it as single year scores, but it already had a running 4 year average. I looked at it wrong.

Here are there scores for running 4 year average from the article you linked.
2012-13 - 938
2011-12 - 959
2010-11 - 963
2009-10 - 985

I also found UNC's annual numbers of 2013- 917, 2012- 959, 2011- 909 and 2010- 961.
So, using the two year formula UNC would need a 963 in 2014. To qualify using the four year formula they would need a 935.
Those are football scores bball is lower. Its like 907 918 and 963.

It comes out to needing 935 this year. Not a hard number to get.

I missed the edit. You got it right. 935.

Last edited:
can't believe we're close to not even making the cut line...wtf is going when we have to worry about eligibility and retention!?!?

sorry, didn't mean to rant about this at this time.
Not close to not making it. Kentucky fans just using nc state journalism to get stupid delusions.

That low number comes off next year too.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Everything I've read makes it sound like the NOA is A LOT more tame than it could have been. The things we care about (vacated wins, postseason bans, scholly losses) appear to not be part of the punishment.

Reactions: HEELS1984
The things we care about (vacated wins, postseason bans, scholly losses) appear to not be part of the punishment.
Only if by "we" you mean UNC basketball fans. There are plenty of "us" who care about other Carolina sports that might not be so lucky.

Keep in mind that a Notice of Allegations is exactly that: a list of allegations about which rules were broken and by which sports. The University will have a chance to dispute any of the allegations it doesn't agree with before the NCAA makes its final determinations and issues penalties. That's a long-winded way of saying that that the information in the NOA gives UNC an idea what it's up against. While insiders aren't offering specifics, early indications from a variety of sources suggest that no allegations have been made against men's basketball or football. That is really, really good news for the two most visible parts of the athletics program.

No, but unlike you he knows how a NOA works.
In his defense, he is on about the LoA and not the NoA. Not surprising he doesn't know how a NoA works.

Why did this buffoon even get 5 posts on our board before getting banned?

Kentucky has so many more NCAA major violations than us it is a joke. To hear this one going on about a Notice to us because they are trying to beat us in a courtroom since they can't beat us on the court is just silly.

Only if by "we" you mean UNC basketball fans. There are plenty of "us" who care about other Carolina sports that might not be so lucky.

Keep in mind that a Notice of Allegations is exactly that: a list of allegations about which rules were broken and by which sports. The University will have a chance to dispute any of the allegations it doesn't agree with before the NCAA makes its final determinations and issues penalties. That's a long-winded way of saying that that the information in the NOA gives UNC an idea what it's up against. While insiders aren't offering specifics, early indications from a variety of sources suggest that no allegations have been made against men's basketball or football. That is really, really good news for the two most visible parts of the athletics program.

Good post RH....agree

We don't know what the NoA says but all we so far have gathered is that it is not an academic fraud issue but a lack of institutional control issue. Being Kentucky has both Academic Fraud and Lack of Institutional Control Major Violations, you should be well-versed in them.

We don't know what the NoA says but all we so far have gathered is that it is not an academic fraud issue but a lack of institutional control issue. Being Kentucky has both Academic Fraud and Lack of Institutional Control Major Violations, you should be well-versed in them.

Kentucky fans don't care....Like Cal said the other day," he wasn't interested in last year's team winning the National Title, but rather they were concerned about how many players on last year's team were drafted in the upcoming draft".....

Glad to hear that Kentucky doesn't care about winning titles anymore...

Whatever is in the NOA pales in comparison to Kentucky's past problems with the NCAA and for Kentucky fans to argue otherwise is dillusional, but expected....

Glad this long nightmare is finally coming to an end, and hope that there will never be something like this again at Carolina in my lifetime...

Everything I've read makes it sound like the NOA is A LOT more tame than it could have been. The things we care about (vacated wins, postseason bans, scholly losses) appear to not be part of the punishment.

dadika13, It seems our old "friend" Art "done deal" Chansky has raised his pen...and said very much the same thing. I just hope he is closer to the mark with this than he was on Roy coming back from KU round 1...o_O

A lot of teams would be facing "issues" if their program had been given the "fine tooth comb" work over we got. That would never happen with most programs though , because they would be looking more for internal investigations as a cover up rather than exposing their warts.

They could start over there I Derm and go back 5 years and uncover the TRUTH associated with the Lance Thomas $70 k illegal jewelry deal

Illegal benefits??That place reeks of it

Reactions: Showenuff
ADVERTISEMENT